Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Govt offers rugby union funds to keep Western Force in competition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    My suggestion would be to be very clear in separating what was normal SR funding from what was additional/bail-out/loan monies, otherwise someone will grab that $11.7M number and say "See, they admit they got almost half the ARU $28M bail-outs..."
    Yes, don't worry Andy - I'll be making it very clear what was bail out and what was standard SR grant funding.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Did the Auditors reports highlight any concerns?

vCash
    Nice work Alison

Player
    vCash
    Alison, I reckon if you can get this to Alan Jones it will get all the media's attention.
    Hanse might be able to give his contact details.
    He would love the bit about grassroots funding as well.

vCash
    provide a Sauce too, before anything given to Media I would suggest... but good work regardless Alison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    At least! In 2015 - when they gave the Rebels to Cox FOR ZERO PAYMENT! - they wrote off a cool $13million in loans owed to the ARU by the Rebels. Let that sink in for a bit - $13million written off just like that. Plus they gave the Rebels a "special payment" of $2.6million in addition to their standard Super Rugby grant funding of $5.7milion for the first year of Cox's ownership (2016).

If you include the loan write off, the ARU has handed a total of $33,501,000 to the Melbourne Rebels since 2014 alone. That compares to a total of $11,695,000 given to us in the same period. And that $11million to us INCLUDES the $3.7million they paid us for selling them our IP and licence.

And the ARU has the temerity to show US the door because Super Rugby is too costly for them to run. There is something very, very rotten about the ARU in all of this.

I'll post my figures tomorrow. If any journos are reading this post, this would make a bloody good story in the press next week before the SANZAAR meeting. Nick Taylor - are you interested?
    Mind blowing!!!!

Love you're work Alison.... mighty impressive

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    The source is the ARU's own published accounts, which I have downloaded from ASIC's online 'shop' at a cost of $38 per set. The 2016 accounts haven't been uploaded to the ASIC site yet but the ARU's CFO very kindly sent me a copy when I asked if he could let me have a copy of the notes referred to in the summary statement in the ARU's 2016 Annual Report.

I am not an accountant so my summaries are limited but there is no avoiding the fact that if anyone has been "propped up" by the ARU (as Clyne put it in THAT interview on Kick and Chse on 11 April) it's the Melbourne Rebels; and by some margin too.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Did the Auditors reports highlight any concerns?
    Not checked that yet, but I don't think so, no.

vCash
    In essence most auditors only highlight money that hasn't gone where it's been reported to yo. Ie cooking the books.

(I mean they'll also report on Little things like trading whilst insolvent and stuff like that, but for most businesses that aren't going to fall on their face in the next reporting period) it's pretty much are you trying to hide anything from your stakeholders.

If they've Put the money where they've said it's going, most auditors will be ok unless a fund that's named to imply it should have money has "leaked" money to an unknown destination.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The source is the ARU's own published accounts, which I have downloaded from ASIC's online 'shop' at a cost of $38 per set. The 2016 accounts haven't been uploaded to the ASIC site yet but the ARU's CFO very kindly sent me a copy when I asked if he could let me have a copy of the notes referred to in the summary statement in the ARU's 2016 Annual Report.

I am not an accountant so my summaries are limited but there is no avoiding the fact that if anyone has been "propped up" by the ARU (as Clyne put it in THAT interview on Kick and Chse on 11 April) it's the Melbourne Rebels; and by some margin too.
    Problem is.....this has all been reported. (ARU complain they've spent $28mil on super teams in the last five years - 85% on the Rebels!) As has Fox's request for the ARU to axe the Force (to save Fox money) in exchange to keep the broadcast license fees the same for 4 teams as it is for 5.

But media (eastern states mainly) don't seem to care or a no good at their jobs

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSC View Post
    Problem is.....this has all been reported. (ARU complain they've spent $28mil on super teams in the last five years - 85% on the Rebels!) As has Fox's request for the ARU to axe the Force (to save Fox money) in exchange to keep the broadcast license fees the same for 4 teams as it is for 5.

But media (eastern states mainly) don't seem to care or a no good at their jobs
    Curious as to why you keep saying Fox wanted to cut the Force when it has been reported that Fox wanted 5 Aussie sides. Do you have a source on it?

vCash
    I guess I want it out there that if Super Rugby in Aust isn't "financially viable" in its current format, that's not because of the Force; it's entirely because of the Rebels. Chucking us out because they and others made a right mess when bringing in the Vics is an outrage. It'll hardly impact the current bottom line and will kill rugby in WA for a generation.

It seems to me that WA has done everything that was expected from it when the ARU expanded the competition to include us and has done it on a shoestring budget as far as the ARU is concerned. To be felled at the knees for that suggests to me that this isn't really about finances or the talent pool; it's about vested interests and backroom deals. Pure and simple. And that's what I want to try and prove with the figures.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    yar, several at Fox, plus all three eastern states News ltd papers

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSC View Post
    yar, several at Fox, plus all three eastern states News ltd papers
    Willing to name them or is it secret squirrel stuff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    If it wasn't for Barnett's incompetence the State wouldn't have been bankrupt in the first place.
    Now Now.. Don't be reminding the conservatives about stuff like that.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast