Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Force set to be axed

vCash
    I've had similar comments from colleagues as Leo. I guess as soon as money gets tight, the advertising budget is one of the first to go. Remember back in 2014 when we had ads on the back of buses in Perth, and on advertising hoardings at bus stops and other places around the city?

The promotion of the game - or lack of it - is one of the main reasons why I am so pissed off with the ARU. Their strategy seems to be based on "if we can get the Tahs winning, the Wallabies will folllow suit and that will get the fans flocking to watch rugby". FAIL!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The promotion of the game - or lack of it - is one of the main reasons why I am so pissed off with the ARU. Their strategy seems to be based on "if we can get the Tahs winning, the Wallabies will folllow suit and that will get the fans flocking to watch rugby". FAIL!!
    I think the ARU's thinking is more that if they can centralise all the best players in one or two teams via Wallabies top ups combinations will form that will help their cash cow the Wallabies. It just so happens it is easier to do that for the Reds & Tahs.

Keep in mind NZ seems to be doing the opposite and not thinking the best option for the AB's is to have a few strong teams & the rest weak, but having a large pool of strong players across the board, so yeah, I don't think promotion is the ARU's issue as much as their way of thinking about the way forward.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Pulver is particularly vulnerable on the subject of what teams will make up this new version of Super 15. To prioritise the survival of the Jaguares and the Sunwolves ahead of the Force will be portrayed as betraying Australia’s interests — no matter how persuasive the argument that the growth in those two countries will help Super Rugby in the long term.

WAYNE SMITH
    Bill Pulver between a rock and a hard place as Force face oblivion

The Australian
    12:00AM April 1, 2017

So where do we go from here? How on earth does this play out?

This is possibly the last week of Australia owning all five of its Super Rugby teams, the last week that — heaven help us — Australian rugby is in as good a shape as it is now.

At the moment, all the dominoes are lined up and will fall in a prearranged sequence. First, the broadcasters will record their verdict on the proposed new SANZAAR format for Super Rugby — 15 teams, three conferences of five, South Africa to lose two teams, Australia one; and Argentina and Japan, the newest additions to the competition, sailing high and dry because those in power see benefit in keeping them.

Then it is the turn of the South African general assembly, meeting on April 6. No doubt, there will be internal squabbles over which teams should go but the advice is that South African Rugby has the numbers to ditch the Cheetahs and the Southern Kings. Perhaps there will be some who will scoff at the Cheetahs, whose president Harold Verster came out two weeks ago and vowed that his club would be safe. I might even have been one of them. Now, regrettably, I see him in a different light, as a man who would do anything to protect the club he loves.

If the SA votes goes as intended, and the broadcasters do as SANZAAR desperately hopes they will do, then it becomes *Australia’s turn. It falls only to the ARU, its board, its chairman *Cameron Clyne and its CEO, Bill Pulver, to flick their collective middle finger and one Australian club will topple over in its turn, as it was always intended.

There is all manner of lip-*service and equivocating going on, but at the end of the day the axe will fall on the Western Force.

It was always the most vulnerable and isolated club. What the Force have been through in recent days gives you a new insight into how Western Australians see the east coast and in particular Sydney. They talk disparagingly about Sydney-centric decision-making, though mostly with a laugh. Not now. They dared to dream that they could carve out a place for themselves and while they operated at no cost to the ARU they were tolerated, but they were always viewed as outsiders.

They were, quite deliberately, given no assistance by the ARU to get themselves up and running and had to turn to the WA government for a $2 million loan. They paid it back within two years. For a while, the good times rolled but when the boom went bust and the money ran out, the ARU took it over. From that moment it was *always inevitable that, if a team had to go, it would be the Force.

Unless the domino doesn’t fall.

No one wants it to, not even the ARU. But the Force have become “unsustainable”, a problem readily fixed if the broadcasters continue to pay the same amount for a lesser product, which means that money that is currently spread five ways would instead be divided into four.

Pulver’s ability to sell this difficult scenario will be the test of his administration. Indeed, it will be the making or breaking of it. All Australian rugby ever demanded of him was strong leadership. If he makes the difficult decision to *jettison the Force and convinces the board that it is the best way to go, then, surely, whatever else he has done, he has provided strong leadership.

Now that the Force have been targeted, the rank and file of Australian rugby have formed behind them. It would be churlish perhaps to recall how many of them advocated for the Western Force to become the Western Sydney Force because, heaven knows, having three Super Rugby teams within three hours of each other was just what Australian rugby needed.

Still, now they have seen the light, they are right behind the club and the Rugby Union Players Association’s “Stronger as Five” campaign. A petition is about the limit of what RUPA can do to influence the fight. Talks of strikes or boycotts are hollow, indeed empty threats. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement with the ARU, the players are banned from striking for the duration of the CBA, which expires on December 31. Does anyone seriously believe that RUPA would organise a strike next year when the dust has settled, particularly with a swollen labour market after 35 players have been dispersed around the other four franchises?

Pulver is particularly vulnerable on the subject of what teams will make up this new version of Super 15. To prioritise the survival of the Jaguares and the Sunwolves ahead of the Force will be portrayed as betraying Australia’s interests — no matter how persuasive the argument that the growth in those two countries will help Super Rugby in the long term.

The sensible option would be to not let the domino fall, as Australia is entitled to do. As a joint venture partner in SANZAAR, it has the power of veto. But that then brings into play an entirely new and *menacing set of circumstances.

By agreeing in-principle to cut a team if circumstances worked out, Australia fell in with its SANZAAR partners, in particular NZ and SA. If Australia reneges on that agreement, there could be all manner if repercussions, including the dissolution of SANZAAR. Australians might raise a cheer at that but, consider: there is no Rugby Championship without SANZAAR. And there is no *competition with NZ without SANZAAR. It’s all very well to *assume NZ will see the logic and align with Australia to form some sort of trans-Tasman series but, *remember, all this was worked out in some detail at the London meeting three weeks ago.

Admittedly, it is all very well for the Kiwis to talk so boldly considering they have no skin in the game of axing teams. But if Australia proves an unreliable ally, they could do the unthinkable and move ahead with South Africa, *Argentina and Japan.

This is what’s known, colloquially, as being between a rock and a hard place. It’s a time for strong leadership, whichever way the domino falls. Do Pulver and Clyne have what it takes?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...02ce0268f6c516

Champion
    vCash
    I don't understand how these articles keep appearing! Where does this information come from? I would have thought these negotiations would be done confidentially.. Sounds so easy to just get rid of us and fix super rugby.. seriously mad as hell about this whole situation.. On another point impressed with the match so far..

vCash
    I wonder if this is an indicator as to why SA are so willing to cut the Kings? Or why they are confident the ANC would allow it?

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/former-kings-boss-arrested/

Former Eastern Province Rugby Union (EPRU) president Cheeky Watson has been arrested on charges of fraud or corruption according to South African media reports.

According to the Herald LIVE website, Watson was arrested in Port Elizabeth on Friday by South Africa’s Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, the Hawks, along with Nadia Gerwel, Andrea Wessels, Mandisa Mkaza and Stephan Pretorius.

Their arrests are believed to be linked to the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’ Integrated Public Transport System (IPTS) funds of R200 million which was squandered.

Those arrested, will appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court later on Friday.

Watson resigned from his position as EPRU president at the end of last month. Under his leadership the EPRU suffered a financial crisis in 2015 during which the union were unable to pay its players’ salaries.

Prior to that, he faced several motions of no confidence after a R200m sponsorship which he promised for the EPRU’s Super Rugby franchise, the Kings, failed to materialise.

EPRU’s affairs were eventually placed into the administrative control of SA Rugby after the Port Elizabeth-based union was liquidated.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I don't understand how these articles keep appearing! Where does this information come from? I would have thought these negotiations would be done confidentially.. Sounds so easy to just get rid of us and fix super rugby.. seriously mad as hell about this whole situation.. On another point impressed with the match so far..
    Year after year.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Mick the Kick reckons unstructured rugby skills are paramount in the new, dark world of ABs dominance.

“My view is that we should have five teams,” Byrne told the Australian. “Why? Because we’re not watering down our talent, we’re not developing our talent. Every single player out there wants to be better and we’re not doing enough work to make them better.”

Byrne reckons Australia are stuck in a time warp of playing ruggers like it was played at the turn of the millennium.

“The structured game was *absolutely what killed the opposition [back then],” Byrne said. “We were smart. We manipulated defences and we got on with it. Now the game has got to the point where only 60 per cent is structured, while the other 40 per cent is unstructured.

“All around the country, I watch teams doing their lineouts, doing their lineout drives. But they’re not doing any plays in an unstructured environment.

“We need to upskill our players, get them into that 40 per cent part of the game. We’re scoring on the structured part of the game. We have plenty of players who can fill five teams and we have to find a way to keep five teams going.

“That’s where we’re going to get the development going and in four or five years we’ll have five teams that are competitive.”

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/mon...ugby-news-174/

vCash
    Western Force playing like they have a future -

WAYNE SMITH
    Senior sport writerBrisbane
    @WayneKeithSmith

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...ab27ec1a20e842

The art of an April Fools’ Day joke is surely that it has to be plausible. Crazy enough that when you hear it, you’re immediately thinking, “This can’t possibly be true”, but just feasible enough that you find yourself adding “….can it?”

Last Friday, I was handed what looked like a doozy ... the embattled Western Force, knowing that they are almost certainly doomed if SANZAAR goes ahead and reduces Super Rugby to 15 teams, presses ahead with a bid to raise the $5-10 million they had hoped to use to buy back their licence from the Australian Rugby Union.

But instead of wasting their time trying to persuade the ARU to change its mind, the Force divert the funds to buy the Melbourne Rebels from their private owners and then bring them to Perth where — surprise, surprise — they are rebranded the Western Force.

It wasn’t quite as elegant as the joke the BBC told its viewers in 1957 about the annual spaghetti harvest in Italy, with sweaty, happy labourers working in the field, collecting millions of strands of pasta. Still, those were simpler times, when the BBC could be trusted never to delude its viewers.

But the more I thought about the Force joke, the more I realised that it failed the April Fools’ Day test. It was altogether too plausible, too believable. And the weekend’s Super Rugby matches made it doubly so.

Where the Rebels were dreadful — no other word for it — in their match against the Highlanders in Dunedin on Friday night, the Force were brave and determined against the Blues in Auckland the following day. The contrast could not have been starker.

It reached the stage where Rebels flanker Jordie Reid and hooker James Hanson both stood on the sideline under no pressure, thereby taking the ball into touch. It was such an elementary error I couldn’t believe my eyes when two professional footballers, one of whom has played for Australia, were guilty of it — within two minutes of each other. I never expected to see such a mistake again at Super Rugby level and then, naturally, saw exactly the same thing the following night when Hurricanes lock Mark Abbott stepped into touch, with not a defender in sight, to ruin a try against the Reds.

All the things that coach Tony McGahan has worked so hard to engender in the Rebels squad, verve, energy, passion ... were missing. Most painful for us were the voices of the NZ television commentators. They’ll always be relied upon to tease the opposition but they are scrupulously fair and almost always encouraging. But they could not believe what they were seeing, a team playing with no enthusiasm. Frankly, they were mystified. Why play rugby if not with passion, they seemed to be asking? Why indeed.

Maybe the draw was to blame. It was the Rebels’ fifth match of the season and four of them had been against NZ opponents. Perhaps they felt there was no point trying, that they would be overrun in the end, whatever they did.

And then there was the Western Force, going into the match against the Blues on Australian rugby’s least favoured ground, Eden Park, and earning far more respect from the New Zealand crowd than many a Wallabies outfit over the years.

There was none from the print media, unfortunately, which dwelt on the fact that the Blues missed out on a bonus point. The New Zealand Herald wrote an entire match report that featured not one word of praise for the Force.

Like Queensland Reds coach Nick Stiles, Force boss Dave Wessels is not into courageous losses, but there was something stirring about watching a side under seeming sentence of death rise up and take the fight to the Blues with such spirit.

The Force played the match without Adam Coleman or Ben McCalman or Curtis Rona yet still they made the Blues battle for every point.

How I wish Ian Prior had managed to put a bit more elevation on that long cutout pass late in the game. Had it cleared the Blues winger, it would have been a try for certain for the Force and game on. Still, the Force kept coming and even then managed a try before time was up.

Under the circumstances, the April Fools’ Day joke would have bombed. Too close to the truth. Many a true word spoken in jest ... that type of thing. Weighing up the two performances, it looked as though the Rebels were the ones riding to the scaffold in the tumbrel, resigned to their fate, utterly broken in spirit. The Force were still full of fight.

Perhaps they know something. Perhaps the tide is turning.

Certainly, as decision day draws closer and officials are confronted with the enormity of what is being asked of them, enthusiasm for culling a team is beginning to wane. More and more people are speaking out in favour of retaining five teams but Wallabies assistant coach Mick Byrne’s quotes in The Weekend Australian in favour of retaining five teams were particularly telling: “We’re not watering down our talent, we’re not developing our talent.”

But even if ARU officials and board members hold their nerve and press for a reduction, the critical question remains: why on earth would Fox Sports agree to cut the competition without any compensation?

It makes no sense. Given that the Fox viewer numbers are down already this year, surely they would not be prepared to simply throw the Perth market away?

One wonders what advice the late Ian Frykberg would have been able to give the ARU and SANZAAR? He brokered every SANZAAR broadcast deal right up to the one where it so disastrously expanded to 18 teams and he surely would have come up with a solution that didn’t involve axing one of the Australian teams.

For their part, the Force haven’t “dogged” the fight. They’ve only beaten one side this season, the Reds, but they have taken the Waratahs, the Brumbies, the Crusaders and Blues to the limit. Indeed, they’ve shown more “cojones”, as Phil Kearns so colourfully put it, than the ARU.

And they’ll fight even more now that they have three matches in succession scheduled for NIB Stadium in Perth.

They’re no longer playing just for pride, to prove themselves. They’re playing for their future. Because, for the first time in weeks, they just might have one.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Jesus! A positive bit of press from Wayne Smith for once, am I dreaming, is this a late April's Fool? Like the NZ media not mentioning the Force, but likewise The Roar article on Rd 6 wrap-not even mentioning the Force either. What do you do when our own Aussie press are stabbing in the back?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Mick the Kick reckons unstructured rugby skills are paramount in the new, dark world of ABs dominance.

“My view is that we should have five teams,” Byrne told the Australian. “Why? Because we’re not watering down our talent, we’re not developing our talent. Every single player out there wants to be better and we’re not doing enough work to make them better.”

Byrne reckons Australia are stuck in a time warp of playing ruggers like it was played at the turn of the millennium.

“The structured game was *absolutely what killed the opposition [back then],” Byrne said. “We were smart. We manipulated defences and we got on with it. Now the game has got to the point where only 60 per cent is structured, while the other 40 per cent is unstructured.

“All around the country, I watch teams doing their lineouts, doing their lineout drives. But they’re not doing any plays in an unstructured environment.

“We need to upskill our players, get them into that 40 per cent part of the game. We’re scoring on the structured part of the game. We have plenty of players who can fill five teams and we have to find a way to keep five teams going.

“That’s where we’re going to get the development going and in four or five years we’ll have five teams that are competitive.”

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/mon...ugby-news-174/
    I think he is dead right

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Player
    vCash
    People Power was a significant factor in the fourth Super Rugby franchise being awarded to Perth and the creation of the Force. People Power can be a significant factor again through match day attendances at Force games and the Own the Force campaign. Great to see a couple of banners supporting the retention of the Force during the Blues game. C'mon people more of the same. Wear the colours, support the team, signs and banners in the crowd. Maybe time to think about bombarding ARU Board, Rugby blogs, Rugby press etc.... with messages of support for the Force. Waiting on the decision is the wrong strategy, we need to show our passion now!!!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Jesus! A positive bit of press from Wayne Smith for once, am I dreaming, is this a late April's Fool? Like the NZ media not mentioning the Force, but likewise The Roar article on Rd 6 wrap-not even mentioning the Force either. What do you do when our own Aussie press are stabbing in the back?
    To be fair to the roar:
    If the Rebels weren’t dropping good passes or firing bad ones, or unable to execute their set piece, Jordy Reid and James Hanson found a new way to turn the ball over, inattentively standing on the touchline. Dispiriting.

By contrast, the Force were far keener and better organised, and fully deserved the opening try to Richie Arnold. What odds his middle name is Potsie?

In the end, it was ‘happy days’ for the Blues, on the scoreboard at least, 24-15, although they won’t want to continue conceding slow starts. They got good impact off the bench, particularly from Akira Ioane, and Ihaia West again provided a spark that Piers Francis doesn’t have at flyhalf.

The Force is a vastly improved side on previous versions, as much in intent and watchability as anythin
    g. Dane Haylett-Petty had his best game of the season, and what a great sight lock Matt Philip was, still running his lungs out in the 78th minute. A little more self-belief and they appear to be on a path to seriously compete for the Australian conference.

Providing, of course, they are allowed to stay in the competition.

A word too for Japanese referee, Shuhei Kubo; calm, assured and accurate. Everything a referee should be
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/04/03...n-normal-four/

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political BS View Post
    People Power was a significant factor in the fourth Super Rugby franchise being awarded to Perth and the creation of the Force. People Power can be a significant factor again through match day attendances at Force games and the Own the Force campaign. Great to see a couple of banners supporting the retention of the Force during the Blues game. C'mon people more of the same. Wear the colours, support the team, signs and banners in the crowd. Maybe time to think about bombarding ARU Board, Rugby blogs, Rugby press etc.... with messages of support for the Force. Waiting on the decision is the wrong strategy, we need to show our passion now!!!
    and more in 3 days time when they open the OwnTheForce shares sales window.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    Lovely article on G&G from a sea of blue member.. sums up a lot our feelings i would say

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the embattled Western Force, knowing that they are almost certainly doomed if SANZAAR goes ahead and reduces Super Rugby to 15 teams, presses ahead with a bid to raise the $5-10 million they had hoped to use to buy back their licence from the Australian Rugby Union.

But instead of wasting their time trying to persuade the ARU to change its mind, the Force divert the funds to buy the Melbourne Rebels from their private owners and then bring them to Perth where — surprise, surprise — they are rebranded the Western Force.

Not as far out there as it would seem.

I'd be up for that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast