Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Force vs Tahs round 1 2017

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah - i thought Latu was definitely off his feet, i had just watched another game where apparently the refs were told if they are supporting their weight on their elbows, it is a penalty against the jackal.

case in point, Latu within 30s.

Skelton is looking much better. He has trimmed down and lost a bit of puppy fat. Never a fan of his, but it looks like he may be taking it more serious.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The game is up on you tube (illegally so I presume) and you can watch the first penalty as it is early on and it looks as though Latu's chest is resting on the tackled player and that's how he is able to get so low.

Then again it's up to referee to blow it if it's a penalty who was about a metre or so away, another referee could have blown it, if Ecky is around can he please clarify?

I was a little surprised our Captain didn't try pointing it out to ref or at least ask him to keep an eye on it.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Like Hoppers cheeky but very fair question to Sir when they were penalised right on the try line and he asked Sir "are we in front or behind on penalties" when he knew very well had had the lead in that department at that stage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    But I was impressed with how quickly he was told about the irrelevance of that question.

I thought the force were penalised early for being "messy" but the tahs were demonstrating a tactic.

C'mon the

vCash
    Back from Sydney and caught up on the back-log of posts. My thoughts from the game:

It looked like before the game we asked the ref what he was going to concentrate on officiating for the night, and for the first 10 minutes then went ahead and did every one of them. Thereafter in the first half, I think we only gave away one more penalty.

The scrum did well, and not just when the Tahs had a man in the bin. It did get a bit messy later on when the subs started coming on and you had fresh players against tired, but when both front rows had been changed we still held our own.

The line-outs were poor with TPN at hooker, but weren't much better when Heath was there. The Tahs were excellent at disrupting our line-out all game; Mumm and Skelton are a great lock combination and Skelton finally looks like the player the Tahs have been saying he's been for the past 3 years. He's dropped some of the weight and added muscle.

For a back-row which is missing 2 stalwarts against a Wallaby captain-led unit, they held their own here, too. When Hodgo and Benny Mac come back it'll be difficult to decide who to drop.

I think this was Louwrens first start, against an established Wallaby, and I certainly wouldn't swap the two. Lance had a good game, but saw too little of the ball, and the centres and outside backs even less of it. The drizzle made ball handling difficult and the second half became a kicking lottery.

Our tactics in the second half were either wrong, or poorly executed. We rarely got the ball out of our half, and when we did we made too many mistakes. I'd have preferred to see us try and run the ball more, but we dropped so much ball, I can understand why the players kicked instead.

Meakes looked a little excited, hopefully he'll calm down; and he and Rona did seem to click in the little we saw of them. More ball and dryer hands could see our centres as a real attacking threat. Peni and Morahan did nothing much wrong, just didn't see enough ball, while DHP saw too much of it, usually coming down his throat. A better kick-chase from the backs would be good - too often we put no pressure on the receiver.

Very poor crowd; haven't been able to find any attendance numbers, but it didn't look like it was over 10,000. And the Tahs crowds were their usual noisy self - started making noise in the 78th minute when Robinson lined up to take that final kick.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

Very poor crowd; haven't been able to find any attendance numbers, but it didn't look like it was over 10,000. And the Tahs crowds were their usual noisy self - started making noise in the 78th minute when Robinson lined up to take that final kick.
    Thanks Shiekh, do you mean to say there was till a crowd there at 78th minute, or was all that noise coming from the car park

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Well, the Tahs were ahead, and the crowd was small enough that there wasn't a problem getting out of the stadium, so there was no need for them to leave early

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Ruck Involvements - Waratahs v Force

Remember:
    1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
    2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
    3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

Name:  2017-03-04_11-59-10.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  2017-03-04_11-59-49.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  184.6 KB

Name:  2017-03-04_12-00-21.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  2017-03-04_12-00-42.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  2017-03-04_12-01-07.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  23.2 KB

Tight 5 left too much work for the Back Row and Backs.
    Pleasing to see the improvement against the Reds.

Bill Meakes the most involved Back by a considerable margin.
    This ruck involvement we can take as a given.
    Would like to see more of his offensive game but conditions have not been ideal.

vCash
    Name:  2017-03-04_20-09-40.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  29.7 KB

The Waratahs showed little interest in getting involved in Defence Rucks - standing off 55% of the D Rucks.

The Force had 1 or 2 players putting pressure on the Tahs' ball carriers 80% of the time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8