Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Player Contracts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    ag - those figures are also only for those who are on top up contrats? Which to be eligible for a player had to have been in the wallabies set up for 3 years wasn't it? (I'm thinking back to mowen here)

So it wouldn't cover "casual" type arrangements where newer players are on match and time payments right?

Or did they scrap the 3 years before top up rule?
    Unsure of the current status of the 2 or 3 year pre-qual for top-ups.

I know that a couple of years ago the ARU was trying to reduce the number receiving top-ups to about 20.

Correct, these numbers DO NOT include the Wallabies casuals who just get match payments.

I think that it was 2011 when match payments were also reduced from $14k to $10k per match.
    It was a bit tough as at that stage players in the Wallabies squad not getting any game time were training for nothing.
    Now they at least get a small day payment to train.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Cross coders and Overseas returners are a different kettle of fish IIRC.
    Only because the ARU would lose all of it's ASC funding if they told the truth ("He's a really nice bloke and he's going to play for Queensland")

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Jeez. If I didn't know better it would seem like they just make it up as they go along and the usual suspects get the benefit.
    Wasn't that always the intent?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    It'll be status Quo unless they need to change it to keep somebody like Hannigan at the Tahs.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

I know that a couple of years ago the ARU was trying to reduce the number receiving top-ups to about 20.

Correct, these numbers DO NOT include the Wallabies casuals who just get match payments.

I think that it was 2011 when match payments were also reduced from $14k to $10k per match.
    It was a bit tough as at that stage players in the Wallabies squad not getting any game time were training for nothing.
    Now they at least get a small day payment to train.
    I believe these days match payments are pooled and shared amongst the entire 30 player squad. The 2 or 3 years before top ups never really got off the ground. There were exceptions left, right and centre. The system doesn't really work anyway- who chooses who should get one and on what basis? Scott Higginbotham, for example, has never performed well for the Wallabies- should he get one on the basis of his Super form? What about Dean Mumm- can't think of a bigger waste of money.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Rampaging Rangi Re-Signs For Two More Years
    By Fraser Smith on Mon 26th June 17

The Road Safety Western Force have added some firepower to their forward pack next season with the re-signing of hooker Anaru Rangi.

The abrasive rake was brought into the side last year, after the Force were struck down with injury, and proved himself ready for Super Rugby. Rangi has then worked tirelessly to improve his set piece skills and prepared himself for a professional rugby career.

The Nedlands representative has played three matches this season in what has been a competitive position to lock down with club stalwart Heath Tessmann and Wallaby Tatafu Polota-Nau commanding the position, but Rangi says the competitiveness for the jersey is important to his development.

“This year has been a big learning curve, just figuring out what it means to be a professional rugby player, the discipline and the dedication mainly. Now that I have that under my belt it’s prepared me well for the next two seasons."

“There is a lot of competition with guys that have played a lot of Super Rugby but I like to think that it drives me to be better and I have learnt a lot off those guys.”

Rangi couldn’t speak highly enough about his time with the Force so far in his career and says that he’s grateful to sign for two more seasons.

“I’m stoked to sign with the Force for another two years, I’ve really enjoyed my first year and I’m happy to be staying on.

“I definitely see my future in Western Australia after getting to this point after playing for ‘Neddies’ and the [Perth] Spirit. Now the Force is my home and I can’t wait to represent the blue jersey in the coming years.”

Road Safety Western Force Forwards Coach Joe Barakat says that there is plenty to like about Anaru Rangi and is excited about the prospect of just how good this man could be.

“Anaru is tough as nails and uncompromising in everything that he does,” he said. “He lifts the intensity when he’s on the pitch, there are no prisoners in the game that he plays.”

“He brings a fantastic mentality to his game, and he just doesn’t like finishing second and having that in your team is crucial.”

Rangi will be pushing his case for the final two games of the season, including the Round 15 clash against ‘Aussie’ rivals the Melbourne Rebels on Friday, 7 July at the Force Field.

Name: Anaru Rangi
    Born: 19/10/1988, Whakatane, New Zealand
    Position: Hooker
    Club: Nedlands
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 113kg
    Super Rugby Caps: 8
    Super Rugby Points: 0
    Super Rugby Debut: Round 10 2016 v Bulls, Perth
    Representative Rugby:
    Perth Spirit (2015-2016)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...two-more-years

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Another very good retention, someone with grunt, go forward and lots of physicality.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Well done Rangi!! Look forward to seeing you play more in the Force colours!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Super news! He's like a rampaging dynamite version of Polota-Nau...!

vCash
    Thanks Anaru, great to see you commit to our team.

Rookie
    vCash
    Hookers (4):
    Anaru Rangi 2019
    Heath Tessman 2018
    Harry Scoble 2017
    Tatafu Polota -Nau 2017
    Would you guys expect to contract 4 hookers or will one of TPN or Scoble go?

Any rumours on TPN?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post

Any rumours on TPN?
    So many variables...

No rumours on TPN. If super drops to 4 franchises then less positions available for hookers to fill so doesnt necessarily mean we will lose Scoble either

vCash
    TPN is on record as wanting to stay in Perth, IIRC.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post

Any rumours on TPN?
    I don't think we would be interested in any Rebels hookers.

Rookie
    vCash
    I love hearing the commentators talk about Rangi when he comes on.
    He has developed a reputation for hitting hard. Possibly the hardest in super rugby.

Great to have him re-sign.

Who's next?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Daley Destined For Two More Years In Perth

By Fraser Smith on Tue 27th June 17

Road Safety Western Force prop Ben Daley has re-signed for a further two seasons with the Western Australian franchise, securing his future until the end of the 2019 season.

The three-time capped Wallaby has played eight games for the club this season, and has been in near career best form, but unfortunately was struck down with an ACL injury in Round 10.

The tough loosehead says it was an easy decision to stay in Perth and is looking forward to being a part of the future of this team.

“I’m super excited to extend my time at a great club,” he said. “I feel like my career has been reinvigorated coming into a new environment and I’m pumped to continue to develop my game over the next few years.

“There’s a lot of young guys that are so keen to play, stamp their authority on Super Rugby and then a really good mix of senior players and having that mix moving forward is really important in the direction of this team.”

Daley further mentioned that the transition to Perth has been an enjoyable one and that he looks forward to furthering his career in sunny WA.

“I needed a fresh start and the move has revived my love of the game and the team were great when I first arrived. With such a great group of young guys in the team showing so much enthusiasm, you can’t help but feed off that and it’s just been a great move for me.”

Head Coach Dave Wessels praised Daley’s season and says he is exactly the type of personnel he wants on his team.

“Ben is a Super Rugby winner and knows what it takes to be successful. He’s shown tremendous courage to overcome a number of injury set-backs to perform at a very high level this season.”

“As a group, we are very particular about the type of personality we are looking for, players must show a maturity to their preparation, be willing to make a contribution to improve their team mates and have a fierce competitive edge.

“Ben ticks all three of those boxes and we’re delighted that he’s agreed to extend his time with us.”

Daley’s rehabilitation is on target and is set to return for Round One next season.

Name: Ben Daley
    Born: 27/06/1988, Sydney NSW
    Position: Prop
    Club: Perth Spirit
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 112kg
    Super Rugby caps: 88
    Super Rugby points: 10
    Super Rugby debut: Round 13 2008 (Reds) v Crusaders, Brisbane
    Representative Rugby:
    Australian Schoolboys (2005)
    Australia U19s (2006)
    Australia U20s (2007-08)
    Queensland Reds (2008-2016)
    Wallabies (2010).

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...re-years-perth

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Wow another great retention: Keep the good news rolling in.

Tight five is were its won or lost so the last weeks retention's are important

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast