Thread: More ARU Support for The Reds

Apprentice
    vCash

More ARU Support for The Reds

Looks like more assistant to the Reds to sign players

"Whether Genia returns really rests with the Australian Rugby Union putting up the money to buy out the European loose ends"

.ttp://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/aru-key-to-bringing-queensland-reds-legend-will-genia-home/news-story/9de798b7b54e68430358eb6483420dc6
    "

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    How can this be justified in the current scheme of things. Give Genia his dues but he is in the twilight of his career and it clearly demonstrates that the ARU are guided by the power brokers.
    If this takes place it should be outlined during the court hearing for the ARU to explain. How do you aim up at the Western Force and then open up the empty purse to the REDS or the Waratahs. Remembering Hunt and several others are off contract soon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Another reason why the financial unsustainability argument for going from 5 to 4 is a load of tosh!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Despite the rhetoric from the ARU- the uneven playing field continues.
    These are all $$s that could have gone to grass-roots rugby.

Extra-ordinary payments by the ARU to enable the Reds to get Hunt, Cooper - twice (including the payout to Toulon), O'Connor (?) yet they can't point to a single similar payment for the Force's benefit.

So pleasing to have a team of players who want to be in the West.

IMO the Reds are welcome to Genia.
    I have a long memory re his reneging on the verbal deal with the Force.

PS The word on the street is that the Reds don't want him - but Cheika does so will be interesting watching this one unfold..

Last edited by andrewg; 02-06-17 at 12:21.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

IMO the Reds are welcome to Genia.
    ................and there is also the fact that we have Louwrens and Ruru, who both seem capable of stepping up to another level.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Yuuup, Reds are welcome to him, but it's a shame that any expected savings from not paying 30 players' salaries last year will be eaten up by the Reds making the same mistakes they always have.

Surely stuff like this is grist for Mr McCusker's mill and will make it harder and harder for the court to rule in the ARU's favour?

I assume the ARU will petition for the hearing to be held in a Qld court and presided over by Willy Genia's mum and a jury of GPS colts.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yuuup, Reds are welcome to him, but it's a shame that any expected savings from not paying 30 players' salaries last year will be eaten up by the Reds making the same mistakes they always have.

Surely stuff like this is grist for Mr McCusker's mill and will make it harder and harder for the court to rule in the ARU's favour?

I assume the ARU will petition for the hearing to be held in a Qld court and presided over by Willy Genia's mum and a jury of GPS colts.
    I know very little about the law. But I doubt any of the ARU's bungling of the finances etc will have any bearing. I think that would be seen as a matter for it's stakeholders to sort out. I reckon it will simply be a matter of whether the alliance agreement stands or the ARU argument of "changed circumstances" voids the agreement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I know very little about the law. But I doubt any of the ARU's bungling of the finances etc will have any bearing. I think that would be seen as a matter for it's stakeholders to sort out. I reckon it will simply be a matter of whether the alliance agreement stands or the ARU argument of "changed circumstances" voids the agreement.
    That is true.

Perhaps it will open the door for the ARU to be sued by Rugby WA in case we lose the injunction case.

vCash
    I have no problem with Queensland chasing Will Genia.

My problem comes into the equation the second he is linked with an ARU deal in an attempt to get him home. Queensland should be forced to compete in a free market be it against the other Australian sides or cashed up European sides. Queensland should be forced to front up the cash to attempt to lure him home, not go cap in hand to the ARU to open the purse.

How can the ARU claim any semblance of an even playing field in terms of playing contracts while handing over the purse strings to Qld and NSW is beyond me.

The AFL altered the playing field in terms of draft picks and salary caps for the expansion sides because they want their expansion sides to be successful ASAP where as the ARU runs a protection racket for NSW and Qld while letting their expansion sides wither on the vine to the point where one of the sides is the firing line.

The thing that grinds my gears the most is that Genia will be parachuted into the Wallabies line up while there are better prospects running around Australia already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

With the Brisbane symphony and choir society singing the club song!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    The ARU would and should find itself hard pressed to justify paying out his contact when they currently get the milk for free under the Giteau clause.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I have no problem with Queensland chasing Will Genia.

Queensland should be forced to front up the cash to attempt to lure him home, not go cap in hand to the ARU to open the purse.

How can the ARU claim any semblance of an even playing field in terms of playing contracts while handing over the purse strings to Qld and NSW is beyond me.
    ....and therein lies the cunning bastardry that is the ARU contract system that has survived the "best practice" governance (what a contradiction in terms that turned out to be!!).
    By limiting what each franchise can pay per player the traditional powerbase has pretty much controlled where the best players end up.
    The only ways out are...
    1. The ARU desperately wants a new team to succeed and gives them a series of massive leg-ups.
    2. The franchise twigs early on that they are cast adrift and bends the rules to stay in the game.

Of the two examples one way is a failed money pit, still bleeding like a stuck pig.
    The other upstart was severely punished for having the temerity to do what it had to to survive, did so, and is still punching above it's weight.