Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you calling unsustainable Mr Clyne?

vCash
    Is the 10 May SANZAR meeting going ahead and if so where is it? Nothing from the ARU for ages and finally some activity, hopefully not in our direction - albeit, all just rumours.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Is the 10 May SANZAR meeting going ahead and if so where is it? Nothing from the ARU for ages and finally some activity, hopefully not in our direction - albeit, all just rumours.
    From the Australian tonight:

Chief executive Bill Pulver has left for the World Cup draw in Kyoto tomorrow, followed by the SANZAAR meeting in Tokyo on Friday.

At that meeting, Australia will be expected to give details of how it is progressing in shedding one team, especially since the South Africans are expected to follow suit in culling two teams to reduce the competition from 18 teams to 15 next season.

Until the possibility of the Rebels being for sale became even a remote option, the ARU would have had nothing useful to report to SANZAAR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Eastlian
    ...the FUARU would have had nothing useful to report to SANZAAR
    Sooooo....All Quiet On The Western Front....Nothing to see here, move along....I zee nothing, hear nothing etc

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    A couple of thoughts for the piece:

Early in the piece you mention the Force receiving $4.8m in unexpected money, but Table 1 only shows $3.7m. If the $4.8m figure comes from Clyne and is incorrect, you could point this out. I haven't been able to identify where the additional $1.1m comes from. The accounts just talk about $4.8m being the "net expenditure" under the alliance agreement. I imagine it's the salary costs minus some revenue in the form of sponsorship or corporate hospitality or something.

Can you break-out the 'Grants' number into 'Grants' and 'Unexpected expenditure' in Table 1? The Rebels' costs are $20m, plus the $13m unexpected expenditure, whereas the Force's costs have the unexpected expenditure included in the grant money. It might make the argument easier to follow if the unexpected expenditure is quoted separately. Will do - good point

Are the 'Team' costs in Table 1 the Wallaby top-up costs? I don't know what they mean by 'team costs' as it's not defined anywhere. I wondered if it could be the Super Rugby travel & accommodation costs?The Wallaby costs are elsewhere, and could be the direct Wallaby costs (travel, coaching, accommodation, training, etc), but Wallaby top-up costs would be included in SR team grants.

The unexpected expenditure for the Rebels and Force ($13m + $3.7m) is only $16.7m, 60% of Clyne's $28m. Any idea where the rest of that money is hidden? No idea at all. I couldn't identify any other expenditure directly related to Super Rugby but I guess it could be the costs the ARU incurred when they had control of the Rebels between 2013 and 2015, plus the additional $1.1m they say they incurred in relation to the Force in 2016. Dunno.

For instance, do we know if the Reds loans were repaid or just written off? * It was not written off. The accounts state that it was repaid in full in FYE 2012

At one point you mention $91m for operating Super Rugby for the last three years, but Table 1 suggests this is $99m ($28m + $29m + $42m). The $28m, $29m + $42m in Table 1 includes the team costs whereas the $91m doesn't

-----------------------
    ETA:
    * Some of Clyne's missing $11.3m in unexpected expenditure might be the $2.6m extra funding to Cox & the Rebels. It certainly should do!
    Have answered as best I can above in bold or italics.

Last edited by Alison; 09-05-17 at 07:49.
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Another thought on the 2016 Force Grant numbers. The Grant numbers for the Reds, Waratahs & Brumbies increase from 2016 from 2015 by nearly $2m per team, but the Force's Grant goes up by $3.4m, including the sale of the IP & licence.

Are we sure the Unexpected Expenditure is $3.7m? If so, the Force's normal Grant money, which for 2014 & 2015 was running similar to the Reds, Tahs & Brumbies, was for 2016 only $3.66m ($2m less than the Reds, Tahs & Brumbies).

Conversely, if the Unexpected Expenditure was $4.8m, the grant was therefore only $2.56m, $3m less than the Reds, Tahs & Brumbies.

Actually, I've found a figure of $4.8m, in Note 26 on Table 4, which says the ARU employees renumeration increase in 2016 includes $4,787,000 paid to the Western Force staff and players. This is hardly an unexpected cost, but is it double-counted? What does the Grant money in Table 1 cover if not staff and players?
    Don't think there has been any double counting. They have included the salary and super costs for the WF staff and players with the remuneration figures for the ARU's other employees. (Who, by the way, earn A LOT!!)

I think the grant is a very separate amount. As we have discussed above, it's not possible to work out what else besides the $3.7m is included in the $4.8m figure. But the fact they describe it as "NET expenditure" suggests it's all the costs (including the salaries etc) minus some revenue that must have gone across as part of the alliance agreement too. They have separated out the auditors' fee for the Force side of things too so that could have been included in the $4.8m too. Who knows!

vCash
    Great work Ali, phew...
    what a mess Mr Hart
    Seeing as they have so many bankers (replace b with w) on board, it looks like they are purposely not transparent with reporting.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just giving this a bump, in case any Eastern States journo's have been looking for it

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    I've been watching for this to be posted on the Roar and GAGR.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And a shout out to Peter Playford and Cam Shepherd who host a good podcast most weeks who talked about trying to see an ARU annual report.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/s...-rugby-podcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    I've been watching for this to be posted on the Roar and GAGR.
    So sorry Kala but I just haven't had the time this past week to summarise it down enough to post on either of those sites. There are a couple of print journos who are interested in doing something with the info though so fingers crossed that comes off.

If anyone else wants to have a go at trimming down my thesis, just PM me an email address and I'll send you the Word docs that contain it all. Otherwise I'll try and find some time this week to do it. The feedback I've had suggests it's definitely worth publishing something!

Player
    vCash
    Alison do you think you will prepare your extensive work on Australian Super Rugby teams finances as an article for The Roar and GAGR?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Alison do you think you will prepare your extensive work on Australian Super Rugby teams finances as an article for The Roar and GAGR?
    Do you think anyone outside WA will care? I was going to spend some time summarising it down to around 900 words to post on both sites but I really don't know if there's any point anymore. Everyone on the east coast I've mentioned the huge sums to so far just shrugs their shoulders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Do you think anyone outside WA will care? I was going to spend some time summarising it down to around 900 words to post on both sites but I really don't know if there's any point anymore. Everyone on the east coast I've mentioned the huge sums to so far just shrugs their shoulders.
    I know for sure they would like to see it over at GNGR the resentment for the ARU is extremely high even among those in NSW and QLD who believe the ARU are destroying the game in Australia. Maybe shoot Rugby Reg a line on Twitter I'm sure he will help or point you in the right direction if you want to publish it in an article.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by GAFFA; 12-06-17 at 19:20.

vCash
    Remember the EGM is next week, do if you are going to publish better to do it this week so there's time for questions to be asked by the rugby community at EGM

Player
    vCash
    Alison happy to assist you if you want.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast