Thread: WA's AFL clubs lock in Perth Stadium deal

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

WA's AFL clubs lock in Perth Stadium deal

Joe Spagnolo, PerthNow
    June 4, 2017 12:00am

THE Eagles and Dockers have agreed to a deal of up to 50 years with Perth Stadium operator VenuesLive, signalling a breakthrough in the long negotiations to stage AFL at the Burswood venue next season.

Details of the deal, agreed to in principle this week during a two-day meeting between the parties and the AFL, are being kept secret but relate to commercial issues, such as how much rent and hire fees the two clubs will pay VenuesLive.

It is understood one of the terms agreed was that the clubs would be allocated 50,000 seats for their members, while the remaining 10,000 seats would be carved up between visiting teams and the general public.

So-called super memberships, which allow cashed-up fans to purchase a seat to every event at Perth Stadium, would be included in the 10,000-seat figure.

The signing of the user agreement was now expected to happen within weeks. VenuesLive chief executive Mike McKenna said the agreement had been a long time in the making.

“To be fair, it has been progressing steadily for a few months but we have got to a point now where there is virtually nothing left (to negotiate) on a commercial sense,” Mr McKenna said.

“Now that we have got to this stage it needs to be reviewed by the State and get feedback. But, yes, we are happy with this.”

A Western Derby is set to be played at the new Perth Stadium next year after a deal was struck with WA's AFL teams.

There remains one more hurdle to AFL games being played at the new stadium next year — agreement on an annual $10 million deal between the WA Football Commission and the State Government to fund local football, which should be finalised this week.

Premier Mark McGowan confirmed yesterday AFL boss Gillon McLachlan would fly to Perth on Tuesday to attend a meeting between the State and the WAFC about the deal.

Mr McGowan, who revealed the official opening of the stadium would happen in January or February with a free event dubbed People’s Day, said he wanted the deal locked in.

“I think the offer put on the table by the former government was more than generous,” Mr McGowan said.

“That offer was $10.3 million a year, over 10 years. (The sticking point) is the amount and longevity of the payments. (The WAFC) wants 50 years of indexed payments of more than $10 million. So, I’m not happy about that.”

The WAFC, which owns the Eagles’ and Dockers’ licences and still has a 72-year lease on Subiaco Oval, declined to comment.

The Eagles, Dockers and AFL also would not comment. Sources said the WAFC was of the belief the Government should honour a commitment made by former premiers that WA football would not be financially disadvantaged by the new stadium.

Mr McGowan said the WA public would be invited to visit the stadium for free early next year to mark the opening.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...652f2948e2cc99

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So-called super memberships, which allow cashed-up fans to purchase a seat to every event at Perth Stadium, would be included in the 10,000-seat figure.
    These type of Memberships are what caused New Zealand to miss out on co hosting the 2003 RWC. They were not able to offer "clean" stadiums. I hope this has been considered, but highly doubt it.

On a side note I was invited for tour of the new stadium last Friday and I must say it is awesome. The player facilities, food and bev, corporate boxes, the whole shebang is looking amazing

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Jesus a 50/10 split is a huge achievement for the clubs, especially when you can anticipate that there will be +/- 3000 stadium members who want to go to all footy matches, the rugby and the cricket that's played there.

Notwithstanding whether the WACA manages to come to an agreement for entry rights as well.