Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: VRU, RUPA vote for ARU EGM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Iain Payten‏ @iainpayten · 40s41 seconds ago
    Correction to last tweet: ARU have responded to RUPA/VRU request by inviting voting members to meet in 7 days. An EGM would require 21 days.
    Stalling tactic by the ARU (in a roundabout way). Reading this morning that if there is a meeting in 7 days it won't be an EGM. So there won't be the opportunity to raise a no confidence motion or a spill.

But that might even backfire as well because the stakeholders can take this meeting & if they don't like what they hear. They're in a position to let select people know they either have 21 days to resign or will be rolled @ an EGM that they are still going to hold.

To be a fly on the wall in this meeting!!! ARU really have to lay all their cards on the table, but stakeholders don't have to play the hand that's dealt (yeah, I know, sorry - had to run that metaphor full circle)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Dick Marks: Rugby failed to care for its precious garden

To those who know my impression of former Australian Rugby Union boss John O’Neill and his policies, it will seem strange that I write to publicly confirm the accuracy of a couple of things he has said that people might doubt and to give some free publicity to his book It’s Only A Game.

I could easily fill the same space he was given on these pages on May 13 with what he should have and should not have done during his two tenures as ARU chief executive. These would be decisions and actions of his that might have avoided the distressing legacy left under his watch — or maybe two deficits of close to a total of $19 million ($18,857,000 according to 2012 annual report) in his final two years.

I’ll save my enunciation of past mistakes and lost opportunities for the forthcoming summit on Australian rugby, but, to be fair to O’Neill, I must corroborate one statement from his article.

O’Neill did in fact “sack” me on the recommendation of a board member — but why does he pass the buck? He knows better than anyone that board members don’t hire and fire — that is the prerogative of the CEO, so he did not have to do as advised.

The fact is, it suited him. What he failed to do was to establish the motivation for the advice he received, which in truth had absolutely nothing to do with the job I was doing or even less to do with me. It was everything to do with the vacancy created.

If I was doing such a bad job, I should hand back the prestigious Joe French trophy I was awarded for outstanding service a year after O’Neill decided to get out of rugby.

I had objected to being ordered to write a new coaching manual for the ARU on the basis that I had to personally pay for the necessary research as well as conduct it in my own time. Was that really a “sackable” offence? Well it was good enough for those who did the deed.

Like lion tamers, there aren’t too many jobs around for national coaching directors and when you’re portrayed as a recalcitrant, defiant employee the word gets around with cruel effect.

Whatever are the failed actions for which I have criticised O’Neill, one deed stands above all — while in the position of CEO of the ARU he released a book in which he “rubbished” numerous rugby people who had served the game, and they included ex-presidents, chairmen and board members of major unions and, indeed, the ARU itself.

I applaud the current ARU for encouraging outside input and being prepared to listen. As previously indicated, I shall keep my detailed opinions to myself until I get to the proposed rugby summit, but I will say one broad thing *publicly.

The worst mistake O’Neill made was to shut off outside involvement in his administration by disbanding all the advisory committees, including the National Coaching Committee. He believed the only expertise he needed was all in-house. The reality was that just about all of the rugby brains were to be found in lucrative outside professions, careers and businesses.

What Russ Tulloch neglected to mention in his recent article in The Australian was that the one person who did guide the CEO was a highly paid consultant who, when pressed, had to admit that even when in the middle of his initial rugby review, he had never been to as much as a Sydney club game.

I shall give credit to O’Neill for his marketing of the best group of players this country ever had but he should remember that the likes of Eales, Horan, Little, Gregan, Roff, Wilson and most of them were in a crop that came out of a wonderfully tended garden.

When these blooms withered with age, the subsequent crops lacked the same quality because of one simple thing. The garden in which they grew had been neg*lected and certain vital elements in the soil had been removed. The *in-house people in charge just didn’t know enough about “rugby *horticulture”.

Getting Australian rugby out of its malaise requires a lot of smart thinking and co-operation among the stakeholders that has never existed under previous regimes who could easily be accused of using the “divide and conquer” strategy of centralists.

My comments at the proposed summit will be pretty much confined to the technical side, but if the subject of centralism is raised I’ll simply say: we tried it and it was a costly experiment that didn’t work with nearly every major union going broke under it.

Rugby was conned when it was told to hand over all the property and control to the peak body where it contended to increase the revenue and hand back much bigger dividends to the shareholders. The elite players and peak body administrators lived like kings, but the clubs will tell you the money just didn’t trickle down as promised.

I haven’t seen an agenda for the forthcoming summit, but I hope it goes beyond coaching. In any case, I’ll be suggesting that the following items be added: external expertise, foreign coaches, competitions, player recruiting and retention, law changes, collective bargaining agreement, skill development centre, academies and the under-20s.

There is so much to be achieved by getting all these elements working in the well-oiled machine we had working when the “amateurs” handed it over.

It was just so condescending when they were told that the introduction of money relegated them to dinosaur status.

Dick Marks is a former national coaching director at the ARU."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    It's time for Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver to go

Paul CULLY - Sydney Morning Herald

"That Bill Pulver remains as chief executive of the Australian Rugby Union suggests that he has lost sight of whether the job is a right or a privilege.

It is more than two months since Pulver attended a Sanzaar meeting in London to decide Australia's fate in Super Rugby and here we are today, not only none the wiser but angrier, more confused, or perhaps just more apathetic.

In South Africa, emotions are also running high as they ponder cutting two teams from Super Rugby, but the order they have brought to their process makes the ARU look like it is fumbling in the dark at 3am after a lunch that began with good intentions at 1pm.

Indeed, if the South Africans do manage to place the two teams cut from Super Rugby into European competition, it would be an act of administrative genius (although somewhat worrying for Super Rugby's longer-term future).

Yet in Australia the players have clearly had enough. There are obvious pressures on them in terms of livelihood but there are also unseen ones.

Players at certain clubs don't want to be seen as the first to jump ship, particularly if they are key men at the franchises. One Wallaby will likely head overseas and then promptly return closer to his roots to avoid that stigma – all of it the ARU's doing.

And this is written from a viewpoint that is broadly unsympathetic to Australian players' wishes and supportive of the ARU decision to cut a team.

Four teams is the right model for the times. Clever, engaged and insightful people disagree with this and I hear their arguments. But Australia merits a fifth team in a southern hemisphere rugby competition far less than Fiji or Samoa deserves just one.

Having four provincial high performance teams does not undersell Australia's current status. Ireland, the most recent conquerors of New Zealand, seem to get by with the same number and rugby is the third-choice sport for many athletes on the island (perhaps their centralised model explains their success, more of which at another time).

So it is not the decision itself that is now the issue, it is the terrible way it has been handled and the doubts about whether it can even be implemented. Those are the charges the ARU and Pulver must answer.

It's arguable which charge is worse: the handling of the axing or the inability to deliver on it (though they might be one and the same thing).

But the more conversations I have the more I lean towards the former. There are a great many people in Australian rugby willing to work in tumultuous times and make compromises for the greater good, but the number of people who are tolerant of incompetency and lack of clarity are far fewer.

Hence, the rage. If you get the sense that is has been building, then you are correct. It is the not knowing that causes the angst. Tom English, the Rebels centre/wing who is this season worthy of a Wallabies squad spot, might not regard himself as a spokesman, but his remarks of two weeks ago hit the spot. He urged the ARU to "rip the Band-Aid off".

The ARU might counter that a resolution would have been found by now had the Force and Rebels not pushed back so hard against them – but did they not expect a drowning man to kick?

It all brings us back to Pulver. The job has never seemed like an easy fit. There were too many silly statements that were divorced from reality and an inability to attach Australia to rugby's rise globally.

It is true the ARU also faces headwinds but if accountability is still relevant then the outcome is clear. Australian rugby is floundering. It is time for Pulver to go, and go soon."

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 19-05-17 at 12:37.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    It's time for Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver to go

"That Bill Pulver remains as chief executive of the Australian Rugby Union suggests that he has lost sight of whether the job is a right or a privilege.

It is more than two months since Pulver attended a Sanzaar meeting in London to decide Australia's fate in Super Rugby and here we are today, not only none the wiser but angrier, more confused, or perhaps just more apathetic.

In South Africa, emotions are also running high as they ponder cutting two teams from Super Rugby, but the order they have brought to their process makes the ARU look like it is fumbling in the dark at 3am after a lunch that began with good intentions at 1pm.

Indeed, if the South Africans do manage to place the two teams cut from Super Rugby into European competition, it would be an act of administrative genius (although somewhat worrying for Super Rugby's longer-term future).

Yet in Australia the players have clearly had enough. There are obvious pressures on them in terms of livelihood but there are also unseen ones.

Players at certain clubs don't want to be seen as the first to jump ship, particularly if they are key men at the franchises. One Wallaby will likely head overseas and then promptly return closer to his roots to avoid that stigma – all of it the ARU's doing.

And this is written from a viewpoint that is broadly unsympathetic to Australian players' wishes and supportive of the ARU decision to cut a team.

Four teams is the right model for the times. Clever, engaged and insightful people disagree with this and I hear their arguments. But Australia merits a fifth team in a southern hemisphere rugby competition far less than Fiji or Samoa deserves just one.

Having four provincial high performance teams does not undersell Australia's current status. Ireland, the most recent conquerors of New Zealand, seem to get by with the same number and rugby is the third-choice sport for many athletes on the island (perhaps their centralised model explains their success, more of which at another time).

So it is not the decision itself that is now the issue, it is the terrible way it has been handled and the doubts about whether it can even be implemented. Those are the charges the ARU and Pulver must answer.

It's arguable which charge is worse: the handling of the axing or the inability to deliver on it (though they might be one and the same thing).

But the more conversations I have the more I lean towards the former. There are a great many people in Australian rugby willing to work in tumultuous times and make compromises for the greater good, but the number of people who are tolerant of incompetency and lack of clarity are far fewer.

Hence, the rage. If you get the sense that is has been building, then you are correct. It is the not knowing that causes the angst. Tom English, the Rebels centre/wing who is this season worthy of a Wallabies squad spot, might not regard himself as a spokesman, but his remarks of two weeks ago hit the spot. He urged the ARU to "rip the Band-Aid off".

The ARU might counter that a resolution would have been found by now had the Force and Rebels not pushed back so hard against them – but did they not expect a drowning man to kick?

It all brings us back to Pulver. The job has never seemed like an easy fit. There were too many silly statements that were divorced from reality and an inability to attach Australia to rugby's rise globally.

It is true the ARU also faces headwinds but if accountability is still relevant then the outcome is clear. Australian rugby is floundering. It is time for Pulver to go, and go soon."
    someone finally in the media expressly states it.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Champion
    vCash
    Paul Cully can go eat a dick. Only a month ago he was publishing articles on how much better off the Tahs will be with Force or Rebels players in their team aswell as all the other crap he has published on the Super Rugby cull. Pandaram and Cully are pieces of shit.

#strongeras5 #strongerwithoutCully #westisbest #eastisdeceased

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Paul Cully can go eat a dick. Only a month ago he was publishing articles on how much better off the Tahs will be with Force or Rebels players in their team aswell as all the other crap he has published on the Super Rugby cull. Pandaram and Cully are pieces of shit.

#strongeras5 #strongerwithoutCully #westisbest #eastisdeceased
    Cully is a bluffer. Doesn't know shit from shinola.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    someone finally in the media expressly states it.
    Calling for Pulver's resignation? Don't think this is the first by a long shot.

The place needs a full cleanout.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Paul Cully can go eat a dick, this article isn't anything about the decision to kill a franchise is freaking stupid it's all a big whinge about how long it has been for the ARU to put the knife to a team so he can see Dane Haylett-Petty or Recce Hodge in the Tahs back line.

Pulver needs to get the sack for sure, but not for that reason!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Paul Cully can go eat a dick, this article isn't anything about the decision to kill a franchise is freaking stupid it's all a big whinge about how long it has been for the ARU to put the knife to a team so he can see Dane Haylett-Petty or Recce Hodge in the Tahs back line.

Pulver needs to get the sack for sure, but not for that reason!
    Cully doesn't even live in Sydney.

He phones his shit in from the 'tron in Waikato.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Simplistic to think axing CEO Bill Pulver would will fix Australian rugby’s woes: Cameron Clyne

Iain Payten, The Daily Telegraph
    June 16, 2017 7:00pm

SACKING ARU rugby boss Bill Pulver would not magically fix Australian rugby’s problems, according to chairman Cameron Clyne.

Pulver’s future at the helm of Australian rugby was back under the spotlight yesterday with speculation the CEO could step down before Monday’s emergency general meeting despite having eight months left on his contract.

In the wake of ongoing criticism for Pulver’s role in the ARU’s Super Rugby downsizing mess, outgoing Canterbury Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle has emerged as a potential replacement.

Pressure is also mounting on Pulver after The Daily Telegraph revealed sponsor Buildcorp had pulled support for the National Rugby Championship because of the failure to introduce a women’s competition. The ARU has also lost sponsors BMW and Lion Nathan.

Clyne said he’d had no contact with Castle and the board had not withdrawn its support for Pulver.

“It is obviously challenging times but that’s not the view of the board at all,” Clyne said.

“He has certainly not said that (he will step down) and the board has no intention of asking him to go.”

At the behest of the Victorian Rugby Union and Rugby Union Players Association, the ARU will hold a meeting next week to discuss the contentious and messy process of removing one of Australia’s five Super Rugby teams.

After the ARU announced in April a time frame of “48-72 hours” to close down the Force or Rebels, legal threats from Rugby WA and Melbourne Rebels dragged the process to a highly damaging halt.

Pulver, who said in April he would step down “in a heartbeat” if it was advantageous to Australian rugby, has worn persistent criticism for keeping a low profile.

Figures such as Bob Dwyer and Brendan Cannon have called on the CEO to quit to allow the game to move forward. But Clyne said it was too “simplistic” to think changing CEOs would solve all the problems of Australian rugby.

“There’s actually a broader issue. This sport has a history of turning on itself quite a lot. This is just the latest (example) … you have to look at this in a historical context of the last 15 years of Australian rugby,” Clyne said.

“There is a vocal group of people driving a hard campaign but I think it’s a bit simplistic to say everything will be fine if we just change the CEO.”

Castle, a former New Zealand Netball boss, would be a good candidate to be the ARU’s first female boss given her extensive sports administration experience and — critically — she has no baggage in Australian rugby.

Clyne said while ARU leadership for next year had been considered, it was not a current priority.

“We are always thinking about options but at this stage we are not thinking about that (the next ARU CEO) as an issue because we are focused on the challenges we have got,” Clyne said.

“With Bill we have a conversation closer to that time (February) but there is no movement at this point. Any new CEO you would want to be set up for success and I am not sure the governance structure at the moment is there for that.”

Clyne — like many in Australian rugby — believes a more centralised governance model is required for the game to revive its fortunes.

“It is really just getting greater collaboration,” he said. “We just don’t quite have the degree of co-ordination we could have. We will keep pushing away ... people can see the merit in that.”

Clyne doesn’t expect the EGM to result in stakeholders pushing for leadership changes.

Three resolutions are up for debate: the first two are based around whether it is in Australia’s best interests to keep five teams, and the third about the formation of a Super Rugby commission, which would act as an advisory body to the ARU.

Clyne said “all five teams support going to four teams” and though open to a Super Rugby commission, the chairman questioned another level of governance being added.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...11226068befd06

vCash
    Clyne and the rest of the board are the ones who should be worried the bloke isn't fit to run my piggy bank let alone the ARU

And of course the 5 teams are all in favour because they think they will get a bigger Alice of the pie... Which they won't because if the inept management running the joint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Clyne and the rest of the board are the ones who should be worried the bloke isn't fit to run my piggy bank let alone the ARU

And of course the 5 teams are all in favour because they think they will get a bigger Alice of the pie... Which they won't because if the inept management running the joint.
    By that you mean the Rebels black hole right?

vCash
    All 5 teams have voted that 1 team will have to go and that is the warratahs .. Ha Ha if all 5 teams are on the same page why are 2 teams fighting to stay.. 1 teams should go and its the ARU board.. Clyne should be looking for another job along with a few of the board and some of the managers in the ARU.. I vote Matt Hodgson for ARU CEO .. A players and fans man

vCash
    “It is really just getting greater collaboration,” he said.
    That should read "it's all about the east coast RU."

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Clyne defending Pulver-that's rich! And what the hell do these guys care anyway, they just walk away under a cloud with the paper bag of cash under the arm and step straight into their next little number already lined up for them. Parasites & scabs & I'm sick of the lot of them & the damage they leave in their wake. Bring back the guillotine!

vCash
    Snob, collaboration means everybody do what I say.

C'mon the

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast