Thread: SA's Super Rugby decision set for July 7

vCash

SA's Super Rugby decision set for July 7

Cape Town - SA Rugby has called a special general meeting for next month to confirm the four South African entrants into a revised Super Rugby competition from 2018.

The meeting will take place in Cape Town on July 7, 2017.

In a press statement released on Wednesday, SA Rugby said the general meeting has the constitutional responsibility for “determining the SA teams to participate in Super Rugby”.

Read more: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super...rants-20170614

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Their process has been way too smooth from what we have come to see from ZA rugby.

I wonder if the proverbial will hit the fan after the teams to be cut are named.
    interesting times ahead I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Their process has been way too smooth from what we have come to see from ZA rugby.

I wonder if the proverbial will hit the fan after the teams to be cut are named.
    interesting times ahead I think.
    I have already ordered a few hundred kilos of popcorn in anticipation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I have already ordered a few hundred kilos of popcorn in anticipation.
    Probably have been cheaper if you got kernels. would have saved on shipping volume

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Here's a thought imagine if they have secured the placement of two teams in the pro 12 and the stormers and lions are the two teams cut/transferred.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    If the South African Rugby board have managed to guarantee access to the Pro 12 for the two sides on the Super Rugby chopping block I don't think there will be much to it. I also think it could be the start of the demise of Super Rugby.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    If the South African Rugby board have managed to guarantee access to the Pro 12 for the two sides on the Super Rugby chopping block I don't think there will be much to it. I also think it could be the start of the demise of Super Rugby.
    And there in lies the big difference! Aus will just shut a team/state down. SA will keep their team and the fans still get to watch.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Reports say the distribution of TV money between the 6 teams will still be equal. In that case how do we know it will just be a case of 'the cut teams' going to the Pro12? Theoretically it could be done, say, along regional lines - e.g. they could say the 2 Gauteng teams (Lions and Bulls) or Cape teams (Stormers and Kings) play in Pro12 and the rest of the country plays in Super Rugby. That would prevent one being seen as lesser to the other.

Either way I agree it would be the beginning of the end of Super Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    And there in lies the big difference! Aus will just shut a team/state down. SA will keep their team and the fans still get to watch.
    I mentioned this in another post - the ARU should have been looking out for Australian Rugby, they were asleep at the wheel for years. South African Board hinted they would pull out, and they are testing the waters. Australia may have to follow soccer's example - National League Competition with the Bulk of the international team coming from overseas. Hoping the Lawyers will save the Force - the fact that the ARU has requested arbitration and the process is basically "in camera" - good luck with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Here's a thought imagine if they have secured the placement of two teams in the pro 12 and the stormers and lions are the two teams cut/transferred.
    There could be inhouse fighting in SA a the 2 teams going North might be on better deals than the ones left behind.. Might see all the SA teams wanting to head north..That would piss the Kiwis off big time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    There could be inhouse fighting in SA a the 2 teams going North might be on better deals than the ones left behind.. Might see all the SA teams wanting to head north..That would piss the Kiwis off big time
    Folks the Cheetahs and Kings will go, and join the Northern emisphere rugby. Lions and Stormers would simply NOT GO, let's please not get carried away. The Kiwis WANT the strong SA teams in superRugby (which is the same reason why they reject the idea of national conferences followed by playoffs) and they have let's say a fair authority in the picture, and the flying for these teams to go to Europe would be much worse. The two bottom feeders will go.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Not sure the Kiwis would get a vote at all. What do you think would happen here if there were one spot in another competition and the players in that team would be getting paid overs...reckon it would be the Force, or the 'Tahs that went?

The flying will be interesting though, that is true. Generally shorter flights up to Europe and in the same timezone, but more of them depending on the details of how they manage the logistics & playing in a SA summer. In fact, all the logistics will be very interesting once they get the details.