Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Force vs Reds

vCash
    Ruck Involvements – Reds v Force

So much easier to collect these stats when the lads play well.

Remember:
    1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
    2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
    3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

Name:  2017-05-27_10-19-43.png
Views: 480
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  2017-05-27_10-17-45.png
Views: 474
Size:  32.3 KB

1. Force had 63% Possession & 65% Territory. But in the 2nd half the lads totally dominated with 70% Possession & 75% Territory. The Reds appeared shell-shocked.
    2. Force had 23 Handling Errors (SR average 15) and 15 Missed Tackles (Tackling at only 85%). Both big improvements.
    3. Penalty Count: Force 6:11 Reds. Showed good discipline.
    4. Turn Overs Won: Force 1:2 Reds.
    5. Good consistency from Haylett Petty & Coleman on top of the list for Ruck Involvements.
    6. Hodgson and Meakes both made 20% of the limited number of Def Ruck Involvements.
    7. Excellent rucking effort by van Wyk.
    8. Force increased their work rate as the game went on. Always good to see. Big effort at the start of the 2nd half (Hodgson, van Wyk, Coleman & Ainsley).
    9. In contrast the Reds went missing at the Breakdown in the 2nd half. Smith had 19 Ruck Involvements by half time (13A/6D). He had only 6 (all DRIs) in the 2nd half.
    10. Energy sustained off the bench.
    11. Best Tacklers: Coleman 15; Hodgson 13; RH-P 11; Naisarani 9.
    12. Best Ruck Involvements by Backs: Meaks as above. Rona – 14T (13A1D); Brache – 12T (12A/0D); Newsome – 10T (9A/1D). Backs made only 22% of Total Rucks
    13. Kicks from Hand: Force 24:20 Reds. Enjoyed seeing the ball being retained and the building on phases.
    14. Run m: Force 382: 420 Reds. Force av 2.9m/carry –Red 4.4m/carry.
    15. Offloads: Force 4:7 Reds
    16. Clean Breaks: Force 7:14 Reds
    17. Def Beaten: Force 17:15 Reds
    18. Best Ball Carriers: Brache – 9 Carries for 51m; Ruru – 10/48; Verity-Am – 9/38; Naisarani – 13/35; Rona – 6/29; Newsome – 8/27; Hodgson – 8/27

Name:  2017-05-27_10-59-23.png
Views: 460
Size:  13.1 KB

Very similar profile to last week against the Highlanders.
    Excellent support play when the Reds tried to gain momentum.
    This week the timing of our support was excellent. Strong support of the ball carrier - not just in response to the opposition's pressure.
    Haven't seen Hodgo so well supported going into contact all year.

Name:  2017-05-27_10-59-53.png
Views: 468
Size:  12.0 KB

24 DRIs is the equal lowest level of involvement in 2017 (same as against the Highlanders).

Standing off 69% of Def Rucks represents the lowest level of D Ruck Involvement all year.
    But very similar (66%) to the tactic used against the Reds in Round 2.

Similar profiles as used against the Highlanders but this week part of a winning game plan!

Update of Ruck Involvements by OSF & Back Rowers after Round 14

Name:  2017-05-29_0-05-25.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  113.4 KB

Included McMahon as close to a full game against the Crusaders.
    Alcock actively avoided rucks against the Jaguares - 20T (19A/1D).
    Hodgo maintaining his average.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 29-05-17 at 00:03.

vCash
    Hodgo was slacking! 😉😉

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I'm wearing the biggest smile today!

My 6yo said this morning she likes it when the Force win.... Daddy is much happier. Damn straight I am!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Ruck Involvements – Reds v Force

Similar profiles as used against the Highlanders but this week part of a winning game plan!
    so we never changed our game plan at all? big difference in being beaten by 50 and winning by 40.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    so we never changed our game plan at all? big difference in being beaten by 50 and winning by 40.
    My conclusions are strongly influenced by these ruck stats which you can't get anywhere else.
    Freely admit that strategy on ruck involvements is only part of a winning game plan.
    My comments last week were that this ruck strategy was mis-applied against the Hurricanes (and when used against Kiwi teams in general).
    They have to feel the pressure and be disrupted at the breakdown as they'll always kill us in broken and open play.

In reality rucks are always a major part of the game: 264 tackles, 260 passes, 228 ball carries, 168 rucks, 44 kicks, 32 Missed Tackles, 26 Line Outs, 17 Penalties, 11 Scrums, 11 Off Loads, 9 Mauls etc etc.

I'd say that there was a very different game plan against the Reds which included empowering players such as Rona with the freedom to run the ball.

The weather and ground conditions in Brisbane certainly helped our result with fewer handling errors and missed tackles.

Marked difference in the speed of our support play all over the park and a lot less senseless kicking.
    The building of momentum due to ball retention and multi-phase play was a pleasure to watch.

For a change we turned possession and territory superiority into points.

The contra part of the game plan was not allowing the Reds to do any of the above.
    The quality of the Reds 1st try showed what they were capable of achieving.
    Much was made of the superior Reds Back line but the lads negated all of this fire power such that it went missing in the 2nd half.

Sustained pressure for 80 minutes was possible due to the strong Forward replacements off the bench.

I suggest that Hodgo's on-field leadership - as well as his efforts - and the quality of the opposition - help to explain the turn-around from last week.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 27-05-17 at 13:22.

Champion
    vCash
    The stats that changed were things like handling errors were down, missed tackles were down and gainline success improved. Attitude was better, effort was outstanding and we played the full 80 mins. Our backs weren't spectacular but they did the right things at the right times and benefitted from having a proper 10 out on the field.
    Other observations, i think Jermaine Ainsley is playing himself into the conversation for higher honours. A much more promising prospect than the Tongan Whore.
    Ross Haylett-Petty has been fantastic for us this year. No longer under the radar.
    Rona is starting to make linebreaks. Looks better every game.
    And Ruru was great last night. Hes had a long road to Super Rugby but is making every post a winner. Another gem from the WA Premier Grade system.

Its great for our guys like Hodgo and Pek that all their loyalty and hard work over the years is being rewarded with us having a very promising squad being fed by the Future Force and the local comp. Hopefully with a nice injection of funds from Own the Force and we have the potential to be the leading Australian franchise in 2 years.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The turnaround in attitude and confidence in just a few days is incredible, amazing what a bit of some normal rest can do as well. Am also very happy at the reduction in kicking away possession this week. Now they've gotta face another tough one with the Canes, but at least their spirits will be back up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Oh I reckon Moores had it coming for a looong, looong time now, a little bit of retribution was sweet for once. And they managed to keep the Hoff shut down, as hard as he was trying!
    That's a f**kin new one! Hanging shit on the (assistant) ref when we won!

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    every time the ref asked hof he went against the Force

vCash
    he has given 110% every time he has worn that shirt maybe slowing down but not slacking
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Hodgo was slacking! 😉😉

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Ruru was great last night. Hes had a long road to Super Rugby but is making every post a winner. Another gem from the WA Premier Grade system.
    Astoundingly, they are still talking that brumbies hack up as the next wallaby 9 though. We have 2 local boys better than that and not a peep.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Astoundingly, they are still talking that brumbies hack up as the next wallaby 9 though. We have 2 local boys better than that and not a peep.
    Who's "they"? The Fox mob were talking Louwrens up before the injury. Last night was their first real look at Ruru and I reckon Cheika would have been very impressed with that MoM performance. I reckon the Fox crew will jump on when he backs that performance up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Super Rugby: Gritty Force leave Queenslanders red-faced.
    - Wayne Smith, The Australian.

An inspired, well-coached Western Force side embarrassed a clueless Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium last night, scoring 40 points on the road for only the third time in their Super Rugby history.

How the Australian Rugby Union can cut this spirited, determined team from Perth remains a staggering mystery. They now have overtaken the Reds in the Australian conference and with three home matches still to come, who is to say they will not emerge as the one Australian team to play in the finals?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...344751455448b8

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That paragraph is the most accurate summery of the game I've read so far! Smith is playing an interesting game of his own this year. I wonder if it's more than just wanting to still be on a neutral/nice footing with the remaining team.

vCash
    You know the boys are making big strides when they make the Taipei Times.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/spor.../27/2003671378

Grant leads troubled Force to 40-26 victory over Reds - TAIPEI TIMES.

South African playmaker Peter Grant yesterday kicked and guided Western Force to a morale-boosting 40-26 win over the Queensland Reds in Super Rugby in Brisbane.
    Grant, the former Springbok and Western Stormers flyhalf, kicked seven of seven with three conversions and four penalty goals as the Force put behind them damaging uncertainty over their future to all but end the Reds’ remote finals hopes.
    Both sides scored four tries each, but it was 32-year-old Grant’s steady goal-kicking that proved the difference, as the Force won for the third straight time against the disappointing Reds.
    The Force still do not know if they will be playing in next year’s competition given the continuing uncertainty, with the Australian Rugby Union still to decide on which of its five teams to cull.
    Queensland looked set to go on to victory after Wallaby skipper and hooker Stephen Moore scored his second try for the Reds to lead 26-21 with 20 minutes left.
    However, the Force refused to give in and rattled off 19 unanswered points to win comfortably, with Wallaby lock Adam Coleman outstanding at the set-piece and making 14 tackles.
    Once again the Reds were their own worst enemy with two yellow cards in the second half: to scrumhalf Nick Frisby and winger Eto Nabuli.
    The Reds indiscipline has cost them 12 yellow cards this season, more than any other team in Super Rugby.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast