Thread: ARU exec’s links to Melbourne Rebels questioned by former Western Force CEO Peter O’M

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

ARU exec’s links to Melbourne Rebels questioned by former Western Force CEO Peter O’M

Nick Taylor
    Wednesday, 19 April 2017 10:59AM

Former Western Force chief executive Peter O’Meara has questioned the independence of a top Australian Rugby Union executive involved in the process to cull a team from Super Rugby.

He has queried whether chief operations officer Rob Clarke should be involved.

Clarke is a former chief executive of both the Melbourne Rebels and the ACT Brumbies.

The Rebels and Force are struggling to avoid the axe.

O’Meara, the inaugural Force chief executive, also questioned the evaluation process being used by the ARU to decide which club to axe.

The ARU said it had no comment. Clarke was contacted for comment.

O’Meara is at the centre of a syndicate plotting to save the struggling Force with an injection of $50 million.

“From a corporate governance perspective there are things I am hearing and seeing about the ARU process that are disturbing,” O’Meara said.

“You have a senior executive in Rob Clarke, a former chief executive of both the Brumbies and Rebels, who has been at the forefront of negotiations to drop a team. My concern is whether his recommendations are totally independent given his (former) close affiliation and background with the two rugby franchises and, according to a Rebels press release, at no stage had the national body even hinted that the Rebels were in danger and was contrary to advice provided by ARU management.

“The rugby public should simply ask that the evaluation process be transparent and defendable.”

Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry said he knew little of the plan by O’Meara, former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers, former ARU and Waratahs director Jon Collins and ground sign provider Raymond Burke.

“We have not been part of any discussions. We understand they have been held with the Government,” Sinderberry said.

“They sound like interesting long-term possibilities but what is important is that we remain 100 per cent committed to the community ownership Own the Force model.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/aru-exe...-ng-b88449310z

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

“You have a senior executive in Rob Clarke, a former chief executive of both the Brumbies and Rebels, who has been at the forefront of negotiations to drop a team. My concern is whether his recommendations are totally independent given his (former) close affiliation and background with the two rugby franchises and, according to a Rebels press release, at no stage had the national body even hinted that the Rebels were in danger and was contrary to advice provided by ARU management.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/aru-exe...-ng-b88449310z
    Sounds like Mr Clarke may be the "leak" at the ARU

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Rob Clarkes involvement in this saga deserves high scrutiny. As does the "leaking" of information to Pandaram.

Champion
    vCash
    http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/02...ing-operations

I can't access Linkedin for his profile. If someone can, can you please share it here.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Rob Clarkes involvement in this saga deserves high scrutiny. As does the "leaking" of information to Pandaram.
    Yes to both. Not too hard to guess who might be the "ARU official" who gave the Rebels an assurance they are in no danger from the axe men.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    As does the "leaking" of information to Pandaram.
    Both him and Georgina certainly have someone on the inside of ARU, probably Bill himself.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    SO its OK to leak information when it suits them. But when a journalist that they use, asks them a real question they shut up.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Sounds like Mr Clarke may be the "leak" at the ARU
    The leaks have come from Fox Sports & News Ltd. The whole process only begun after they (News/Fox) agreed to keep paying the current fees if the ARU dropped one franchise - specifically the Force, Fox/News want them gone to save them $.

Fox/News are just as involved in this process as are the ARU exec - remember the ARU exec have stated (when quizzed why they agreed to expand to 18 teams when the sport financials where so dire) they only now have the option the cut a franchise because the broadcasters (Fox/News) has agreed.

So they ARU have only two options to make, leave the comp as it is (which they passed on at the sanzaar meet) or cut the Force - because that's what Fox/News will allow.

Senior Player
    vCash

“The rugby public should simply ask that the evaluation process be transparent and defendable.”
    It gets murkier and murkier.
    Reminds me of doing business in certain countries in Africa.

Rookie
    vCash
    It's a little more tenuous but Cameron Clyne represented Victoria in rugby as well.

"Clyne has had a lifelong involvement in rugby, playing for Victoria against both the touring All Blacks and Springboks."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...e1d0c8085179d2

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSC View Post
    The leaks have come from Fox Sports & News Ltd. The whole process only begun after they (News/Fox) agreed to keep paying the current fees if the ARU dropped one franchise - specifically the Force, Fox/News want them gone to save them $.

Fox/News are just as involved in this process as are the ARU exec - remember the ARU exec have stated (when quizzed why they agreed to expand to 18 teams when the sport financials where so dire) they only now have the option the cut a franchise because the broadcasters (Fox/News) has agreed.

So they ARU have only two options to make, leave the comp as it is (which they passed on at the sanzaar meet) or cut the Force - because that's what Fox/News will allow.
    The broadcasters only agreed after the ARU told them "pressure had been applied". Foxsports agreed to keep the Force then were told another scenario by the ARU that Foxsports bowed to.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...ugby-franchise

Also, Fox/News Ltd are not the only leakers of information here. That 2 prominent Sydney journalists are reporting about secret ARU documents, not secret Fox/News Ltd documents, proves this.

vCash
    Sounds like a bit internal politics at the ARU may be the case, all trying to push their own barrows and the leaks perhaps a way to help their own causes.

Perhaps Mr Clarke wants Bill's job, he certainly has done just about all but to this point.

Champion
    vCash
    If that the case re Fox why didn't the ARU just say Force is gone that awful Sunday. I can't imagine they included the rebels to make it less brutal could they? I am not sure that is a consideration for them.. They could have said that it was after pressure from Fox then blame them and come out of this schmoozel looking less incompetent!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    If that the case re Fox why didn't the ARU just say Force is gone that awful Sunday. I can't imagine they included the rebels to make it less brutal could they? I am not sure that is a consideration for them.. They could have said that it was after pressure from Fox then blame them and come out of this schmoozel looking less incompetent!!
    Because the further this saga drags on it is increasingly looking like the ARU are incompetent in every facet of running the Rugby here in Australia.

vCash
    Regardless of what pressures they were under, they should all resign in shame except G.Stooke

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by yungfen; 19-04-17 at 14:30.