Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sad news in the West Australian.

vCash

Sad news in the West Australian.

Whilst Rugby is the game that is played in heaven, it is so terribly sad to see that this young bloke will be playing it there far before his time.

I have only watched part of the interview - I lost my younger brother to suicide many many years ago and the pain is still raw. I am sure that Perth-Bayswater have done all they can to help his team mates deal with this sad event.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa-day/j...-ng-b88461117z

Jimi McDowell was only 13 when he died. His parents say we must talk about suicide
    In a quiet suburb, in a regular Perth home, a Morley family is dealing with an unthinkable tragedy.
    Debra Brumby and Jason McDowell are mourning the loss of their son Jimi McDowell, who took his own life just two weeks before his 14th birthday at a park just a few hundred metres from his home.
    His life support was switched off two days later.

“I don’t know. We’ll never know,” Jimi’s distraught mother Debra told Seven News.
    “He wasn’t a recluse, he didn’t hide in his room, there was no signs,” Jimi’s father Jason said.
    “He had lots of friends, he got out and did stuff, he was active. It was a jolt out of the blue.”

Jimi’s parents are campaigning for change, they want suicide spoken about in schools to prevent more tragedies.
    “Something’s got to change, something’s got to happen. Why can’t we talk about it, why is it taboo?” Jason said.
    “Get it out there. People have got to know.”
    If you or someone you know needs help, call Lifeline is on 13 11 14 or the Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.
    In an emergency, always dial 000.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewM; 30-04-17 at 21:50.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    My condolences to Jimi's parents and family, and to the Perth-Bayswater Rugby community.

I don't know what else to say.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Desperately sad :-(( Can't imagine what his family must be going through right now.

So sorry to hear that it's brought back very sad memories for you too Andrew.

Life is precious indeed.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    My condolences to Jimmi's family. That's just damn heartbreaking. People hug the ones you love while you've got the chance. Hope his mates and the club are getting the help they need.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Having dealt with depression for nearly a decade. I have some knowledge of the dark places your own mind can take you.

This is a tragedy. I hope that the McDowell family, the Perth Bayswater family get all the assistance that they need.

If anyone ever needs some one talk too, I stay up late and happy to have a conversation with anyone. All you gotta do is ask me.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    My Boy is the Same age and played for Baysies so quite possibly played with him for a time

I will be running in the HBF run for a reason in a few weeks to raise money for Teen Suicide Awareness
    please feel free to support us with a small monetary donation

https://hbfrun2017.everydayhero.com/au/andrea-1

Jacob was my Sons best friends older brother that sadly took his own life in December (he was 15). It has devastated my Boy not to mention his Family, School and Soccer community and other friends. We hope that the money raise can help raise awareness and raise the profile of Teen Suicide, taking it away from the terrible stigma that is attached to Suicide in general. Just one life saved will make it a success!

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Gee that's some heavy gear. Condolences to the young lads family, they'd be going through hell at the moment.

vCash
    I'm on board with Jimmy's dad. Why is suicide such a taboo subject?
    Pretty much every other social evil is best dealt with in an open forum. Partner bashing, addiction, racism etc.. Pretty much every one benefits from open discussion.
    Some time ago I spoke to a railway man who told me about how many people in Perth throw them selves under trains. Events that are basically not reported. That sounds like a problem. Or is it just that the powers that be think it's too hard or not worth dealing with?

..and yeah, what everyone above said.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Extremely sad news and my condolences to Jimmi's family.

I shared this story with my three boys this morning after reading the news and we discussed this as a family. One of my boys suggested that the Junior Rugby Players have a black arm band day one Saturday at Britannia in Jimi's memory and to raise awareness.

If anyone from Baysie Rugby can check the suitability of the idea with the family, I'm happy to liaise with Rugby WA and can be contacted via Wests Junior Rugby or our TWF site.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
    I shared this story with my three boys this morning after reading the news and we discussed this as a family.
    It's fantastic that you can talk about this as a family.
    This is as it should be.

I feel that the other thing we as 'fathers' can do is not be shy about showing what are considered 'negative' emotions in front of our children. We need them to understand that it's ok for blokes to cry and be depressed and down and that this is a normal part of life.
    We don't need to 'Man Up' (f*cking hate that phrase) we are allowed to sit there and have a good damn cry if things are not going our way.
    Or even just 'because' without there being a particular reason.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I cannot imagine what this family is going through. They are in my prayers.

Champion
    vCash
    More sad news.
    Those who have been around local rugby a while will know big Cam McCullough, former Roo Dogs president. He and wife Jules lost their son Sam in a tragic accident in London. A service will be held at Pinnaroo on Friday morning. Thoughts and love with the family

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Jimi was a little dude who lived around the corner from me.
    He was the year above at school and at rugby to my eldest, I coached his little sister the last couple seasons.

This is enormously tragic for his family, our community and our rugby club.

His mum and dad are lovely people, and are hurting.
    Their plea that suicide be spoken about in the efforts to prevent similar occurrences happening to others shows real strength and fortitude.

Although I don't speak for the Perth Bayswater Rugby Club on an official capacity, a number of huge thank you's to some amazing people within the RugbyWA and Force Organisation for reaching out, making contact, spending time and speaking with both the players and parents from Jimi's team.

It is a deeply saddening occurrence, please hold your loved ones tight and listen to them.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm so sorry to hear your news Wholetruth. My sympathy to Sam's family also.

Things like this are not meant to happen ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    I'm on board with Jimmy's dad. Why is suicide such a taboo subject?
    Pretty much every other social evil is best dealt with in an open forum. Partner bashing, addiction, racism etc.. Pretty much every one benefits from open discussion.
    Some time ago I spoke to a railway man who told me about how many people in Perth throw them selves under trains. Events that are basically not reported. That sounds like a problem. Or is it just that the powers that be think it's too hard or not worth dealing with?

..and yeah, what everyone above said.
    There is a standard 'rule of thumb' in journalism that suicides - or more particularly the means by which it is done - are not reported on due to the copy cat effect.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast