Thread: South Africans’ potential lifeline a kick in the guts for Rebels, Force

vCash

South Africans’ potential lifeline a kick in the guts for Rebels, Force

THE brutal truth emerging is that the Aussie side chopped from Super Rugby will be the only club to be dissolved because South African bosses are searching for a European lifeline.

Another day has ticked over with the endangered Melbourne Rebels and Western Force still no closer to learning of their fate for 2018 and beyond.

A special general meeting of the Australian Rugby Union will fill in some of the blanks because the push is on to disclose details of the strategic markers for the two clubs and the review process.

The agitation of the Rugby Union Players Association, which includes Wallabies skipper Stephen Moore as a board member, has pushed for the overdue outline of details.

SA Rugby president Mark Alexander is insistent that the two clubs facing the axe in South Africa will still have a competition to play in.

Alexander said SA Rugby was in “advanced talks” with competitions in two different regions.

If the Bloemfontein-based Cheetahs and the Southern Kings, from South Africa’s eastern cape, are the imperilled clubs, they may, at least, still get top rugby to nourish them.

‘The whole plan is to ensure that the two teams (axed from Super Rugby) will take part in other competitions from 2018,” Alexander told South Africa’s Netwerk24.

“We do not want to condemn them to the wilderness. So if all goes well, all (six South African) teams will participate in an international tournament.”

European competitions may be cool on the idea of welcoming a South African side and the massive additional travel component.

The extra broadcast money that a Cheetahs side might leverage is a plus and PRO12, with teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy may be looking to spice up their format.

Full article: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/s...4bfcde70f6d6fc

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How interesting that SA Rugby's President "does not want to condemn [the Kings and Cheetahs] to the wilderness" whereas our national union here cannot wait to condemn one of ours to exactly that.

Another reason for the entire ARU to be sacked without pay!!

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    South Africa are in a geographical location that a European competition may think about admitting them apart from the fact it's a 8-10 hour flight, possibly off set by increased TV revenue South afirca may bring the table.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

Anyone want to take a bet that the ARU board - if voted out/asked to resign does receive a payout.

Also I bet that Puller/Cline's next jobs are with SANZAAR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
    South Africa are in a geographical location that a European competition may think about admitting them apart from the fact it's a 8-10 hour flight, possibly off set by increased TV revenue South afirca may bring the table.
    Might also depend on the talked about Atlantic expansion that the Pro 12 was looking at. Can't see a US or Canadian based side being very willing to travel that far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Anyone want to take a bet that the ARU board - if voted out/asked to resign does receive a payout.

That would be a bold move by SANZAaR, since their replacements (assuming that happened this meeting) would be inclined to veto anything that stinks of Puller and Clone.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    How interesting that SA Rugby's President "does not want to condemn [the Kings and Cheetahs] to the wilderness" whereas our national union here cannot wait to condemn one of ours to exactly that.

spot on Alison, hope Wayne Smith et al proclaim this to the heavens....after all its the game played in heaven

ps another euphamism...condemn...to go along with cut cull axe chop etc

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Secondary thought on this is that unless a European competition is happy to accept the South African sides into the competition than they will be condemned to the wilderness regardless of what the SARU President says.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Might also depend on the talked about Atlantic expansion that the Pro 12 was looking at. Can't see a US or Canadian based side being very willing to travel that far.
    Or Georgian if reports are to be believed. They could implement a conference system - that always goes well.

vCash
    The expansion to Argentina and Japan happened due to a thought bubble like these ones. And didn't that go swimmingly. As Mr Marks says - high time for the game to be put back into the hands of custodians dedicated to The Game in preference to The Product (jeez I hate that expression)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The Product (jeez I hate that expression)
    Spot on Shasta. And don't forget.... "my brand" the narcissists favorite!

Makes me bloody nauseous

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

JON walked out the door with about $2million in salary and incentive payments in his final year I think, so the precedent is there! That said, Puller and the Board have all been much less profligate with the salary/fees budget since Puller took over in 2013. Although Puller did take an incentive bonus of $230K in 2015 which I assume was because of the 'most excellent' TV deal he managed to snaffle!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby