Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force launch legal action in fight over Super Rugby future

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Can't open that link
    The Western Force has issued a writ against the Australian Rugby Union in an extraordinary move to head off plans to evict them from Super Rugby.

And Melbourne Rebels owner Andrew Cox last night told The Australian that the Rebels reserve all of their righta as they too consider going down the legal route.

The ARU yesterday announced it would make a call this week on which team would be culled from the competition, with the choice now confined to the Force and the Rebels. But after holding an unsatisfactory meeting with the ARU yesterday the Force decided to launch a pre-emptive strike.

The writ taken out in the Supreme Court notifies the ARU of the Force’s intention to apply for an injunction against the plan to revoke their Super Rugby licence.

The writ demands that the ARU act in strict accordance with the agreement it signed when it took over the Force more than a year ago.

“The RugbyWA Board had an unsatisfactory meeting with Australian Rugby Union (ARU) management representatives today that highlighted that the terms of the assessment and process being used to evaluate ourselves and the Rebels were inconsistent and inequitable,” the Force said in a statement.

“Discussions also failed to address the responsibilities that exist in the Alliance Agreement between RugbyWA and the ARU and we felt in order to protect our position it was necessary to issue legal proceedings to protect our rights under the Alliance Agreement.

“Initially we had particular concerns about the 72-hour deadline to respond, however we have now been advised that we will have further time to present our business case.”

Until now, the Force have attempted to play the emotional card but clearly the ARU is taking a hard line with them, dismissing their overwhelming display of fan support that has culminated in the Own the Force campaign to raise between $5-10 million to buy back the licence. At yesterday’s press conference, Pulver announced that the bottom line was indeed the bottom line. “Fan passion should be financially measurable,” he said.

But while the ARU contemplates whether to sacrifice either the Force or the Rebels, there is a real chance the crisis could claim another victim, Pulver himself.

Pulver announced yesterday he was prepared to stand down “in a heartbeat” if he felt it was in the best interests of the game.

“I originally came in on a five-year agreement; I’m not going to seek a five-year agreement,” Pulver said. “I acknowledge there’s a lot of heartache out there and, believe me, if I thought stepping aside would advantage Australian rugby in any sense, I would do it in a heartbeat.”

There have been widespread calls for Pulver to provide strong leadership and in a sense that is what he has done in deciding to axe a team, something he and ARU chairman Cameron Clyne admitted had been on the cards since soon after Australia boosted its Super Rugby presence to five teams in 2011.

But this SANZAAR strategic review has come at great personal cost to just about everyone involved and it may be that Pulver simply can’t live down the recriminations that will follow him

Soon, however, the ARU will have far more complicated staffing decisions to make than any Pulver will provide. If the Force goes, how will the ARU deal with, for example, Wallabies utility back Dane Haylett-Petty, who indicated when he resigned with the Perth club that it was either stay with them or head overseas. He might have signed with an Australian club, but will be held to his contract if that club no longer exists?

By dropping a team, the ARU should have at least an additional $6 million at its disposal per year which it has vowed to pour into grassroots rugby.

“The ARU is also heavily underinvested (in this area), particularly in comparison with our major international rivals at the professional levels,” Clyne said.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Ok, apart from signing petitions (which I have done), writing to the WA govt (which I have done), and writing to the ARU (which I have also done) - what can little old diehard fans like me do??

It does not seem that rational arguments are being listened to. Only the dollar seems to count...

PS I have bought a share...
    I'm thinking we have enough time before our next home game on the 22nd to think of something.I'm still keen on my previous suggestion of giving the ARU a 'Blue Moon'. maybe that's just the exhibitionist in me!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What does buying back the license mean? Can't SANZAR still vote to kick us out?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    The way I understand it sanzar issues each union with a a number of franchises. The ARU then issue these as licenses to each club. In our case the ARU own our license which is what the own the Force campaign is primarily about. Using the money raised to purchase the license back. Sanzar can't kick is out only the home union can do that. Sanzar can reduce the amount or format which is what they have done.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    SAANZAR have nothing more to do with who gets the boot, ARU must decide that.

It is very pleasing to see our club taking the fight to the ARU and not taking it lying down. I think our board may be the only one's in this whole debacle that understand that just like any on field match, this off field stuff can only be won with the same aggression and fight and never say die attitude that wins those classic rugby matches. No wonder the ARU thought they could just throw one of us out of town, they also think we are going run over the ABs one day as long as we keep showing up, they are delusional.

If only Stooke voted against the motion, does that mean the Rebels representative voted to axe a team or are they the one's who did not vote? Be interesting to know that answer. Can only assume if they voted to boot a team, they did it with some understanding as to how that was going to take shape.

The smoke from ES press straight after the London meeting was spot on and the result similar after Sunday's announcement, so much so that it reads as if the deal had been done and they certainly were not expecting the legal fight they now have on their hands.

The meeting yesterday and who was involved almost confirms the above, why did we get the bean counters and Rebs get Pulver?

If the Brumbies already beat the criteria which we will be assessed on, there must be a lot of people who know exactly what that criteria is but are keeping very quiet because I would hazard to say that if the criteria was known, it would impossible for the ARU to justify their final decision. No doubt these goal posts will move to suit their desired result as this saga continues.

Anyway, my money has been paid and my gloves are on.

ARU, bike racks, after school, I dare ya!

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 11-04-17 at 09:42.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    This is solely on the ARU and not SANZAAR.

The ARU could have gone to the meeting in London and vetoed any moves to change the competition structure or vetoed any moves to cut an Australian side.

They did not.

Instead they have decided to put the interests of a foreign Union ahead of Australian interests and rumors floating around last night was that the ARU were promised an extra $30 million from the TV deal to accept the Sunwolves into eh Australia conference.

Even Fox Sports wanted 5 Australian sides FFS!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Note, pulver goes to Melbourne and two ARU hatchet men to Perth. Given billy's recent evidence with making and announcing tough decisions who thinks he's on a plane to tell the rabble that they're ok?

I hope lavas have some bloody pitfalls arguing the case for compensation, because we need to be able to bankrupt the code to keep our team.

Perhaps bankruptcy would be the best thing for it. The government could step in and appoint a board who actually serve the interests of all of Australia, not just the bits east of Penrith.
    We need someone like Kerry Packer to do with Rugby like Kerry did for Cricket....

vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    deleted

Last edited by zed; 11-04-17 at 10:14.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    We need someone like Kerry Packer to do with Rugby like Kerry did for Cricket....
    Somehow I think that would end up more like what Rupert did for rugby league...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post

Pulver announced that the bottom line was indeed the bottom line. “Fan passion should be financially measurable,” he said.
    nice... how much are the rebels fans putting up I wonder..

The more you think about the less sustainable the rebels become. The ARU will get sick of throwing money at them and the owner cox will get sick of throwing money away. The rebels going the way of the dodo is not dependant upon whether we remain or not

Do the right thing for once ARU.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Thank you alan jones - never thought I'd say that.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    48 -72 hours timeframe now axed.

Amazing what little writ can do!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Thank you alan jones - never thought I'd say that.
    i'm just listening to it now. but f**k me Alan Jones is hard to listen to just on his cadence and the way he talks...

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast