Thread: Proposed ARU meeting canned as Super Rugby saga rumbles on

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Proposed ARU meeting canned as Super Rugby saga rumbles on

May 24, 2017 2:13pm|
    by Vince Rugari, AAP|
    Source: FOX SPORTS

THE Australian Rugby Union’s proposed ‘informal’ meeting to outline plans to cut a Super Rugby team won’t happen.

And it paves the way for a possible board challenge in the middle of the June Test window.

The governing body was willing to meet with anxious players and state unions this week to shed light on how it intends to shut down either the Western Force or Melbourne Rebels, amid a drawn-out process and legal battles involving both franchises.

It’s understood that meeting will not go ahead, largely because of scheduling issues.

That means a special general meeting of the ARU, which was triggered last Wednesday by the Victorian Rugby Union and Rugby Union Players’ Association, will proceed next month.

The ARU is working on a date to be announced in the coming days, but it is legally required to give members at least 21 days notice before any general meeting.

If called this week, the SGM would likely be held in the lead-up to Australia’s second Test against Scotland in Sydney.

While RUPA did not call for the meeting with the intention of challenging the ARU’s leadership — simply seeking more details on what is happening behind the scenes — there could be a push for a board spill or a vote of no confidence if other voting members are not satisfied with what they hear.

The ARU announced on April 10 that the Force or Rebels would be removed from Super Rugby, in line with a shift to a 15-team competition, and chairman Cameron Clyne promised a decision would be made within days.

However, nearly two months later the issue has continued to drag on with no resolution in sight, raining concerns over the mental health of players and staff at the affected teams.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/pr...2bc5be11960bf0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I vote David Campese for CEO!!!

vCash
    Scared of a spill motion and desperately hoping to find a solution to this absolute fiasco before one is held - they're probably gone regardless.
    Who do they care about most I wonder.

vCash
    This is turning into a longer running sage than most daytime soap operas.

This is not far to all stakeholders concerned especially the players and their families.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    The cynic in me makes me wonder if they are hoping enough players will sign contracts to go over seas etc so there aren't enough players to fill two squads!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    The cynic in me makes me wonder if they are hoping enough players will sign contracts to go over seas etc so there aren't enough players to fill two squads!
    I'm certain of that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    That would imply a degree of cleverness in the ARU which all their other misdeeds, miscalculations and idiocies don't support.

vCash
    I think the longer it drags on the better chance no team is dropped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Scared of a spill motion and desperately hoping to find a solution to this absolute fiasco before one is held - they're probably gone regardless.
    Who do they care about most I wonder.
    Under the constitution can't call for the removal or inclusion of a board member at a Special General meeting.. It needs to be at the general meeting were voters have 21 days to arrange the meeting..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    I think the longer it drags on the better chance no team is dropped.
    If that is the case then a restructure of the conferences becomes an absolute imperative or the bleeding will continue.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If that is the case then a restructure of the conferences becomes an absolute imperative or the bleeding will continue.
    Is it really that hard to do that for next year onwards until this shite is worked out? How many times has GIGS (and others on other sites) mentioned 3 x 6?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Is it really that hard to do that for next year onwards until this shite is worked out? How many times has GIGS (and others on other sites) mentioned 3 x 6?
    Seems so obvious doesn't it. I'm trying to be hopeful in all this. But I also wonder if they have done so much damage that the goose may be already cooked.

vCash
    Don't forget that South Africa still haven't cut any teams. Sure, there has been a lot of talk about doing this and that but up till now it's all just talk. They are no further advanced in dealing with this than we are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Eleventy billion bnb