Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: World Club 10's Mauritius 2017

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

World Club 10's Mauritius 2017

#WorldClub10s: Bulls, Cheetahs and Brumbies avoid Western Force

Cup Competitions | 19 May 2017, 1:15pm

Defending Beachcomber World Club 10s champions the Western Force avoided Super Rugby rivals the Vodacom Bulls, Toyota Cheetahs and the Brumbies when the draw was made for the tournament on Wednesday evening.
    The Force are grouped in Pool A alongside England’s Harlequins, Japan’s Kubota Spears and a combined Africa Pacific Dragons.

Share this story

Isireli Naisarani of Western Force. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix

Pool B sees the two South African heavyweights – the Bulls and the Cheetahs – up against current Australian Conference Super Rugby leaders the Brumbies and the combined Tsunami Pyrenees.
    The tournament takes place at Mauritius’ Anjalay Stadium on June 17 and 18. The structure means that all elite eight teams advance to day two’s knockout phase after playing three pool matches.

It’s unique in that a team could lose three matches on day one but still go on to win the tournament if they find form on day two. So there is always something to play for even if a team suffers a few pool losses.
    “All eight teams are capable of winning the tournament,” says Carinat Sports Marketing managing director Heyneke Meyer.
    “Because all teams go through to the knockout phase, there is a chance for surprises because some teams take a few matches to get into their stride.
    “Last year when I coached the Africa Pacific Dragons, we struggled on day one because we hadn’t had much time together. But by day two we were playing more cohesive rugby and were unlucky not to win.
    “Both pools are very powerful this year and it will make for superb viewing. The structure is good too because while day one determines positions in the Pool, day two is straight knockout and that brings its own pressures.
    “Finishing high in the Pool is important for a good ranking in the knockout phase, but it’s happened in the past that teams losing on day one, bounced back to win knockout matches on day two.
    “It’s a round robin and a knockout in one. Everybody starts at zero on day two and then the real competition starts.
    “Obviously you want to be higher in your Pool to increase chances in the knockout phase, but there are no guarantees.
    “I’ve seen that teams get momentum on day two, just like the Western Force last year. They bounced back from losing to the Brumbies in Pool play and beat them in the final. It’s a great format.”
    The opening match of the third staging of the tournament sees the defending champions take on the Africa Pacific Dragons, which will hopefully set the tone for a wonderful weekend of rugby.
    Pool A: Western Force, Harlequins, Africa Pacific Dragons, Kubota Spears
    Pool B: Brumbies, Toyota Cheetahs, Vodacom Bulls, Tsunami Pyrenees.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Africa Pacific Dragons? What the hell?

If this is the Asia Pacific Dragons with some African players in, why not find another name (eg, like Tsunami Pyrenees)? Why torture geography with the name "Africa Pacific"?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I hear that RugbyWA has emailed the Metro clubs asking for nominations by them from among their players to take part in this year's 10's Tournament.

From what I saw of the depth in West's first and reserve grade they are likely to supply at least 3 or 4 players on their own.

Brad Lacey fits the bill with his skills, aggression and super rugby experience, and young McLennan is every bit the player his father was when he played for Otago. His bulk and drive will be sorely needed. Add to that the speed and side stepping ability of Albert Nikoro, not to mention his kicking, especially in the wet conditions in Mauritius, and you have three perfect candidates.

I hope the West hierarchy advance the interests of these players by putting them forward and making the Force proud.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I hear that RugbyWA has emailed the Metro clubs asking for nominations by them from among their players to take part in this year's 10's Tournament.

From what I saw of the depth in West's first and reserve grade they are likely to supply at least 3 or 4 players on their own.

Brad Lacey fits the bill with his skills, aggression and super rugby experience, and young McLennan is every bit the player his father was when he played for Otago. His bulk and drive will be sorely needed. Add to that the speed and side stepping ability of Albert Nikoro, not to mention his kicking, especially in the wet conditions in Mauritius, and you have three perfect candidates.

I hope the West hierarchy advance the interests of these players by putting them forward and making the Force proud.
    This post has made me very suspicious, very very suspicious

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Pierre was very much in love with his beautiful young wife, but little things made him concerned that she was being unfaithful to him.

He was about to depart on an overnight business trip from Paris to Montpellier, and was beside himself as to what could be going on while he was away.

One evening, at a bar, he confided his concerns to his best and oldest friend Jean-Claude.

"Ah" says Jean-Claude "It is so sad to see you like zis. I will tell you what I will do for you, mon cher ami. While you are away I shall mount a vigile outside your 'ouse. Day and night I shall record who goes in and out. And I shall report it all to you when you return."

So Pierre, much relieved, goes on his business trip.

On his return he catches up with Jean-Claude at the bar. Sombrely, Jean-Claude tells him what he observed. "On the night you left a sports car pulled into your drive. an 'andsome young man gets out and knocks on your door. Your wife answers the door in her negligee.They embrace and go inside. Through the parlour window I see them drink champagne. Then they engage in a passionate kiss. Hand in hand they go upstairs into your bedroom. Through the window I see your wife remove her negligee. Naked, she removes the man's clothing. Together they get into the bed."

"And then what 'appened?" cried Pierre, almost in tears.

"Sadly, I saw no more " said Jean-Claude. "The light she was turned off."

'Ah you see my friend " said Pierre sorrowfully. " Toujour la doute. Always the suspicion. Always the doubt."

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    taking the piss out of the French,Fulvio-and you call ME Racist!

vCash
    No, I was taking the piss out of the human condition.

vCash
    The French are human?

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Watch all the action LIVE on beIn Sports 3!
    Game 1 vs Africa Pacific Dragons at 1:36PM AWST
    Game 2 vs Kubota Spears at 5:36PM AWST
    Game 3 vs Harlequins at 8:48PM AWST

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    God dammit, I don't give a shit about Locamotiv Moscow Bein Sports! Play the rugby!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Anyone have a link for an online stream?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    God dammit, I don't give a shit about Locamotiv Moscow Bein Sports! Play the rugby!
    Just fast forward to find SFA! Just hope the next lots on this arvo.

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, isn't beIN a sack of the proverbial then! The Channel 7 of Foxtel...

vCash
    Harlequins & AP dragons just starting. Force up next

vCash
    Force just coming on.
    We won first game against AP dragons

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast