Thread: Western Force doing great at a providing a development pathways for youngsters

Senior Player
    vCash

Western Force doing great at a providing a development pathways for youngsters

With all the speculation tonight, I am going to post these articles about players from the future force from the past few weeks including a local boy Clay Uyen to describe the great development pathway we have with the future force.

UWA product Clay Uyen is one of nine new members of the Future Force Foundation for 2017 and the outside back has taken his game to new heights since joining the program.

Captain of the Road Safety Western Force U20s, Uyen has starred in the Super U20s Championship to earn selection in the BMW Australian U20s squad in the lead up to this year's World Championship.

We sat down with the WA young gun last week to learn a bit more about him and get his thoughts on the Future Force Foundation so far.

Name: Clay Uyen
    Position: Outside Back
    Born: 8/04/1997
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 90kg
    Club: UWA

Clay, how have you found your experience with the Future Force Foundation so far?

It has been full on, including the U20’s, but I’ve found that I’ve got so much out of it in such a short amount of time.

What is the best thing you’ve learnt in the program so far?

Just about how the system works, the whole hierarchy with the Force and where we come into it. I had no idea until I was exposed to it I guess. The way that it works all the way from Super Rugby all the way down to club, how it involves the CEO and coaches and how it all links together.

What do you think your biggest strengths are as a player?

I’d like to say my speed and footwork, but I suppose other people give me noise for it. I love to get around players and beat them one-on-one and I’ve got a bit of mongrel so that’s always handy.

Which current international player do you look up to or you model your game on and why?

I would go with Drew Mitchell, he’s played a lot of rugby at all different levels and different clubs all over the world and just the way he travels and still maintains to be such a good bloke and player, he’s pretty inspiring.

What are your rugby goals for 2017 and ultimate career aspirations?

In 2017 I want to make the Australian 20s camp and then from there the squad. I then want to make my debut by the end of this year.

Which Western Force player have and can you learn the most from at training or around the club?

Marcel Brache he’s such a book of knowledge and he always has such a good relationship with the guys who are younger then him because he’s so social. He’s probably the best one I’d target to pick his brain and ask him questions and he’s such a go-to.

How has Steve Anderson’s coaching methods helped you develop since you arrived?

It’s very different but growing up in WA you learn how brutal a coach he is and he is definitely that. They have a standard and they expect a lot from you which is good because you come up to that standard and they don’t except anything less. I found a lot of the other guys were really shocked by his different coaching style but I’ve found that the development programme in WA is actually quite similar to the way he coaches.

Are you pursuing anything outside of rugby?

I love cars so I did have a bit of a look into mechanical engineering in my second year at UWA. I want to build fast ones basically, I’d love to get on the formula one circuit as an engineer and have a say in what’s next in the automotive industry. But other than that, professional singing, dancing and surfing…

What is your favourite thing to do on a day off?

It would be to find a sand dune and drive all over it 4WDing. I’d take a surf board with me and a pack up BBQ and just get out of the city.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/10-10-clay-uyen

The next generation of Road Safety Western Force players are coming through the Future Force Foundation with nine new members taking the program to an all time high of 13 players for 2017.

One of the new members is 19-year-old hooker, Sama Malolo, we sat down with the young gun for a quick Q&A to learn a bit more about him and get his thoughts on life in the Future Force Foundation.

Name: Sama Malolo
    Position: Hooker
    Born: 19/02/1998
    Height: 183cm
    Weight: 112kg
    Club: Wests Scarborough

Sama how have you found your experience with the Future Force Foundation so far?

I’ve loved it, it’s been awesome. I’m enjoying how they take care of all their players here. Development-wise it’s been really specific to all our needs like fitness and then specifics for me as a hooker. The individual aspect at training is good.

You moved from Sydney, how are you enjoying Perth?

Perth is awesome. I love it. The lifestyle here is nice and slow; really relaxing; stress-free and it’s been good so far. The beaches here are so much better. So far, I’ve been to Busselton, Rockingham and some of the boys want to go to Dunsborough for the Easter long weekend so that should be good.

Probably to be more organised. Just from talking to a lot of the first grade boys they say all the time that five minutes is five minutes late. So the programme has taught me to organise your day and try and turn up as early as possible. It’s still something I’m working on but it’s really important moving forward.

I don’t want to brag! But something that I’ve always relied on as a player is my footwork. Especially as a forward, because most forwards are usually pretty slow, so having good footwork is something that I’ve relied on.

Which current international player do you look up to or you model your game on and why?

It’ll probably be obvious but Dane Coles, the All Blacks Hooker. Just because of his agility and speed as a hooker. He just changes the game heaps.

I want to try my best to get into the Australian U20’s side and hopefully get a shot at playing in NRC as well. Ultimate career aspirations would be to have an international jersey. That would be the pinnacle of everything while playing footy.

Which Western Force player have and can you learn the most from at training or around the club?

Definitely Shambeckler Vui, he’s one of the young guns of the Western Force but that guy has helped me so much. He’s always willing to talk, not just about footy but off the field as well. He’s one who’s provided me with the most advise out of everyone.

I don’t know if you’ve been in an Ando session but it’s really different to what I’m used to. The way he’s coached us is really unorthodox. He sticks with the basics which, where we’re from, is kind of a prerequisite. We didn’t really develop much of that. But here we really stick to the fundamentals and it shocks you how bad our skills are at this level of rugby. It’s just a real eye opener.

What are your current pursuits outside of rugby?

I want to try get back to university. I was doing a physiotherapy course at the University of Wollongong. But I was thinking about getting a business degree and doing uni over here as well.

Probably do something really relaxed like go to the beach or just go out for lunch.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...10-sama-malolo

Continuing our 10-for-10 series with the newest members of the Future Force Foundation, get to know 18-year-old lock Will Dearden.

Name: Will Deardon
    Position: Lock
    Born: 25/03/1999
    Height: 198cm
    Weight: 98kg
    Club: Kalamunda

Will, how have you found your experience with the Future Force Foundation so far?

It’s great, I love Perth as a city and all the boys are great. We’ve got a great bunch and we’re all gelling pretty well I think. I’m loving it so far. My favourite thing so far has just been playing rugby professionally. That we’re here everyday playing rugby as a job, I don’t think you can get much better than that.

You moved from Queensland, how are you enjoying Perth?

I moved from country Queensland, a little town called Warwick. It’s about two hours south of Brisbane. Perth has been a bit of a change, it’s the first time I’ve ever lived in a city so it’s been good. It’s not too hot, not too cold here so I’m enjoying it. My favourite part so far would be that the traffic’s not too bad compared to Brisbane.

Just to take every little bit of advice you can get. Just take it in and put it towards yourself and your rugby career.

Coming from a League background I love to tackle, just getting up off the line and putting a shot on where I can. And then I like the line-out and scrums as well.

I don’t mind a few of the Reds guys like Rob Simmons. I’ve looked at a lot of his games, just because I’m a Queenslander, and watching him play is probably where I’ve learnt most of my line out skills from.

Well this year, I’m only 18 so still very young, but I’m just hoping for a good, consistent year in the Pindan Premier Grade here in Perth. I just want to build my Rugby experience because I’m still new to the game. I’ve only been playing six months of union, playing League up until 2015 and then in 2016 I played and absolutely loved it. But long term, I guess it’s just like every player, play for the Wallabies and Super Rugby if I can get there.

Definitely Adam Coleman and Matt Philip. They’re both a bit tough so that’s what I want to play like.

Ando is great, he’s often one to take a joke and loves a bit of banter but he’s a great coach. I definitely take in everything he says to me.

What are your current pursuits outside of rugby?

I’m taking a year off this year but eventually I want to get in and study PE Teaching. Hopefully I can do that in the next few years, get in and get a degree.

Favourite thing to do on my day off is probably go down to the beach. I didn’t get much of that growing up so I’m definitely taking advantage of that while I’m here.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...0-will-dearden

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I know this one has probably already been posted but because of tonight I believe it needs to be reposted.

Aranmore Catholic College has long held a reputation as one of Western Australia’s most prestigious rugby schools and the school’s high quality rugby program is bearing fruit with three former students now playing for the Road Safety Western Force.

2011 graduate Kane Koteka was the first Aranmore product to debut for the Force when he ran out against the Hurricanes in 2015 and this season is joined by Chance Peni and Curtis Rona after they returned home following successful stints in rugby league.

Koteka says the school’s rugby program was instrumental in getting all three players to the professional level.

“Aranmore was a massive part of our journey for all three of us in those early days,” he said. “It’s a rugby school so that’s pretty much why all of us went there and it definitely helped us get to where we are today.”

“There was such a strong bond between all the guys on the school team because it was just a bunch of mates going to school together and having fun playing footy.

“Once we started making state teams and development teams we would pretty much spend all day together, going to school and then a big group of us would all head to training together and then school the next day.”

Koteka says he knew there would be a group of Aranmore students pulling on the Force jersey one day.

