Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rebels and Force give ARU both barrels

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Does that mean they have not acquired the WA franchise's contractual rights and obligations, including player contracts, plant and equipment, funds, sponsorship entitlements, office equipment, etc?

If so, the Force may only need to change its name and logo to continue as an entity run by RugbyWA, although who they play against may be an issue.

I doubt if the Force have anything else which might be protected by copyright or trademark, or capable of logically being defined as such.

If RugbyWA can also raise $5m plus from the float, and can find some competition somewhere to play in, it might well be in a position to tell the ARU to go $#&*@# themselves.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wow, that's become very interesting. Does that mean that there's nothing stopping RugbyWA from fielding the same squad as the "WA State team" and then arranging matches with whomever they like, or playing in any competition that accepts them?

I know that I've been entertaining the fantasy idea of WA in the Japan Top-League, but seeing as Argentina's Pampas XV did it once, what's to stop WA from playing in the SA domestic competition if SARU hypothetically says "OK"..?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 15-04-17 at 15:45.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    More support from Andrew Slack in the Courier Mail

Andrew Slack says Western Force deserve to survive Super Rugby cull
    Andrew Slack, The Courier-Mail
    44 minutes ago
    I DON’T understand much about commerce, and I never understand legal speak.

You might ask why I bother to keep an eye on the rugby at all, because at the moment these things are the only talking points surrounding the code.

I’m sure I’m not the only confused one.

Since last week’s announcement that one of our five Super Rugby teams will be disbanded, the passion so often evident in an underdog has been vehemently expressed by parties within the under fire teams – the Melbourne Rebels and the Western Force.

Many seemingly relevant and well-expressed views have been forwarded by connections of the clubs and it’s impossible not to admire their tenacity as they lay down their cases for survival.

I expressed my views, (uncluttered by the messy intricacies of contracts and other such legal issues) several weeks ago.

In short, I don’t believe Australia has the platform for five teams.

I’m not prepared to sacrifice potential short-to-medium term success and stability, for a long-term goal of rugby growing exponentially across the continent.

It is a goal I believe has minimal chances of being attained.

Of course, the people supporting the retention of the five-team scenario argue that this goal is achievable. It’s a case of “he says, she says” and there’s no way to know who’s right.

Ultimately, someone had to make a decision and the ARU Board has – or more’s the case, has been forced to.

If one is to go, which one then should it be?

When a fourth team was first mooted, I was a supporter of Melbourne, purely on the basis of the costs and movements associated with geography and the fact it was crowding the territory the NRL had infiltrated.

The Western Force won that battle though and after more than 10 years’ involvement in Super Rugby would be my choice to remain.

The geography issue remains the same, but their support base has been strong and faithful despite limited success, and the chances of establishing a growing rugby footprint appears to be greater than that in Melbourne where there are so many AFL teams and a regularly successful Melbourne Storm to tempt fans whose rugby persuasion is a movable feast.

The complication there is private ownership.

None of this is easy. Jobs and livelihoods are at stake.

The players’ futures have been widely spoken about, but for the ones whose talents deserve it, there are options within Australia and outside.

It’s not so easy for administration and coaching staff.

Alternative options are fewer than for the players.

The bottom line is that professional sport is a pit of vipers.

It’s a numbers game and sadly, the numbers just haven’t added up and someone will be paying the cost.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...0e79857797f219

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    But bad news out of Melbourne

Western Force’s Super future even more uncertain as Rebels boss refuses to sell license
    Jamie Pandaram, The Sunday Telegraph
    April 15, 2017 4:00pm

IT was the conversation that has put another nail in the Western Force’s coffin.

Melbourne Rebels owner Andrew Cox told his players categorically at a meeting he would not be selling his license.

The simple equation here is that if Cox does not sell his license, the ARU cannot remove Melbourne from the Super Rugby competition, leaving the Force as the only alternative.

The Force has served a legal writ upon the ARU saying they in breach of an agreement signed last May between both parties that would see the club through to the end of the current broadcast deal in 2020.

But Cox and the Rebels hit back in astonishing fashion late Friday when they released a lengthy statement slamming the national union over its handling of the affair and indicating they’ll seek financial compensation for damaging their brand by identifying them and the Force as the two clubs in the frame to get cut in a revamped 15-team competition from next year.

Cox purchased the license for the Rebels from the ARU in 2015 and it was a 20-year deal.

If he refuses to sell, at any price offered to him, the ARU is powerless to remove them.

But he is a businessman and they all have their price.

It has been speculated recently Cox would have been willing to sell the license back for $5 million.

However, the financially stricken ARU cannot afford to buy it

This would leave the Force an option to raise the money themselves, buy the license and save their club.

According to insiders, the Force could potentially raise that money, but would then need another $6 million simply to operate their franchise in 2018.

But Cox’s conversation with Rebels players has turned that prospect on its head.

If he holds his word, there is no avenue the Force or ARU can take to axe the Rebels.

The ARU would be left to fight its legal battle against the Force, and argue that despite the original broadcast agreement guaranteeing the Perth club safety until the end of 2020, the revamped competition from 18 teams to 15 means it is inherently a new broadcast deal.

As a successful businessman, Cox is also aware the Rebels are at a low base.

The Force’s expected demise would strengthen Melbourne’s squad, and make them a more valuable proposition to sell at a later date.

Given lawyers are involved, this matter is not expected to resolved anytime soon.

But the Rebels’ strong statement and Force’s legal move pile more pressure on the embattled ARU board and chief executive Bill Pulver, whose contract expires in February.

Perhaps the most damaging element of Melbourne’s statement on Friday was the indication they were misled by the ARU when purchasing the license.

It was the year Super Rugby was expanded to 18 teams, and the Rebels believe if the ARU thought five Australian teams was unsustainable they should never have offered to sell the license of a franchise to a private owner.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...81a388b16b7fa6

vCash
    God this private ownership deal the ARU got themselves in is a pain in the arse.

It seems the ARU handed a gun & big bag of money to Cox and sent him on his way.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Anyone seen a crowd number for Reds v Kings?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Anyone seen a crowd number for Reds v Kings?
    11,336 at Reds vs Kings.

Compare with 34,592 for Broncos vs Titans at Lang Park last night.

7,574 at Rebels vs Brumbies tonight - sad.

Last edited by FingerTips; 15-04-17 at 19:51.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    bugger all at the rebels tonight as well-but well done to them-the brumbies were so bad it was hard to believe it was legit,especially when against 13-then later 14

vCash
    You lot are better than me.

I haven't watched a single game of Super Rugby this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    bugger all at the rebels tonight as well-but well done to them-the brumbies were so bad it was hard to believe it was legit,especially when against 13-then later 14
    It was on the box when I walked in, so I saw a bit of it. Can anybody tell me why the brumbies are excluded from the cutting conversation, based upon Tonight's performance it isn't quality football, not their good name either. Have they got their financials back in order after the acc thing? Or did they just pay off some Muppet in Sydney?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    You lot are better than me.

I haven't watched a single game of Super Rugby this weekend.
    Bloody Mungo!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Bloody Mungo!
    For the first time in years I've watched every game of NRL this weekend. I even watched some of the AFL fixtures.

Super Rugby is so low on my list at the moment.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I've watched 1 game of Aviva Premiership today. Another 1 tomorrow and a Guinness Pro12 game.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    It was as if the Brumbies were told to hold back! 5 pts against 13! WTF! Might end up with the bookies looking at that result!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I'm in Singapore for the 7s so 15-a-side isn't on my radar at all this weekend!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast