Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Rebels have a new CEO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Jim Tucker Retweeted
    Rich Freeman‏ @FreemanrugbyJPN 8h8 hours ago
    More
    Rich Freeman Retweeted RUPA
    #Honda Heat announced this week that birthday boy Jack Debreczini will join club for the 2017-18 Top Challenge League (2nd division) season.
    So the article about unidentified player describing this shitfest effect on players must have been the Rebels, as he said a player was already going to Japan. But is it true that Masirewa has gone to Japan? Where's Sherlock when you need him?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Not sure if he's already left Val but I'm pretty sure he's playing there next season.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Flew out last Wednesday

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    People I have checked the Japanese sites and I have also seen Aidan toua's name there together with Debreczina and Masirewa. Bear in mind that the Japanese season does technically allow players to return to Super Rugby duties!

Player
    vCash
    Maybe they're in town to explain how they've really got no money this time because they've just spent $33M signing an English lock to play for the Rebels next year?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Why do you say that, Dog?
    Which team needs the most help out of the 'big three'?

Oh hey Dave, we're canning the Force and between you and me the Rebels are next. But don't you worry mate, we've got a great job lined up for you at the Reds once we ditch that steaming pile of crap Stiles.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Got it!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Which team needs the most help out of the 'big three'?

Oh hey Dave, we're canning the Force and between you and me the Rebels are next. But don't you worry mate, we've got a great job lined up for you at the Reds once we ditch that steaming pile of crap Stiles.
    Oh I don't know, the statement sounds just as believable written

Oh hey Dave, we're canning the Force and between you and me the Rebels are next. But don't you worry mate, we've got a great job lined up for you at the Tahs once we ditch that steaming pile of crap Gibson.

or even

Oh hey Dave, we're canning the Force and between you and me the Rebels are next. But don't you worry mate, we've got a great job lined up for you at the Brumbies because Bernie finally did OK with them, but now we've got <insert name of invisible Canberra club coach here> and everybody knows how that's going to turn out..

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Anything from the little birdy?
    Nick (he's not the birdy btw) covers it all here http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...018#post432018

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Iain Payten‏ @iainpayten · 41m41 minutes ago
    Melbourne Rebels have announced the signing of England and Lions lock Geoff Parling for 2018 Super Rugby season.

What a joke, I assume the ARU will now be paying out English player contracts if they fold the Rebs.
    Super Rugby: Geoff Parling's Melbourne Rebels contract contains special breakdown clause

The Melbourne Rebels have signed former England international and British and Irish Lions second-rower Geoff Parling for next season but his contract will not necessarily be paid out if the franchise is cut in 2018.

The announcement of Parling's signing comes at an interesting time, with the Rebels clearly confident they will be saved from the chopping block next season given owner Andrew Cox will not sell his Super Rugby licence back to the Australian Rugby Union.

Last week the ARU lifted its moratorium on Super Rugby player contracts and promised to honour all deals.

Parling, a member the Exeter's English Premiership winning team that beat Wasps 23-20 on the weekend, is the first signing by an Australian Super Rugby franchise since the moratorium was lifted.

Some have perceived Parling's deal as a smart piece of work by the Englishman, given that if the Rebels did somehow cease to exist, he would be paid out his entire 2018 contract with the option of going and plying his trade elsewhere.

However, it won't be that simple for Parling.

When the ARU lifted the moratorium, there was also a condition which states that any player under contract for 2018 has to make an effort to move to another Super Rugby club if their own team folds.

Therefore, if the Rebels somehow ceased to exist next season, in order to receive his money, Parling would be asked to join another Super Rugby club and take his services there.

If that did not suit Parling, he could then ask for an early release from his contract and be free to leave and look at his options elsewhere.

Nonetheless, the signing of Parling, who has played 32 Tests for England, is a major positive for the Rebels moving forward.

"Geoff's signing is a strategic recruitment for the club as we look to evolve our squad and program for 2018 and beyond," said Melbourne Rebels chief executive Baden Stephenson.

"Geoff boasts a wealth of international and domestic experience in successful rugby programs so he will contribute to the strong leadership at the club, along with his world class lineout skills and hard running qualities which will complement our squad."

Parling said he is looking forward to his time in Australia.

"After some really enjoyable years in the Premiership, I'm excited about the opportunity to test myself in the southern hemisphere that Super Rugby brings," Parling said.

"Hopefully I can add value to the Rebels, and help the team continue the great growth and profile of rugby in Victoria."

Other Englishmen who have played Super Rugby include Danny Cipriani at the Rebels and James Haskell at the Highlanders.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...06-gwl82i.html

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So with Kane Simmonds and Leroy gone from Reds, I guess he goes to Reds if Rebels get cut.

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 07-06-17 at 10:34.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Assume so. Haven't seen anything of him at all in the premiership but don't imagine he would be anything much better than Simmons.

Maybe feel a bit for Simmons now. Hasn't been great recently but don't know if that warranted the reds declining to offer him a contract, there's not been any talk in the media of negotiations or reduced offers. Just Sayonra..that for a bloke who has been a stalwart for the club and generally not a d$ckhead off the field.

That's pro rugby I guess. probably means that stiles should stop banging on about loyalty though.........in fact get on your bikes stiles.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    As alluded to, with Coleman, Phillip, Matwijow, RHP, Simmonds (sorry for including with those 4) potentially available how could The Rebels be allowed to sign this guy.
    Laughable
    FUBARU indeed

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    "The best we can do in terms of certainty is to say to players, 'no matter what the outcome you'll have the certainty of having your contract honoured' -
    This was supposedly to ease psychological pressure on the players at the franchises under threat. Instead we see a franchise using this to sign players from overseas while plenty of their own men still sweat it out. Are the ARU crying poor on one hand and leaving themselves open to further unnecessary costs on the other? Or are they just incompetently knee jerking their way thru with no brainstorming of all possible outcomes?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4