“Curtis (Rona), Chance (Peni) and I all played first XV together. They (Peni and Rona) both took their own path through rugby league but to all be together at the Force now is awesome.”

“We always thought that there was going to be a few of us that would make it to Super Rugby level because there were so many talented players at the school. To have three of us in the same team this season is pretty unreal.”

Aranmore Head of Rugby Dwayne Grace says having three players at the top level is a testament to the quality of the school’s rugby program that has been developing for years.

“Over the last 12 years we have been building up our rugby program with the aim of creating professional players,” he said.

“Curtis going to the NRL was big for us, then Kane became our first Super Rugby player and now with Chance and Curtis back at the Force it’s great to have three former Aranmore students playing professionally in WA.”

Grace says he could tell from a young age that Koteka, Peni and Rona had the drive to succeed and says it should serve as inspiration to current and future Aranmore students.

“It was clear that these guys had it in them to make it to the professional level because they had the work ethic and the drive to achieve their goals. Bringing these guys back home is a big boost for rugby in WA and for our own program.”

“It shows that if you work hard enough you can get there, they are our first three Super Rugby players and hopefully there will be plenty more. The boys will actually be doing a jersey presentation to the school and speaking to the students in our program about their experiences.

“At the end of the day we just want to give the boys and girls in our rugby program every opportunity to go to school and play as much rugby as they can and allow them to take it as far as they want to.”

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...ng-blue-jersey

Senior Player
    vCash
    To also show the strength of woman rugby in wa....

Australian Rugby Union sign teenage whiz kid Shanice Parker

GOLD medal-winning Australia sevens coach Tim Walsh isn’t resting on his laurels.

He never has.

Four years ago he set about creating a squad to conquer the women’s sevens world.

Now, almost three months after defeating New Zealand to claim gold at the Rio Olympics, Walsh has set his mind on forging a dynasty with depth the key to his masterplan.

“You’ve always got to be evolving and doing stuff differently or doing stuff better,” Walsh told foxsports.com.au.

“We’re certainly going to be improving what we have done, and looking at that base of the core skill and adding a bit of variety.

“We know what our points of difference are and we know where we can make some gains, but it’s more about building a really strong squad and depth now that we’ve got a team with world series champions experience, Olympic experience and the majority of them have won six world series tournaments.

“So it’s about making sure that we’ve got sustainability in place for the girls coming up through the ranks.”

With that plan in mind, the Australian Rugby Union announced 18-year-old Western Australian Shanice Parker as their latest sevens signing on Monday.

For Parker — whose mother Danielle was a Jillaroos squad member at the 2000 rugby league World Cup — her inclusion in the squad is reward for her diligence and love of rugby.

A love that began as a four-year-old playing rugby league.

“Since I was born, I was out on the rugby field so I’ve been brought up with it — league and rugby later on — my whole life,” Parker told foxsports.com.au.

Parker has been on the sevens radar since excelling at the under-18 nationals where she came to the attention of Australia’s assistant coach, Scott Bowen.

A gold medallist at the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa, Parker represents the first of the new crop being ushered in ahead of December’s opening world series leg in Dubai.

“Shanice has worked hard when called upon to train with the Aussie sevens team and has shown that she has what it takes to be a part of this squad,” Walsh said.

“A jack of all trades and a master of some, her speed, footwork and contact skills will make her a valuable asset to this team.

“She is a versatile player and possesses the attributes to be an Australian women’s sevens player.”

Formerly a back, Parker has been moulded into a forward since joining the sevens program in January as a development player.

And who better to learn from than co-captain Shannon Parry, who Parker has lived with since making the move from Perth.

“She’s definitely taken me under her wing because I live with her now,” Parker said.

“She’s like a second mum figure to me, and Emilee Cheery and Charlotte Caslick are always giving me tips. “

While the 2016-17 squad is yet to be formally announced, it’s understood Parker will be the only Western Australian to win a contract.

By gaining selection, Parker hopes to act as an inspiration and proof for everyone in Western Australia that sevens isn’t closed off to women outside the eastern seaboard.

“That’s definitely the long-term goal, to earn selection on one of the world series tours this year,” she said.

“If not, I’ll be happy with next year.

“I’m working hard on improving my skills every day, but, if I was to gain selection, that would mean a lot to me and most of my rugby girls back home because they’re missing me heaps.

“All the younger girls that I used to play with have sent me a little book filled with cute messages.

“Just to be a role model for those girls and get out on the world series and show them that WA girls can get in the scene would be a dream.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ol...18f59ccf05b462

Last edited by volvo; 27-03-17 at 21:25.