Thread: Why Can't RUPA Do This?

Champion
    vCash

Why Can't RUPA Do This?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...328e093ebc765d

THE Australian Cricketers Association has called for an independent investigation after the Herald Sun reported the Big Bash had made a $33 million loss over the first five years of competition.
    Despite being a runaway hit, the Twenty20 competition needed massive upfront investment from Cricket Australia and suffered from underselling its initial TV deal as the BBL tried to make its mark on the Australian summer.
    The massive loss was a result of CA spending $187 million to put on the BBL over the first five seasons, yet returns were just $154 million.

Grow a pair RUPA. Investigate where the ARUs money has gone.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Grow a pair RUPA. Investigate where the ARUs money has gone.
    We know where it went, it's all here http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...975#post429975

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Ross Xenos can't even get a phone that works!

Rookie
    vCash
    If the RUPA were serious about 5 teams, they would go on strike like the Players Associations in the US have done. The trouble is that only 2 of the 5 teams would really consider it since the other 3 are safe. And if you think it would hurt the sport, the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL have all done it multiple times and fans always come back.

vCash
    Apparently strike action is forbidden in the RUPA agreement with the ARU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Apparently strike action is forbidden in the RUPA agreement with the ARU.
    I am pretty sure before unions strike action was always forbidden.

Forbidden strikes seems to me to make strikes pointless. Like a government sanctioned 'protest' where you can only protest about approved messages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Forbidden strikes seems to me to make strikes pointless. Like a government sanctioned 'protest' where you can only protest about approved messages.

Welcome to Australia... the country where for an employee to go on strike first you have to ask the independent umpire if you can have a secret ballot, go through the drawn out process of said secret ballot, and then if it gets up you have to give your employer 3 clear working days (i.e. actually 5 working days cos the first and last day don't count) notice of the fact that you are going on strike so your employer isn't inconvenienced, and then run the risk of your employer being able to lock you out without pay indefinitely! Oh, and you can only do this if the strike is in support of furthering a claim for a new enterprise agreement, and no other reson. AND if you step outside of any of these rules and withhold your labour you can be personally fined up to $30,000.

Not saying this applies to our professional rugby players, just pointing out that in Australia NO-ONE really has a RIGHT to go on strike.

End rant... back to topic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I am pretty sure before unions strike action was always forbidden.

I'm only going by information I've seen around the web on The Roar and GAGR but apparently it is written into the RUPA agreement which is a signed document. If they wanted to strike I would imagine any court would probably order them back to work.

Apparently the NRC is covered by the current RUPA agreement and the players could strike during the NRC but I feel it would be missing the mark, most of Australia doesn't know the NRC exists apart from the truly dedicated Rugby folk.

I also assume it;s why strike action was speculated for 2018 in media back in March/April but I'd say it would be too late by that stage.