Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Hodgson Retirement

vCash

Matt Hodgson Retirement

Apparently the Western Force have tweeted that Matt Hodgson will retire at the end of the 2017 season.

I don't have Twitter but I saw the post on GAGR.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Heroic Hodgson Hangs Them Up

Road Safety Western Force club legend and inaugural player Matt Hodgson has today announced his retirement from professional rugby after 12 spectacular seasons with the Western Australian club.

The 35-year-old announced to his teammates yesterday that he would be hanging up the boots at the end of the season after 139 Super Rugby appearances in a career that has included three Nathan Sharpe Medals, four Geoffrey Stooke Force Man Awards and 11 Wallaby caps.

The hardnosed backrower started at openside flanker in the club’s inaugural match against the Brumbies in 2006 and has represented the blue jersey with distinction, bravery and unwavering commitment ever since, including four years as club captain from 2013-2016.

A favourite of the Sea of Blue, Hodgson says the decision was an emotional one but feels the time is right to hand the reigns over to the promising next generation coming through the club’s ranks.

“It is a privilege to be able to retire on my own terms while still playing the brand of rugby I’ve always strived to deliver. I hold the opportunity to play for my country and the [Road Safety] Western Force in the highest regard and I hope that I have always shown this through the way I have played.

“The last few years I have enjoyed being the Captain and being part of the coaching team at the Force. It has made my decision to retire from playing easier; as I know that I have many ways to contribute to the team without the broken bones and stitches.

“Thank you to every member of the Sea of Blue whose love and passion for rugby lifted me up in the hardest times and shared the joy of every high. No fans in any sport are as loyal and passionate as our Sea of Blue. We have done it hard but we have always done it together. It is because of you that I stayed in WA and have proudly made it my home for the future.

“I’m proud that over the last 12 years WA has become a new generation stronghold of rugby in this country. Our value and real contribution to the game is undeniable at a grassroots level through to the national level. I am excited to be continuing my investment in rugby in this state as I take up a role within the Force organisation moving forward.”

Road Safety Western Force Coach Dave Wessels says Hodgson’s service to the club and rugby in Western Australia cannot be overstated.

“In many ways ‘Hodgo’ is the life and soul of our club, which you can see in the way he throws his body around on the field.

“He’s been an incredible support to me and the rest of the team over the last few months, which I will always be very grateful for.”

Wessels’ also says that he is thrilled with the decision of Hodgson staying on at the club in a coaching role.

“We’re delighted that he’s agreed to join us in a coaching capacity next season and will add a huge amount to our group.”

Club captain and long-time teammate Ben McCalman expressed his gratitude for everything Hodgson has done for the club and himself personally as a leader.

“For me personally, ‘Hodgo’ has had a huge effect on my career and more recently has been incredibly supportive in the captaincy role.

“Matt has been an enormous part of this club and has brought so much passion and courage to the blue jersey.”

Matt Hodgson - Force Player No. 7
    Position: Openside flanker
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 101kg
    DOB: 05/03/1984
    Super Rugby Debut: 2006 v Brumbies, Perth
    Road Safety Western Force Caps: 139
    Super Rugby Points: 95 (19 tries)
    Test Debut: 2010 v Fiji, Canberra
    Test Caps: 11

Representative Honours:
    2002: Australian U21s
    2004-05 & 2008: Australian Sevens
    2005 & 2008: Australia A
    2010: Australian Barbarians
    2009-11: Australian Wallabies
    2011: Rugby World Cup
    2014: Australian Wallabies

Individual Honours:
    Nathan Sharpe Medal - 2009, 2010, 2014
    Geoffrey Stooke Force Man Award – 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Rugby Union Player’s Association Community Service Award - 2016

Source: Western Force .com.au

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    A legend in his own lifetime, Matt thank you for the memories and the blood sweat and tears you gave on our behalf for the club.

Enjoy retirement when it comes it has been well earned.

The lasting memory for me will be your proud dad that addressed us at TWF player of the year presentation expressing what it meant to him that you had found a home and life in WA.

Thank you

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Not easy to express how much Hodgo and his family contribute to this club. Just thanks very much. And thanks for deciding to continue to do so in future.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I am going to read a bit into this with the cutting thing going on.

A smart man who knew the Force didn't have a hope would be signing up to a new contract and then when they are cut will just ask for a payout. Free money all day. So Hodgo must be pretty confident we are good as gold.

Force safe = Confirmed.

vCash
    We have to do something special for the last game. Any ideas??

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He will be sorely missed but we can only hope that the Force survive and Matts influence will be just as strong coming out of the coaching box!

