Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: Force set to be axed

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Push for senate inquiry into Force axing

Western Australian Liberal Senator Linda Reynolds will call for a Senate Inquiry into the Australian Rugby Union’s decision to cull the Western Force from Super Rugby, with Federal Minister for Sport Greg Hunt also lobbying for an investigation.

Senator Reynolds told The Australian yesterday she will seek the support of the Senate for an inquiry as soon as the upper house resumes in a fortnight. With the NSW Supreme Court to determine tomorrow whether to grant the Force leave to appeal against the decision, events seem to be gathering pace around the ARU’s controversial call to cut the Force from next year’s competition.

Hunt also weighed into the controversy yesterday in support of the Force. “We have an overwhelming preference for five Australian teams as part of the Super Rugby competition,” he said.

“The loss of a team for any state is devastating for both players and supporters. I would urge the ARU to work with the Force and the WA Government to look for a five team solution. I have now raised the issue with the ARU.”

He also supported Senator Reynolds’ call for an investigation of the process that led to the decision. “Any external review that charted a path to this outcome would be welcome.”

The Force’s billionaire backer Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest will meet today with ARU chairman Cameron Clyne and two directors, John Eales and Brett Robinson, in Adelaide to determine whether any support he can give the game nationally and in the West can persuade the ARU to reverse its decision.

And, as expected, the West Australian Government has warned the ARU it will sue it for the $100 million-plus it has poured into the Force — a move that could bankrupt the cash-strapped national body.

Senator Reynolds put the ARU on notice with an adjournment speech to the Senate last week at which she called for the ARU to publicly release information relating to the board’s decision to cut the Force, in particular “the big spreadsheet” it claimed demonstrated the decision was in the best interests of Australian rugby.

Yesterday, she upped the ante.

“There are serious questions that need to be answered on how the ARU came to this decision and I believe a Senate inquiry can bring much-needed transparency to the process, ”she said."

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    I'd say this has them the most worried someone actually looking at what they have done well the so called process by which it was done.. so impressed with all the support and pressure over this!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jules; 22-08-17 at 06:35.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I'd say this has them the most worried someone actually looking at what they have done well the so called process by which it was done.. so impressed with all the support and pressure over this!!
    Yes, I think the Federal Minister for Sport calling the ARU over this mess is probably what encouraged Clyne to have today's meeting. An interesting couple of days coming up.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    It's "their", not "there".

And "nevertheless" not "nether the less".
    You can go back to my original posts they are full of spelling mistakes
    They also stated what was going to happen to the Force
    As you were looking at spell check you failed to see what was going on around you
    The blaming of everyone else bar yourselves is laughable as those that knifed you treat you contempt and no respect
    It's not the saffas or kiwis fault in anyway the ARU could have vetoed the structure at any time
    The saffas don't need you the kiwis don't need you the ARU is the turd in the room so don't look at the saffas or kiwis to clean up your shit
    Weak ARU weak Rugby Wa weak Aussie teams
    Maybe the kiwis and saffas could get together and help by letting the east coast teams join the heartland comp in NZ and the Force join the 1st fifteen comp in SA
    Please look past the spelling the criticism feels the same as having your team sacked

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's probably the ARU's worst case scenario. They're in trouble now!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    As you were looking at spell check you failed to see what was going on around you
    The blaming of everyone else bar yourselves is laughable as those that knifed you treat you contempt and no respect
    It's not the saffas or kiwis fault in anyway the ARU could have vetoed the structure at any time
    The saffas don't need you the kiwis don't need you the ARU is the turd in the room so don't look at the saffas or kiwis to clean up your shit
    Maybe the kiwis and saffas could get together and help by letting the east coast teams join the heartland comp in NZ and the Force join the 1st fifteen comp in SA
    Please look past the spelling the criticism feels the same as having your team sacked
    Can I ask why you feel the need to comment on a Western Force forum when you are obviously not interested in the force or Rugby WA

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Maybe all our emails actually got through and were noticed!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Push for senate inquiry into Force axing
    Sweet. This would mean, for example, that SANZAR and Foxtel could be compelled to reveal when discussions about culling a team started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    I'm not sure why you're getting your knickers a twist, no-one is disagreeing with you. This whole mess is the fault of our ARU amongst other things. No-one else is to blame.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Can I ask why you feel the need to comment on a Western Force forum when you are obviously not interested in the force or Rugby WA
    sevenmile is an anagram for 'n evil smel

don't feed the troll!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I'm not sure why you're getting your knickers a twist, no-one is disagreeing with you.
    1. He's an Internet Troll.

2. He's a Kiwi with a superiority complex brought on by the All Black Effect. Dunno how their RL, Soccer, Cricket etc.....supporters get on. But there you go.

3.As to his point that NZ and ZA don't need Australian Rugby - I'd like to see how long the folks in NZ would enjoy their teams making 23-25 hour flights, thirty thousand feet above us every other week . Bit of a pain with the matches played at 3:00 am and all. That's providing the Saffas have not bailed to play in Europe because they don't fancy those flights at all.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

3.As to his point that NZ and ZA don't need Australian Rugby - I'd like to see how long the folks in NZ would enjoy their teams making 23-25 hour flights, thirty thousand feet above us every other week . Bit of a pain with the matches played at 3:00 am and all. That's providing the Saffas have not bailed to play in Europe because they don't fancy those flights at all.
    Oh didn't read that bit! NZ most definitely need Australian rugby, as do SA.

vCash
    I think Australian rugby needs a complete overhaul.

1) we need $$ to keep players from going overseas and to attract leagies
    2) if we can't get 5 competitive teams then we need to cull at least one, if not 2.
    3) Allow for more foreign players
    4) Dissolve ARU
    5) Genuine salary cap. The whole point of a salary cap is to create a competitive balance. This never happened in Australia. Reds & Waratahs were running around with 15+ current or ex internationals, whilst Rebels and Force, at times, had as few as 2 or 3.

I preferred Super rugby when it was fewer teams. Super 6 was awesome, you knew all the players, every team was stacked with international players and every game was a virtual test match. Now it's just a clusterf**k. 18 teams is way too many. I think 15 is too many. Perhaps we need two divisions. division 1 with top 3 sides from SA, NZ, AUS and 1 from Arg. Division 2 with Pacific island countries plus Japanese side, and 2 weaker sides from SA, NZ, AUS. Perhaps have a promotion/relegation system.

Last edited by zed; 22-08-17 at 10:20.

Champion
    vCash
    Good discussions. I guess I am fortunate to chat with our Kiwi board members as and when their clubs pass through. Every single one say they fear more for the future of SA Rugby due to Political interference than Australia. Most reckon this shake up is the one we needed to have and all say, flying over Australia to play SA is nonsensical. Most tell me they love nothing better than hammering Australia and will relish the time doing it now and maybe for the next few years, but it won't continue!

Super Rugby has NOT sent the ARU broke - that is a fact. The millions paid to Pocock, Genia, Hunt, Folau, Beale etc all add up to a lot. The loss of engagement with community ( just like it happened here in years gone by) is another factor, performance on the field ( Wallabies) is the biggest.

The ARU needs to get rid of Super Rugby. Let us establish a commission to run the game and each Franchise lives and dies by it's governance. Broadcast revenue for Super Rugby goes to the commission or board, distributed evenly and clubs generate the rest. Let ARU run the Tests and Community. This board will also oversee talent equalisation or a draft. The ARU in addition can control coaching, women's, 7 a-side, etc.

The current broadcast agreement is as good as it will ever get. Not only for Rugby, but the same can be said for AFL and NRL. Internet. live streaming, social media are replacing broadcasters so, we need to start engaging in this arena now...not in 2020.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    When a few of us met with Sinderberry what seems like months ago... he said exactly that .. WA is needed in Super Rugby not just for the travel respite for the NZ and SA !!!

Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast