Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Force v Hurricanes Sat 3rd JUNE 2017 7.55pm

vCash
    I think I saw another poster say the ref never gave us a chance. We had 16 phases In one passage of play and we spent so long in the Hurricanes 22 I thought a ranger from the Town of Vincent was going to come and hand out infringements for setting up an illegal camp site.

We had the ball down their end of the field for what had to have been close to 30 minutes for zero points during the first half, all that tells me is that we stuggle to break down a well organised defence. On one or two occasions during the first half we had a two man over lap and yet we kept trying the crash over one out from the ruck. We have forwards starting from a standing start frequently and when they do go wide the defence can just drift with the ball because we never seem to use an inside runner or even a decoy runner.

Even from the multiple penalties we received and kicked for the corner only to go for rolling maul time after time after time after time with zero variation, well that was after we lost the first couple of line outs on our own throw.

The scrum was a shambles at times, and we're being ministered off the ball even when the Force were on a defensive scrum the Canes were able to put on a monster shunt.

First Hurricanes try came from a pointless kick that didn't find the line, the Hurricanes intent should have been evident from the 2 kicks before it where the Canes ran it and ran it hard.

Last night I felt as if we were watching a side coached by Michael Foley again.

Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Come on Jargs man surely you might have noticed a couple of inadequacies in tonight's officiating?
    They probably went both ways so I don't see the point in singling out any singular decisions, even the yellow card for DHP came from the TMO and not Hoffman.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 06-06-17 at 10:51.

Player
    vCash
    With all the time we spent in their 22 picking and driving would we have scored if offside by the hurricanes was better policed? I think so. Multiple times the hurricanes had feet on the try line but hands on the ground, that is offside. It means they are better braced to repel pick and drives. We've been penalised for it, I seem to remember Isa being yellow carded for it. Why was it ok last night?

Would we have won, no. Would the score be more reasonable, yes.

vCash
    That habit of the ball carrier running from a a standing start is infuriating.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargs
    ...Last night I felt as if we were watching a side coached by Michael Foley again...
    Sorry jargs, I have to disagree...vehemently...on this one

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Senior Player
    vCash
    Apropos the tactical discussion re the sometimes illegal smarts of NZ teams, this article by Kaplan is interesting.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...31-gwhrjj.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Apropos the tactical discussion re the sometimes illegal smarts of NZ teams, this article by Kaplan is interesting.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...31-gwhrjj.html
    He misses the tactic that is probably my biggest bugbear, the "Hit the ruck on the fringes and fold around the side to fall on the wrong side of the ball" It's a consistent one used by almost every kiwi forward and, although they don't stay there long, it allows enough disruption for the tackler or a second player to get hands on the ball and start competing genuinely. If we tried it, the whole motion would be too slow and it'd be obvious that we're walking around the outside of the ruck purely to kill the ball, but the kiwis do the exact same thing so fast that they're there before the ref realises what's happening and the second or two of clear access to the ball afforded to their jackals ensures a whole heap of pressure at the breakdown.

They turn that breakdown pressure into slow ball for the opposition and that's where a lot of their line speed comes from.

I personally believe that this is a consistent tactic that is coached from the junior levels of the game, because the kiwi teams are also the best in the world at combating it, watch a New Zealand derby game, they try it, most of the time they deal with it and the games are massive as a result.

I still think it's as against the spirit of the game as the Chiefs attempt at negating offside by avoiding commitment to the ruck.

C'mon the

vCash
    After cooling down somewhat & watching the replay, sole blame can't be directed at the Hoff (even if he is my 'fave'), I'm failing to see what point there is having touchies, they may as well have been invisible at that game. It just appears that refs/linespeople can't keep up with the speed of the game and are out of their depth. But how the TMO is allowed to make the decisions & overrule the ref I don't understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    But how the TMO is allowed to make the decisions & overrule the ref I don't understand.
    It isn't possible under the law

6.A.4 The duties of the referee in the playing enclosure
    (a)
    The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match. The referee must apply fairly all the Laws of the Game in every match.

and

6.A.7 Referee consulting with others
    (a)
    The referee may consult with assistant referees about matters relating to their duties, the Law relating to foul play or timekeeping and may request assistance related to other aspects of the referee’s duties including the adjudication of offside.

LAW AMENDMENT TRIAL

(b)
    A match organiser may appoint an official known as a Television Match Official (TMO) who uses technological devices to clarify situations relating to;
    (i)
    When there is doubt as to whether a ball has been grounded in in-goal for a score or a touchdown.
    (ii)
    Where there is doubt as to whether a kick at goal has been successful.
    (iii)
    Where there is doubt as to whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding the ball in in-goal or the ball has been made dead.
    (iv)
    Where match officials believe an offence or infringement may have occurred in the field of play leading to a try or preventing a try.
    (v)
    Reviewing situations where match officials believe foul play may have occurred.
    (vi)
    Clarifying sanctions required for acts of foul play.
    (c) Any of the match officials including the TMO may recommend a review by the TMO. The reviews will take place in accordance with the TMO protocol in place at the time which will be available at laws.worldrugby.org.

CLARIFY SITUATIONS and CLARIFY SANCTIONS are the only things a TMO is allowed to do, I don't see anywhere in the law, or the variation being trialed that suggests a TMO may enforce a sanction, nor is there anywhere that suggests he/she may even recommend a sanction, much less ignore the Referee's interpretation of THE EXACT SAME FOOTAGE and overrule a response by the referee.

sour grapes from the Queenslander I reckon!

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    . We had 16 phases In one passage of play ...

Even from the multiple penalties we received and kicked for the corner only to go for rolling maul time after time after time after time with zero variation, well that was after we lost the first couple of line outs on our own throw.

The scrum was a shambles at times, and we're being ministered off the ball even when on a defensive scrum the Canes were able to put on a monster shunt.
    This! We had too much possession inside the 22 to not score a try in the first half. If something is not working, change it, don't be so one-dimensional.

Lineouts were horrid, and this after Wessels told us on Wednesday night that they needed to get better at the maul. We could not get the maul set (only once did I see us set it properly and that they came in from the side). Most of the time they drove right through the middle.

And how many times did the Canes strip the ball from a ball carrier 5m from the line. Hold on to the ball please.

I thought the boys fought hard, but anything less than 2-0 against the Tahs and Rebels at home should be deemed unacceptable.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8