May the FORCE be with you!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Perhaps we could get a petition going to name a stand after him at NIB? Or we could get like a book and get everyone (the sea of blue) at the next home game/s to sign it as thanks? Get people to sign it as they enter/leave and present it to him on the last game? Might be a bit hard to orgainse though.

vCash
    Don't mention stickers Andrew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    He will be sorely missed but we can only hope that the Force survive and Matts influence will be just as strong coming out of the coaching box!
    Force aren't going anywhere but UP -Snob! Bet on it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollo144 View Post
    Perhaps we could get a petition going to name a stand after him at NIB? Or we could get like a book and get everyone (the sea of blue) at the next home game/s to sign it as thanks? Get people to sign it as they enter/leave and present it to him on the last game? Might be a bit hard to orgainse though.
    Didn't we try this with Sharpie?

vCash
    Great to see Hodgo going out with his timing and still at the top of his game.

Hope the calf strain comes good so we can at least see him against the Tahs (and maybe the Rebs).

Captain Couragious still showing the younger (and one older) OSF how to play the game.

Name:  2017-06-16_10-49-03.png
Views: 1175
Size:  46.2 KB

PS. Hodgo's birthday is 25 June 1981.

Last edited by andrewg; 16-06-17 at 13:27.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I am going to read a bit into this with the cutting thing going on.

A smart man who knew the Force didn't have a hope would be signing up to a new contract and then when they are cut will just ask for a payout. Free money all day. So Hodgo must be pretty confident we are good as gold.

Force safe = Confirmed.
    Not really.
    This was always going to happen - as it's in line with Hodgo's current contract:

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...son-signs-2017

By Fraser Smith on Thu 20th October 16

The Western Force are proud to announce the re-signing of club stalwart Matt Hodgson for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The openside flanker and three-time Nathan Sharpe Medal winner will head into his 12th season with the club - who along with Pek Cowan - are the last inaugural players of the Western Force.

“It’s great to put pen to paper and I’m thrilled to be here for another season,” he said. “I always wanted to keep playing at the Force and as long I’m adding value I want to be a part of this team.”

The 131-capped veteran says the recent signing of players and coaches are exciting developments for the club.

“We’re going in a new direction, which is fantastic. Having a world-class coaching group with different skill sets and different areas of expertise is great.

“I’ve played with Shaun Berne, and know that he has an excellent mind for the game and the experience of Alan Gaffney goes without saying.”

In the coming years, Hodgson will look towards the end of his incredible career with the club he started with, and transition into a skills coaching position- something he has always wanted to do

“I guess you could say this contract is in two parts, one being the playing aspect and the second moving into a coaching position and being part of the club in that way for a long time into the future.

“It’s something as a club we are looking at; trying to get players more involved in different aspects of rugby as a business and coaching genuinely excites me.

“I want to become a mentor to the younger players coming through, to be a sounding board for transitioning players and hopefully push them into long successful careers here in Western Australia.”

As part of this progression, Hodgson will do more hands-on coaching next year and be officially part of the coaching structure from 2018. This dual player/coach role formalises something Hodgson has already been doing for a long time - working collaboratively with the coaches, providing integral insight into the match day player experience and opposition analysis, that is second to none.

“I’ve already worked closely with the coaching team over the last four years and to do this in a more official way with ‘Blood’ (Dave Wessels) and the other coaches is a great opportunity. I’m confident we can develop a style of play that will get the best from our players and be truly entertaining for the Sea of Blue to watch.”

Because of the additional responsibilities, of his new role Hodgson has requested to step aside as match day captain; allowing a new captain to be appointed in due course. The decision also gives Hodgson the opportunity to pass on some of the knowledge he’s accrued during his time at the helm. He will remain an integral part of the leadership group that has worked hard to create and maintain a culture of high values and standards.

Western Force Head Coach Dave Wessels says that Hodgson’s signing is another big step forward for the club.

“’Hodgo’s the life and soul of this place,” he said. “He’s been here from day one, and I think when many people think of the Western Force they associate that with Matt Hodgson.

“For us, as an organisation it’s just a fantastic thing to have him recommit, I don’t think there was any doubt in Hodgo’s mind that he wanted to stay.

“In fact what has taken a little bit longer to finalise is that we want him to stay longer - post his playing days. The idea is we want to build a legacy at this club with the people that are important to us, and Matt is exactly the type of person that we want to hold on to long-term.”

“I heard a great story about Matt; when the Force were founded and had only one spot left in the squad, there were two players interviewed for the position. One of them was ‘Hodgo.'

“After the meeting, Hodgo sent a text to then coach John Mitchell and said ‘Regardless of who you pick I appreciate you taking the time to chat with me. But - if you do pick me - I will never let you down…’ And he’s been true to his word – he’s never let us down.”

Last edited by jono; 16-06-17 at 10:50.

vCash
    I could drive him round the pitch in my mini

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Didn't we try this with Sharpie?
    Yes we did... nothing came of it..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast