Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's Good News Week

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

It's Good News Week

So, another season starts this week, and the last trial matches were held last weekend.

The problem for us prophesysers is the paucity of information being disseminated by the clubs, the club faithful, and the big mouths.

A huge problem this year will be lack of numbers. I doubt there will be fourth grade competition, or at least one that will last the distance, and this is borne out, in my view, by the fact that as at last weekend no fixtures had come out for that grade.

Palmyra played two halves of first and second grade rugby against Associates on Saturday. Palmyra had about fifty hopefuls available, Soaks probably had 20 to cover both grades. Not saying they weren't quality players, the Soaks boys were, and they beat Pally in the first forty minutes four tries to one, and losing the second half one try to three, but it was hard to assess how good they really were, with Pally continually changing players and putting on fresh ones, and Soaks being basically restricted to those on the field. I can report though that Soaks have a very good fullback.

One last thing about Soaks, the twenty they had on Saturday were not the same twenty they played against Perth the weekend before. Against Pally they fielded a top side, the weekend before they fielded a bunch of willing social members.

The word I am hearing is that University is in a world of pain, Kalamunda are struggling, Perth shouldn't get too chuffed after their routing of Associates, as their standard wasn't impressive despite their win, that Wests will be nowhere near the power they were last season, that Wanneroo have indeed bought up big, that Joondalup have a bunch of UK imports, quality unknown, and that Nedlands and Cottesloe have had a mighty boost (again) from the Force, and will be the teams to beat.

I could be dead wrong of course. Like I said, the cards are being played close to the chest by all clubs, so if anyone has information in support or to the contrary, please post it here.

My informants are generally in the know though, and they report that a couple of clubs will be lucky to finish the season in the top grade, and a few more won't have the numbers for the other grades

A chance for a resurgent Rockingham/Mandurah or an ever hopeful Southern Lions? Or will next year see an eight team senior competition?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Neddies wont be fielding a Colts side this season and will be struggling for numbers im fourth grade. Uni have enough Colts to field 2 teams

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Neddies wont be fielding a Colts side this season and will be struggling for numbers im fourth grade. Uni have enough Colts to field 2 teams
    How come the numbers are so low?

vCash
    Who will replace Ruru this season? What about #10 - I heard the gun 10 was injured playing Baysie last week...

vCash
    Interesting to hear that big clubs are struggling with numbers. I went to a scratch match between Curtin and Mandurah and Curtin had 3 grades playing 2 versus Mandurah and Curtin's 3rd team played UWA. Mandurah looked a bit low on numbers but in saying that they travelled up to Curtin for a pre season game. It was the opposite last year when Curtin went to Mandurah for a pre season game and had only one and a bit team.

vCash
    Back in the day, clubs who could not field a colts' team could not play first grade.

This was overcome by a bodgie team of colts being gathered for the first game, and never to be seen again. This was considered "fielding a team" for the season.

Does this rule still apply, and if so, will it be be enforced within the spirit of the rules??

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Back in the day, clubs who could not field a colts' team could not play first grade.

This was overcome by a bodgie team of colts being gathered for the first game, and never to be seen again. This was considered "fielding a team" for the season.

Does this rule still apply, and if so, will it be be enforced within the spirit of the rules??
    Neddies bashing again Fulvio?

vCash
    Why not.....

Rookie
    vCash
    Cott v Paly - Not a bad time to play Pally as they are going to be the team to beat by all accounts. The Panasonic Wild palms have recruited heavily and will be tough to beat given the depth and quality they had in reserves last year. (Pally)
    Brothers v SOAKS - Brother seem to be on the right track and have invested in a bit of quality. Depth will always be the question, a strong start to the season is on the cards. (Brothers)
    Neddies v Scarbs - To many outs and new combinations need time to build. Some good ins are outweighed by the losses suffered by wests in the off season (Neddies)
    UWA v Kala - Kala to belt the Force 20's through pure physicality. Both teams looking to develop new sides, depth could be an issue. (Kala)
    Wanaroo v Baysie - could be a belter. Both sides seem to be on the up with some good work done in the off season. For me this might be the match of the round. (Wanaroo just).

Common thread seems to be if you have a tight five you are in a good position. Seems to be light on the ground across the comp this year. Too much biggest looser and low carb beers.

vCash
    Did I even mention Neddies?

Player
    vCash
    What about the neddies northern academy

vCash
    A huge problem this year will be lack of numbers. I doubt there will be fourth grade competition, or at least one that will last the distance, and this is borne out, in my view, by the fact that as at last weekend no fixtures had come out for that grade.
    Apparently not, I've been lectured there are millions of new registrations. Still can't get figures - it's a breach of privacy most probably.

vCash
    4th Grade numbers at Pally have picked up from 5 to 8.

Also saw DHP was down at Pally training last night working with some of the colts although he could have been on a recruiting mission for Cott...

vCash
    Any word on whether 4th grade is going ahead this week? There is a calendar up but 4ths were notably absent from the "Rugby WA Community" Facebook page's preview of this weekend's round.

Or is RugbyWA waiting to see if there is a flood of forfeits from around the grounds after Thursday training?

vCash

We just went past Guildford Grammar each Saturday morning on the way to the game and Shanghai'd any boarders dumb enough to venture outdoors. Or offered them free beer. Both ways worked

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast