Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rebels Coach Leaving - SMH

vCash

Rebels Coach Leaving - SMH

Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan will depart the Super Rugby club at the end of the season.

McGahan will leave with the franchise's future uncertain, awaiting an Australian Rugby Union decision that could axe them from the competition.

McGahan has failed to take the club to the finals since his appointment after Damien Hill's sacking in 2013, with the Rebels last in this year's Australasian group standings.

MORE TO COME

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I wish the more to come would be Rebels axed so we could all move on and start enjoying rugby again and planning for next year. Wishful thinking.. Sigh

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Get ready for Pandarum dreaming up a load about Weasels considering a move to Melbourne. He and Payton will be pissed off that their leaker could not give them the scoop. Out of the loop nowadays?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Get ready for Pandarum dreaming up a load about Weasels considering a move to Melbourne. He and Payton will be pissed off that their leaker could not give them the scoop. Out of the loop nowadays?
    Well the ARU COO was supposed to finish sometime in June

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I also heard that about 10 Rebels players have agreed to terms with other franchises

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Rebels fans have Wessels and Barakat lined up as replacement coaches LOL!!

vCash
    Apparently McGahan wants to join a team with a proven winning track record and will join the Perth Spirit

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Rebels fans have Wessels and Barakat lined up as replacement coaches LOL!!
    I get too triggered by Rebels fans, most of them speak about they don't want any team cut, all the while talking about poaching Force player/coaches when we are inevitably cut. (in their minds)

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan will depart the Super Rugby club at the end of the season.
    McGahan will leave with the franchise's future uncertain, awaiting an Australian Rugby Union decision that could axe them from the competition.
    McGahan has failed to take the club to the finals since his appointment after Damien Hill's sacking in 2013, with the Rebels last in this year's Australasian group standings.
    MORE TO COME
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...b5e210f6ed7a88

And on and on and on it goes.

vCash
    Yeah Wayne beat P & P to the punch with the Wessels story as predicted by Shasta!

Champion
    vCash
    No coach
    No players
    No sponsors
    No crowd
    And have bled money, $33 million accounted for, probably more

Please tell me again why the ARU want to keep this disaster. Bloody muppets.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    No coach
    No players
    No sponsors
    No crowd
    And have bled money, $33 million accounted for, probably more

Please tell me again why the ARU want to keep this disaster. Bloody muppets.
    Yup! That pretty much sums them up!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am almost convinced now that the writing is on the wall and most of our players will be going to the Rebels and probably Wessells now as well. Hopefully I am wrong but that is what it feels like.

vCash
    WAYNE SMITH
    Senior sport writerBrisbane
    @WayneKeithSmith

It is understood that Melbourne Rebels head coach Tony McGahan has come to terms with the club and will be moving on at the end of the Super Rugby season.

McGahan refused to comment when contacted last night but sources close to the Rebels indicate that he was worn down by the Australian Rugby Union’s drawn-out process of deciding which team, the Rebels or the Western Force, would be forced out of the competition this season.

The uncertainty about the future has affected everyone at the club, players, staff and coaches, but as the head coach McGahan had to carry the burden of putting on a brave face and trying to get his footballers focusing purely on the rugby.

It did not help, though, that the Rebels have been hit by a disastrous injury toll and several times this season have been forced to delve into club rugby to find players to fill their bench and, in the case of Will Miller and Hugh Sinclair, spots in their starting side.

The Rebels looked to be setting themselves up for great things when they strung together seven wins in the 2015 and 2016 seasons but, even following the recruitment of rugby league star Marika Koroibete, they have battled to make an impression on this year’s Super Rugby.

Saddled with a draw that pitted them against four New Zealand teams in their first five matches, they have struggled right from the start. Perhaps had they won their other game in that sequence, against the Waratahs, they might have turned things around but after leading by 19 points at halftime, they were overhauled in the final play of the match as NSW escaped with a 32-25 victory.

It is not known what coaching role McGahan, who hails from Queensland, will move onto but certainly he is highly respected in Europe, having coached Munster to the grand final of the 2010-11 Celtic League against Leinster. He was, as well, director of coaching when Munster beat Robbie Deans’ 2010 Wallabies in a tour match at Limerick, a performance that helped secure him a place on Deans’ coaching staff as defence coach in 2012.

It will not be easy replacing a coach of “Dumper” McGahan’s stature but it is understood that if the Force are culled by the ARU, the Rebels will move strongly to recruit the current Perth coach, Dave Wessels. That might, indeed, be the best result by far for Australian rugby since the Rebels have already signed nine Force players conditional on the WA franchise losing its Super Rugby status.

Meanwhile, Australian rugby is struggling for a break with forecast rain clouding hopes of even a modest crowd of 30,000 for the Wallabies’ Test against Scotland at Allianz Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

After attracting only 13,583 spectators to last weekend’s Melbourne Test against Fiji — which the Australian Rugby Union attributed to a protest by Melbourne Rebels supporters about attempts to cull the club from Super Rugby — the ARU was hoping for at least a 30,000 gate for a Test against the fifth-ranked Scots.

But even that modest threshold might be a bridge too far if, as forecast, it rains on Friday and Saturday in the lead-up to the Test that has been scheduled at 3pm.

Despite the Melbourne crowd being the lowest in the 21-year professional era, the Wallabies turned on an attractive brand of football against Fiji, running in five tries. Although Scotland is viewed as the toughest of the three June Tests, coach Michael Cheika will be loath to substantially change the side that performed against the islanders when he names his Test side later today.

Only saving grace in this is the "conditional on" statement
    The "best result by far for Australian Rugby" bit is absolute bullshit as Alison's data and the talent development in WA both clearly demonstrate - what have you been smoking Wayne Smith?

Last edited by Macattack; 15-06-17 at 16:14.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Who are the nine players? Not blaming them they are taking charge of their own destiny which is what I would do in the same situation. The way the article is written it alludes to well known in the right circles.

The bullshit behind people boycotting for the bad attendance is just plain dumb and shows the disconnect and political shenanigans going on behind the scenes. 13k is how many people give a shit about rugby enough to pay the price of admission in Melbourne. My opinion would be the same if it happened here. Without a major draw card which brings in over seas and interstate travellers this is what you are going to get in Melbourne.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast