Thread: The ARU needs to choose between money and the rest of us.

vCash

The ARU needs to choose between money and the rest of us.

It's pretty clear the ARU's financial backers and big media currently have it over a barrel. I'm pretty sure none of the ARU board think shrinking to 4 super rugby teams is a good idea. This is all pressure bought about by big money wanting more big money.

So what should the ARU do? That's easy, leave Super Rugby and expand the national rugby competition to any state or local stake holder that can put a financially viable team forward. If the South Australians, Tasmainains or Terratorians can field a properly funded team, let them do so. Let them also bring in overseas players as they wish or can afford. Make this new competition a nursery for any new rugby talent around the globe, not just the local type. Then if your young Georgian prop who was overlooked elsewhere turns to gold? Give him a gold jersey.

And what should this new competition be called? The Australian Rugby Union of course.

I'm guessing within 2-3 years there will be a southern hemisphere champions league style tier for the best two or three ARU teams to play in each season. If not? Fuck SANZAR and we ask the the European Champions Cup if we can send our two or three of our best teams up there each year. I'm pretty sure norther hemisphere crowds would love to see a few ARU teams in their Champions Cup each year.

Come on ARU, tell SANZAR to fuck off.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    I've been thinking about this. I'm curious as to which opposition people enjoy watching?

For me, my favourite home games are when we play other Australian teams. I like nothing better than watching The Force beat local opposition.

Does anyone else feel this way?

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    I like that too. But nothing beats an against the odds win against a Kiwi team. Nothing!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yeah, very true.. But wins against the kiwi teams should not be against the odds games..
    ~ he said raising the bar ~

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Senior Player
    vCash

It's all about the money

The sad sad truth is that the future of the Force is all about the money.

Does anyone doubt that the Force's place in this week's shoot-out with the Rebels would be a lot stronger if its financial condition hadn't got to the point where the ESRU had to bail-out Rugby WA in 2016 by in effect taking over the Western Force?

A majority of the ESRU Board are corporate types with little hands-on experience of rugby union. They won't understand soft topics like sport tribalism, fan loyalty, human cost, code footprints, respect for fans etc.

They will understand dollars and cents. They will understand contingent liabilities (e.g. being sued by the owner of the Melbourne Rebels).

They would understand any actions brought by the WA Government to recover some or all of the monies invested by the State Government in rugby union since 2005 - but that's unlikely to happen, I fear.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FingerTips; 10-04-17 at 15:14.

Champion
    vCash
    What about the $20 mill paid to the Rebels by the ARU since they started and all the other cash paid out to the other teams

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    What about the $20 mill paid to the Rebels by the ARU since they started and all the other cash paid out to the other teams
    The ESRU board will probably treat prior payouts as sunk costs.
    (And burble on about not throwing good money after bad.)

Because the ESRU doesn't own the Rebels, they are not liable for its debts (unless there is a side-letter somewhere between the ESRU and Cox).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post

Because the ESRU doesn't own the Rebels, they are not liable for its debts (unless there is a side-letter somewhere between the ESRU and Cox).
    This is what's feeding my possible conspiracy theory and why I'd like a definite answer as to whether OUR money will be used to buy the Rabble licence rather than buy our own back - if we survive the next 48hrs. I think the ARU might have been playing the long game ever since rumours of our demise first surfaced. Force Rugby WA to relinquish the licence, use that as leverage to shut them down - or have them buy out the Rabble - along with whatever conditions come with that licence. Either way watch that licence probably fail in the current environment. No more money paid to expansion areas and back to three teams. The end purpose all along?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David