Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hodgson Retirement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Didn't we try this with Sharpie?
    It did come up. I remember someone gave some sage advice at the time that it was a little premature and someone really worthy might come to the fore afterwards. He sure has. Said with greatest respect to Sharpie.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Nick Taylor sums up the man who gave it his all

The West

There is a story that embodies everything about Matt Hodgson.
    When the Western Force had one spot left in their foundation squad two players were interviewed. One of them was Hodgson.

After meeting then coach John Mitchell, he sent him a text.
    'Regardless of who you pick I appreciate you taking the time to chat with me. If you do pick me I will never let you down’, he told Mitchell.
    The man known simply as 'Hodgo' has lived up to his promise. Wearing his heart on his sleeve, no player has shed more blood for the Force.
    He has been pummelled and battered on the field, putting his body on the line and sporting the wounds for the cause – in 139 games so far.

Season after season he has been among Super Rugby's top tacklers and pilferers.
    There is nothing fancy or flashy about his game. He is simply fearless, leading with courage.
    He may leave the field completely exhausted, usually as the best and most consistent player, but he always has time for the fans in the Sea of Blue. At the end of this season, he will leave the field for the final time.
    There is a moment that will be a lasting memory for all who witnessed it that showed another side to Hodgson.
    Minutes after the Force had beaten the Southern Kings this season Hodgson was forced to front a media conference after being told his side and Melbourne Rebels had been identified as ARU targets for the axe from Super Rugby.
    Still bearing the scars of the game he was close to tears, his voice breaking as he tried to explain what the club meant to him.
    It was raw emotion. The man who is the heart and soul of the Force was gutted and not afraid to show it.

Perth team scores win on the field but may be forced out of the Super Rugby competition.
    And there is another very private face that few people see.
    Hodgson, a qualified mental health first aider and an ambassador for the Livin’ charity, has been counselling players who are under increasing pressure over the uncertainty of their playing future, guiding teammates through the tough time.
    Just as he has never taken a backward step on-field Hodgson has stood up to fight for his team against the ARU.
    “It’s frustrating what the top-level administrators are doing, bringing the game down like this,” he said.
    “It’s ruining the game."
    Hodgson started in the club’s maiden Super Rugby game against the Brumbies in 2006, he has been honoured as the club’s player of the year three times and played 11 games for his country, highlighted by captaining the side against the Barbarians in 2014.
    He has become a cult hero for the battler, unique in today's climate where big money-to-move is banded around - a player who will see his career out at one club.
    He had lucrative offers to go overseas but remained loyal to the Force and has been at the forefront of growing the game in Perth.
    When he signed on for one last season he said: “You have times when you’ve got options to move but the Western Force gave me that first opportunity when I was a young bloke and I thank them every day when I put on the jersey.
    “He has become a cult hero for the battler, unique in today's climate where big money-to-move is banded around - a player who will see his career out at one club.”
    "They gave me my opportunity. If the Force were not here I don’t know if I ever would have played Super Rugby.”
    Coach Dave Wessels said: “Hodgo is the life and soul of this place. He’s been here from day one, and I think when many people think of the Western Force they associate that with Matt Hodgson.”
    Hodgo deserves more in his last season than to see his club threatened by extinction.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    thanks Hodgo for your all,

In regards to a send off, maybe with the face painting usually on offer at the games (if they still exist) we paint stitches on our face. more than a few times has Hodgo gone home with stitches

Champion
    vCash
    They say the mark of man is if he left the place better off then when he arrived. Hodgo epitomizes this saying. The Force are a better club for Matt Hodgsons involvement. Australian rugby is better off for Matt Hodgsons involvement. Pocock, Koteka and Hardwick are all better rugby players for Matt Hodgsons involvement. I think the clubman of the year award should be renamed after Hodgo.

We are forever in debt to Matt Hodgson and his passion and sacrifice for our beloved Western Force. Thankyou Hodgo.

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    The "Matt Hodgson clubman of the year" award.

Somehow I even think Matt would prefer to be associated with this award than the MVP award.

With Sharpie and Hodgo we have two players who have established the culture of the Western Force. These guys are players that our future young bucks can look to as examples of what it means to be a Western Force player and a good human being.

Our up and coming stars like Coleman and Hardwick can look to these to guys when they are tempted to think too much of themselves and be grounded by the humility and courage that they embody.

Thanks Hodgo for everything you have been and will be to the Force.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Now, Matt, Palmyra have this container load of Panasonic wide screen TV's, see ....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks for everything Hodgo, no one has more respect within the sea of blue and you have earned all of it through your enormous contributions on and off the field. Very pleased you are staying on in a coaching role.

Hopefully you will retire from your roles with the Force in a couple of decades or so!

vCash
    what a great player for club and country him and his family sacrificed a lot for the sea of blue and i just pray that all he has given to rugby in this state will continue with the Force in 2018

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Now, Matt, Palmyra have this container load of Panasonic wide screen TV's, see ....
    do they come with warranty?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hodgo is now elevated to legend status!....

Champion
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Tazzmania;432567]Nick Taylor sums up the man who gave it his all

The West

I reckon it's a pretty good summing up for the great man too

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88509147z

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks Hodgo for everything you've done so far. I'm happy that you are staying at The and helping out more.

Does anyone know if :champion: turns into an emoticon of Hodgo?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Matt Hodgo has resigned to take up his new position as ARU CEO.. As after next week there will be some vacant spots over at 29-57 Christie St, St Leonards NSW 2065...

Player
    vCash
    Hodge you ARE the force - cannot begin to find the words- except looking forward to next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Yes we did... nothing came of it..
    Well we did name the awards night after Sharpie. Not sure we have any control over NIB for naming a stand but we could give it a crack. Hodgo's record may never be eclipsed so we have to come up with something significant with long term legs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast