Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Super Rugby - Round 2 Other games thread

  1. #46
    Champion Ralto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,226
    vCash
    5666650
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Things I learned from the tahs this week.

    The lions are the real deal, the tahs aren't.
    The 'tahs made the mistake a few teams make with the Lions - "we can go toe to toe with these jokers". The Lions gave up the chance for an early three point settler for a lineout, and this should have given the 'tahs food for thought. Filled with their own high expectations the 'tahs went punch for punch, and ran out of gas just after halftime. Looking forward to Lions Force, and decisions Wessels makes.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #47
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    114
    vCash
    5014000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Given that the only information I get about the base of rugby in WA, is from the community rugby powers on this site, I'd say it looks like a cancerous, growth and nothing will save it, now I'm sure that's probably not the case, in just letting you know the view from the outside. however losing the pathway to higher representation will make it harder to recruit/retain good juniors. So I'd think saving the force Is a way of worrying about the local comp.
    Gigs do you think the ARU will parachute 45 players into Perth for 6 months with 25 fringe players running around cones at the local park
    You are seriously in a world of your own

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #48
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    10,752
    vCash
    5338000
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    .....and you are an insider where exactly?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

  4. #49
    Veteran Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,370
    vCash
    5094000
    TWF Contributor! 141 Club Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    Gigs do you think the ARU will parachute 45 players into Perth for 6 months with 25 fringe players running around cones at the local park
    You are seriously in a world of your own
    I would have said that if the ARU has a problem with that, they might want to give RWA a bit more than $200k a year to run all levels of community rugby in the state...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #50
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    16,357
    vCash
    196424000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    Gigs do you think the ARU will parachute 45 players into Perth for 6 months with 25 fringe players running around cones at the local park
    You are seriously in a world of your own
    Are you related to sevenmile?

    All im saying is that the Force deserve to be spared from any cull that might be coming and this weekend has proven that.

    I'm also saying that if the Force leave, then fewer WA juniors will aspire to/be able to play rugby at a higher level than club rugby. This will cause more WA rugby junirs to decide to take contracts in the NRL and stay there.

    if Community rugby in the state is as bad as it looks based upon the comments of the "people in the know" on this site, and if community rugby is as supportive of the professional tier of the game as it appears in this forum, then I don't think the success or failure of the force will matter jack shit to the community arm of the game.

    I, however, think that most of the crap that flows around here is probably pointless trolling, misguided club loyalties and miscellaneous bullshit, because any organisation that is as inept, inbred, inequitable and inefficient as the one i hear about on these pages is not worth saving. Perhaps the Force SHOULD be the only rugby organisation in the state?

    But, of course, I hyperbolize. I try my best to stay out of community rugby's way on here now. I'd appreciate if you'd return the favour.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  6. #51
    Veteran Sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    3,510
    vCash
    1776000
    Dry July! 141 Club Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    what is with empty stadiums at almost every game? clearly SR is making the bulk of revenue off tv, not gate receipts. our attendances don't look so bad when you see so many empty seats in other matches.
    I think the reason for that may the placement of the TV cameras.

    Most stadia are aligned roughly north-south and the TV cameras are usually in the western stand, to reduce the likelihood of solar glare for afternoon/early evening games. This means that if there is a 'main' stand, it is usually to the west side. The stands at Allianz look similar, but actually aren't (the main entrance is behind the west stand, which also houses the changing rooms, etc), and the west stand at GIO (Canberra) is definitely larger than the east stand. Both stadia have more people seated in the west side, either because of better facilities in the 'main' stand, or simply to also avoid the sun. So for both these stadia the TV cameras look over the pitch onto a more empty stand than the one they are filming from.

    Suncorp and AAMI Park have stands on either side of the field that are almost identical, and do seem to have more even placement of crowds; possibly the stadia rooves are protecting the spectators, and possibly the facilities are spread evenly.

    From a quick look at the Super Rugby stadia from Google Earth, most stadia fall into either symmetrical stadia or with a main west stand.

    At Nib, the TV cameras are in the crappy old west stand, whilst the majority of the spectators sit in the new, large, east stand (and get the sun in their eyes for the first ~30 minutes of the Reds game!) So TV cameras for our games look onto a large, stand with plenty of people in it. If they replaced the west stand with a carbon-copy of the east stand (but with changing rooms, TV cameras, better facilities, etc) I think a lot of people would re-locate there and our east stand would also look sparse.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

  7. #52
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    gosnells
    Posts
    369
    vCash
    5074000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Are you related to sevenmile?

    All im saying is that the Force deserve to be spared from any cull that might be coming and this weekend has proven that.

    I'm also saying that if the Force leave, then fewer WA juniors will aspire to/be able to play rugby at a higher level than club rugby. This will cause more WA rugby junirs to decide to take contracts in the NRL and stay there.

    if Community rugby in the state is as bad as it looks based upon the comments of the "people in the know" on this site, and if community rugby is as supportive of the professional tier of the game as it appears in this forum, then I don't think the success or failure of the force will matter jack shit to the community arm of the game.

    I, however, think that most of the crap that flows around here is probably pointless trolling, misguided club loyalties and miscellaneous bullshit, because any organisation that is as inept, inbred, inequitable and inefficient as the one i hear about on these pages is not worth saving. Perhaps the Force SHOULD be the only rugby organisation in the state?

    But, of course, I hyperbolize. I try my best to stay out of community rugby's way on here now. I'd appreciate if you'd return the favour.
    Thanks for the invite gigsey
    I have stayed off your turf but feel you have invited me into the post and by the way thanks for your PM it moved me to tears
    I can see both sides of your argument or should I say opinions I don't see anything negative from insider but based on the nrl experience in the nineties rugby should look learn and listen, a vibrant and robust comp before they arrived destroyed by the arrival of western reds what a pathway that turned out to be and do we see a vibrant league comp now not as it used to be but some may argue
    Since the arrival of the force what has been happening to community rugby and as the nrl decided the game doesn't fit into an afl town and they are still reluctant to give a lisence to WA even though the proper gander machine rolls on
    The force must do more than win week in week out to remain the stands need to be full 20,000 plus each home game win or loose as it is money that will keep them here it is a business and targets must be met
    Do the sun wolves belong no way but with the World Cup and the money that will be put into them they will play on so unless the ARU gets rid of the NSW insetuish board rugby in the west is running out of time enjoy a more competitive team and get more people to the park otherwise you will be part of history
    Now back to my community rugby threads and leave you good force people in peace
    Off to the corfield tav for a beer and jerkie and to play my favourite song James Taylor just call out my name whenever your down and I'll be there gigsey and don't PM me any more it's a little creepy

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #53
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    16,357
    vCash
    196424000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Message received the first time 7M I'm sorry my PM has toyed on your mind so badly.

    I didn't mean to hurt you, but sometimes these things happen hey!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  9. #54
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    10,752
    vCash
    5338000
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    You shouldn't push history around to suit your argument sevenmile. While you are right about the robust WA Rugby League comp through the 80's and early 90's, you are off the mark blaming the arrival of the Reds for it's not so successful years since. The Reds were a victim of the Super League war and that was more due to the over eager people who put the bid together. They exaggerated the junior development regime, did not have as much finance behind them as they said and in a desperate bid to get the nod, even agreed to pay the travel expenses of their opposition. They were virtually trading insolvent from the get-go. Still the franchise was not wound up due to it's performance but transferred to Melbourne as a reward to John Ribot for pulling the whole thing off. In fact during their short life the improvement in WA teenage team performance was remarkable.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Super Rugby 2017 - Round 1
    By Ravi in forum TAB
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-02-17, 10:53
  2. Super Rugby - Round 18
    By jargan83 in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-07-14, 21:44
  3. Super Rugby 2013 Round 5
    By Ravi in forum TAB
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-03-13, 08:24
  4. Super Rugby 2013 Round 3
    By Ravi in forum TAB
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-13, 08:44
  5. Super Rugby - Round 16
    By travelling_gerry in forum TAB
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-12, 13:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •