Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Great Australian Rugby Furphy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Clearly not as much as I once enjoyed mate
    But enough to maintain the lead. You have a few swoopers on your tail now though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Well done, Burgs. Maybe Hansie and/or General can use this.
    According to ARU there are 130 players O/S. The argument in reducing from 5 to 4 teams is lost on me. ARU also mentioned they expect a larger drain as English rugby are going to lift the salary cap.

As Alan Jones said " the product is flawed" ... There appears to be no plan to retain layers here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    According to ARU there are 130 players O/S. The argument in reducing from 5 to 4 teams is lost on me. ARU also mentioned they expect a larger drain as English rugby are going to lift the salary cap.

As Alan Jones said " the product is flawed" ... There appears to be no plan to retain layers here.

And after the plan to cut another team that number will rise again..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post

Hansie/anyone do you have any insights into why NZ seems to be able to keep their players at home but we can't.

To my mind this is the biggest issue for Australian rugby but it isn't being talked about. If we had the best ten aussie players in each position playing super rugby and we were struggling I could see the argument for one less team. But we don't. The part that really gets me is that when a really good super rugby player that isn't a wallaby (think Luke Jones, Liam Gill, Keiran Longbottom) leaves the overall reaction is oh well, to bad. Rather then the disaster it is. For some reason only retaining a wallaby is important. Neglecting the fact that if the super teams standard drops so to will the standard of the wallabies.

vCash
    Yeah, for a country with such a small population, and therefore supposedly a lack of ability to raise funds to compete with the Euro, how exactly does NZ do it? Is it because most of their development systems are self-funded and not being constantly under pressure from big investment from the FFA, AFL and RL like here in Australia? Is a lot of our money being used to simply survive, whereas in NZ they don't have that problem?

Been watching a lot of the South African high school stuff, looks like they wouldn't need top-down funding either.

Last edited by chibi; 23-04-17 at 12:45.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Respect for the back Jersey is one thought that comes to mind how the Kiwis keep their players.... Ritchiecould have gone anywhere and chose to stay together with many of the "key" players.. they are brought up from babes in arm to aspire to the black jersey..and I just love the passion...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think you may find there are a bucket load of kiwis playing over seas too. Far more than our Aussies

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Put simply. I revkon it's the aura of the AB's in the NZ psyche. You can't imitate it. There's over 100 years' tradition supporting. A good indicator of that tradition is the high value still placed on the "Log of Wood' in the NPC. It just is what it is.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Hansie/anyone do you have any insights into why NZ seems to be able to keep their players at home but we can't.

To my mind this is the biggest issue for Australian rugby but it isn't being talked about. If we had the best ten aussie players in each position playing super rugby and we were struggling I could see the argument for one less team. But we don't. The part that really gets me is that when a really good super rugby player that isn't a wallaby (think Luke Jones, Liam Gill, Keiran Longbottom) leaves the overall reaction is oh well, to bad. Rather then the disaster it is. For some reason only retaining a wallaby is important. Neglecting the fact that if the super teams standard drops so to will the standard of the wallabies.
    Don't worry Cheik's 'Other' Love child, Beale is coming back for the Tarhds- Wallabies are saved.

vCash
    I reckon it's a combo of the aura of the black jersey, a reverence of the game of rugby by the entire nation and the lack of any rival sporting code to take away the sporting $ from rugby.

Much as I hate the swagger and arrogance that can go with it, I have to admire what NZ has done for the game and how sublime their skill is in playing it. Credit where credit's due.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    I think you may find there are a bucket load of kiwis playing over seas too. Far more than our Aussies
    I have no doubt there are, I just get the impression that they are better at keeping the players they wont at home ie in any All Black position picks 1 to 5 are playing super rugby. This is just my impression, i could be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    The powers that be need to stop worrying about this and just let a free market rule. We are in the state we are because the ARU do worry about this.

Did it matter that Great Dane went and ate stinky cheese for a few years?

If someone want's to become a star overseas? Well done sir.. Penalising them for it is Super Hitler.
    Play were you want, do your best, if you're good enough have this gold and green jersey.
    "szimplezs.."

"Let my players go!"
    If the free market ruled - there would be no teams in Australia, let alone 4 or 5. There would most probably be an AFL competition of 6 teams, and an ARL competition about the same number.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    If the free market ruled - there would be no teams in Australia, let alone 4 or 5. There would most probably be an AFL competition of 6 teams, and an ARL competition about the same number.
    I'm interested to know how you arrive at the NRL number and especially the AFL one.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    I'm not going back to count just now, but would be easily double, if not triple. Likewise South Africans, probably just double.
    In the pre-Force version I think there was about 120 total SANZAR overseas that I counted, long ago memories now though, so could be wrong.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The part of the argument that I find incomprehensible is how dropping a team will suddenly make the other 4 competitive with the kiwi sides. From what I have seen if you selected the wallabies today, and based on current form, the Hurricanes would tear them a new one (as would the Crusaders and probably the chiefs as well).

Shrink your way to success? Sheer lunacy...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast