Thread: Charles tempted by overseas offers

vCash

Charles tempted by overseas offers

Nick Taylor - The West Australian on May 19, 2016, 12:01 am

Western Force hooker Nathan Charles may have played his last game for the Super Rugby club as he considers lucrative European offers.

Charles, who has made a record 83 appearances as Force hooker, had been in talks with the Brumbies about replacing Wallabies skipper Stephen Moore, who is moving to the Reds. But that move fell through when the ACT club signed Saia Faingaa from Queensland.

“I have loved my time at the Force and I hope I haven’t played my last game for the club but I’m looking at all my options,” said Charles, who has battled cystic fibrosis since he was diagnosed at three months.

Charles, 27, has been frustrated by the length of negotiations.

“The Force is still an option but it’s a bit of a waiting game,” he said.

“We’re trying to be pro-active but I’ve got to make sure I have something rather than just sitting and waiting. I’ve never hidden the fact that at some stage in my career I would love to explore other opportunities.

“I’ve been injured so I’m not in the ideal position at the moment but I’d like to think that the time I’ve spent at the Force and the things I’ve done show them what I’m capable of.”

Charles had surgery after dislocating a shoulder in April but could return in July.

“It’s been tough but I’m well ahead of schedule,” he said. “I have no doubt in my capabilities of being able to bounce back but I have to put myself first. I have rushed back from injury before and it didn’t turn out the best.”

Chief executive Mark Sinderberry has written to Force members ahead of next week’s expected announcement that a deal has been reached with the Australian Rugby Union to secure the club’s future.

Sinderberry said the club and ARU chief executive Bill Pulver wanted the same outcome — for the Force to stay in Perth, to be competitive and for rugby to continue to grow in WA.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...erseas-offers/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    NOOOOoOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooO!

vCash
    Reading between the lines, does he sound frustrated about the negotiations with RugbyWA being so slow? Maybe a casualty of the franchise not being in a position to agree to much while the deal with the ARU is still being finalised?

If he does decide to head overseas, I wish him all the very best and thank him for all that he's given to the Force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Probably has more to do with him being injured during the past year or so and missing alot of game time. I'm guessing the offer from RugbyWA does not match the figure that Charles was expecting.

If he heads overseas good luck to him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 19-05-16 at 08:33.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, i haven't been overly impressed with him the last two seasons, and maybe it is time to milk the greener pastures.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    You would think that wherever he goes there will be a netball team close by!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    ...Maybe a casualty of the franchise not being in a position to agree to much while the deal with the ARU is still being finalised?...
    Or the ARU being more focused on making sure everyone else's list is sorted first...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Or the ARU being more focused on making sure everyone else's list is sorted first...?
    Cynic,

I was going with Alison's view of the situation. It seems pretty clear from Nick's article that the final deal with the ARU isn't stitched up yet, so negotiations will definitely be on hold until then. We can't even be sure he's got an offer to be upset with yet and that might be the biggest issue.

I guess he shares in our frustration over how long this is taking. The key question that is still on everybody's lips is "who will coach the Force next year?" and there is no point thinking about recruitment until that box is ticked.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    The key question that is still on everybody's lips is "who will coach the Force next year?" and there is no point thinking about recruitment until that box is ticked.
    You're just baiting me know aren't you, we all know it's got to be Tom Fearn

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    You would think that wherever he goes there will be a netball team close by!
    That means the UK then! Not sure they play ze netball in France. Or maybe Vez will take a break to raise a mini Charles or two ;-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Cynic,

I was going with Alison's view of the situation. It seems pretty clear from Nick's article that the final deal with the ARU isn't stitched up yet, so negotiations will definitely be on hold until then. We can't even be sure he's got an offer to be upset with yet and that might be the biggest issue.

I guess he shares in our frustration over how long this is taking. The key question that is still on everybody's lips is "who will coach the Force next year?" and there is no point thinking about recruitment until that box is ticked.
    Given that everything else that's been said by the media about the future of the Force seems to be a load of tosh, I suspect the info about Foley's future is too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Given that everything else that's been said by the media about the future of the Force seems to be a load of tosh, I suspect the info about Foley's future is too!
    I wouldn't be too sure about THAT! Sinderberry has indicated a review at the end of the season, I would think (at this stage) that review wouldn't be incredibly positive. That doesn't mean he'll be given the boot, but if he isn't, I would consider that much of the heat will wind up at the feet of the recruiting staff. As far as I can tell that would be Sinderberry himself. Now it might be my choice of industry, but I know none of the top managers in my industry would hesitate to throw Foley under the bus to save their own arses.

But possibly the ARU half of the deal might ensure sanity prevails (and then we just have to hope that their version of sanity agrees with ours)

C'mon the