Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Italy Identify Loophole in Rugby Laws vs England

vCash

Italy Identify Loophole in Rugby Laws vs England

What do you think of this one?

Could this change the structure of the game as we know it? Or is it easily remedied by picking'n'driving straight over the middle?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 01-03-17 at 01:28.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Chiefs did it a couple of years ago.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-chiefs-...13507-Mar2015/

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I believe that loophole needs to be removed ASAP. Pick n drive could work but if your backline is your strength they wont see much of the ball. I find that tactic used by the Italians to be against the spirit of the game and makes the game look very unstructured.
    p.s I am not English or support them in anyways!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    I find that tactic used by the Italians to be against the spirit of the game and makes the game look very unstructured.
    As pointed out on Fox last night, England's problem - especially under Jones, is that THEY are too structured. An opposition coach could just adjust. High paced pick and drive, break them up the middle and see if the defence can adjust as quickly. I would not like to see the law changed to something where one player over the ball is called a ruck.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I disagree Shasta, can't you see all the Italians just behind the tackle area, comes to pretty much the same as a normal ruck and hence the pick and drive would be as useful as it is under normal circumstances.
    It is hard enough for teams to make viewers happy by scoring tries through beautiful running rugby, now let's get bored watching that type of shi*t.
    World rugby is trying to expand the game and not lose people who would be very unhappy to watch team play like Italy did.

vCash
    Making the laws complex will drive people away ... I completely disagree, everyone now knows the tactic so can devise all manners of strategies to employ, diffuse and defend. It may bring a return to the Maul expertise but at this stage of development, may well result in some serious training in off loads.

It's a new paradigm to the game so let's get on with it. Comments of negativity like the brain snap of Matt Dawson drive players and spectators away, not clever tactics ... no wonder he went into TV and coaching !

vCash
    There's a counterproductive mentality with rugby that whenever there is something we don't like, they throw MORE laws at it. That's why rugby is such a mess to understand. Let's just see how it plays out.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Seriously would you consider closing that loophole as being a new rule?
    I really hope that this wont be adopted by a lot of teams now and I remain convinced that there are no easy ways to counter such tactics.
    If you keep picking up and driving and risk knocking the ball on, and also risk walking all over your own players and potentially injure them!

vCash
    if they make a change, someone will think of a way to exploit that anyway.
    where does it end?

vCash
    It worked for the Chiefs for about three weeks, then the opposition teams became aware of it and started to use it to their advantage.

The law talks about players from either team in contact over the ball on the floor.
    r and ran it forward, catching half the
    Some teams actively engaged the nearest Chiefs player into a ruck and then threw the ball directly at one of the players who had been put offside by that action, the player was either aware enough to know he needed to get out of the way and be behind the play, or not, giving away a penalty.

Other teams simply picked the ball up from any side of the tackled player and

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see how it is any different than when teams started standing off the line-out and then running around the maul. That was going to be the end of rugby too, but now it is just a recognised tactic and the maul set-up is better for it. Maybe the authorities would do better to recognise that it is a response to the blind eye turned to illegal behaviours and the attacking side removing the contest at the breakdown.

vCash
    I watched the game and Ref Poite said if the saw any English player pulling any of the Italians in to the tackle to create a ruck he would penalise them.
    Ventner and O Shea ran the ploy past the ref pre game

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    OK, so walk over the ball, pick it up from between your legs and start a maul.

Pick n drive straight at the smallest weedy back that is in front of you.

Not too hard to defeat the tactic if you can think on your feet, remember, the whole idea of the tactic is to put half your team in front of the ball to prepare for the pass. The solution is to not pass and then they all have to turn and chase.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Englands biggest problem was that they didnt know how to react to it.

The modern Rugby player has no knowledge of the laws of the game - but will whinge to a Referee every change they get.

If there are 6 players mingled in to the back line - good, That means there are 6 holes in the defensive pattern to exploit.

Eddie Jones is whinging about it publicly - but I can bet he is thinking about the next time someone pulls the same play his team has a response for it.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    OK, so walk over the ball, pick it up from between your legs and start a maul.
    Are you sure about that one?

You cant create a maul if there is noone from the opposition there to maul with you - thats called a truck and trailer and you will be penailised for that.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast