Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SA teams queue for Pro12

vCash
    Might be the same time zone, but how long is the flight?

Super teams playing in a "second rate" comp? Not sure if this is insulting to pro12, I literally dont know who they are, but it doesnt sound like the Eurotrash big boys Heineken, Aviva, ProFrog etc etc

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Every time saru comes up with some freakin stupidity plan to stuff up super rugby they follow immediately with "if you don't like it, we'll play in Europe"

I've always said let em.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

Super teams playing in a "second rate" comp? Not sure if this is insulting to pro12, I literally dont know who they are, but it doesnt sound like the Eurotrash big boys Heineken, Aviva, ProFrog etc etc
    About 12 hours I think

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Every time saru comes up with some freakin stupidity plan to stuff up super rugby they follow immediately with "if you don't like it, we'll play in Europe"

I've always said let em.
    You haven't been the only one.

SARU have constantly held Super Rugby to ransom over their own agenda.

The conference system was only introduced because SARU wanted teams in finals, when that didn't work they introduced the 18 team concept with an even worse conference system because they had to bow to their political masters in the ANC and wanted teams in finals.

Now they're realized it's f**ked and they want to cut and run.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...dcc1740f85cde2

Embattled Australian Super Rugby clubs may yet win a *reprieve and compete in next year’s streamlined competition and beyond.

Reports from South Africa suggest that not only will the Southern Kings and the Cheetahs leave Super Rugby to join Britain’s Pro12 competition but that a third team from the republic wants to join them, giving Australia a lifeline.

Writing for Alloutrugby.com, journalist Craig Ray reported that not only were the Kings and Cheetahs prepared to leave Super Rugby in response to SANZAAR’s plan to cut the 18-team competition down to 15, but they are in fact happy about the arrangement.

Not only will they be admitted to the Pro12 competition — shortly to be Pro14 or even Pro15 — but they have negotiated an equal split of the broadcast rights. Payment will be made in pounds sterling, which obviously are far less volatile than the rand. Moreover, all of their travel would be within the same time zone.

So good do the arrangements sound that Ray claimed a third South African side — the Lions, Bulls, Stormers and Sharks are the only ones left — is also toying with the idea of abandoning SANZAAR and heading directly north.

If this scenario is true, it could be the forerunner of the break-up of SANZAAR, at least as far as provincial rugby is concerned, which in turn would lead by accident to Australia’s preferred rugby option, a trans-Tasman or possibly trans-Pacific series.

In the short term, however, there also could be massive ramifications for the Australian Rugby Union, which is caught in a bind as it tries to cull either the Western Force or the Melbourne Rebels from the competition. Both are vigorously resisting eviction and even if the ARU wins the decision against the Force when their battle goes to arbitration in the WA courts, the matter is certain to drag on at least until August.

But if the six South African teams are whittled back to three, then SANZAAR would have its preferred 15-team model without shedding any blood. The only difference is that the Sunwolves of Japan, who presently are a member of one of the two African conferences, would have to stay put there instead of transferring across to the Australian conference. The remaining fifth team in the *African conference would be the Jaguares of Argentina.

“The fissures in SANZAAR are quickly developing into a cavernous void,” Ray wrote. “South African franchises are coming round to the idea that they might be better served in a different competition, happy to leave New Zealand and Australia to entertain each other.”

That is precisely what Australia would prefer, though the Kiwis have opposed the idea. But there is no appetite in Australia to stage matches against the South African teams, which traditionally draw poorly. While a trans-Tasman competition would generate a much smaller broadcast rights deal, there would be compensations. The travel budget, for one, would be halved.

The ARU disputed elements of Ray’s story, notably his claim that SANZAAR held an emergency meeting last week (via conference call) to try to unscramble the egg that is the culling of three teams, mainly to humour Australia. The ARU insisted there was a scheduled phone hook-up but in no way was it an emergency meeting.

Yet it would be safe to say there was considerable interest in Ray’s assertion that South Africa finally is turning its attention to Europe. In a sense, it would get the ARU off the hook with SANZAAR if three South African teams headed into the Pro12. While it would not solve the problem of Australia lacking the financial capacity to sustain five teams, there is no question a trans-Tasman competition would be much cheaper to run than Super Rugby.

In that event, five teams becomes doable, especially if the WA and Victorian governments press ahead with the aid they promised the Super Rugby franchises in their states. As the Own the Force campaign to sell shares in the Perth club to its fans showed, the one benefit of this whole exercise in cutting Australia’s Super Rugby presence from five teams to four is that it has energised parts of the market that had never before been tapped.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

The Pro 12 are:
    Ireland: Leinster (Dublin), Munster (Limerick), Ulster (Belfast), Connaught (Galway)
    Wales: Cardiff, Ospreys (Swansea), Scarlets (Llanelli), Newport
    Scotland: Glasgow, Edinburgh
    Italy: Zebre (Parma), Treviso

In the 16 years since Pro 12 was started (2001) their teams have won the Heineken Cup (Champions Cup) 5 times (Leinster 3, Munster 2) and been losing finalists twice (Munster & Ulster). They have also won the Challenge Cup twice (Leinster & Cardiff) and been losing finalists twice (Pontypridd - now disbanded & Edinburgh). Pro 12 are not pushovers (well, except Zebre & Treviso) and regularly have a team in the Heineken Cup semis (this year 2) and about half the time a team in the final. I still reckon the Cheetahs will cruise it, but they'll have to get used to playing NH teams week in, week out, in a NH winter and a very attritional set-piece dominated game.

Jo'burg to London is 11-12 hours, plus travel at either end, so it's not inconsiderable travel, but many of the flights seem to be overnighters, so your body clock doesn't get messed up and you don't miss a day with travelling.

SA tried joining Europe in 2005 and there were rumours of negotiations in 2009.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Thanks Sheikh, yes those are some good teams. Agreed the travel and conditions will not suit - good luck with that.

I thought i read somewhere that it also comprised a some American teams thus confusion.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I thought i read somewhere that it also comprised a some American teams thus confusion.
    They're in talks with a Houston franchise - reports say Canada and Georgia are also interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2