Thread: Force star Haylett-Petty on how Test wait paid off

vCash

Force star Haylett-Petty on how Test wait paid off

Great article on Dane and rugby in Perth:

Not every player’s route to international rugby follows the same path, and how true that is for Dane Haylett-Petty.

The 27-year-old was one of a number of new faces introduced by Michael Cheika last year but few adapted as smoothly to the rise in standard that comes with playing international rugby for the first time.

Then again, Haylett-Petty showed up to his first Wallaby training camp ahead of the series with England having patiently waited for nine years to get a chance, learning the game in France and Japan before returning to Perth. Looking back now, the gamble paid off.

“It was a long grind. I’ve been playing since I was 18, so had nine years of trying to achieve that goal of pulling on a Wallabies jersey,” Haylett-Petty told Planet Rugby.

“It meant a lot, as it must do with everyone pulling on their country’s jersey. Having had that goal, with ups and downs when there were times when I thought I was going really well or that I wasn’t going to get there, it was amazing to finally do it.

“You always want one cap, but once you get one you want to see how many you can get and how well you can do.”

His move from the Force to Biarritz is still an eyebrow-raising one, leaving Australia behind at the age of 21, until the reasons behind the switch from Super Rugby to the Top 14 are explained.

Haylett-Petty found himself waiting for a chance that wasn’t coming, so he did something about it, teaming up with household names in Dimitri Yachvili and Imanol Harinordoquy in the south of France.

“I was stuck behind a lot of Wallaby stars; Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, Ryan Cross, all in our back three. So I spent a lot of time training and not a lot of time playing,” he explains.

“I was ready for a change and in Europe you play so many games there was a chance to get a go.

“I went over to Biarritz not really knowing what to expect, and probably not thinking about it too much until I was in a foreign country, didn’t speak the language, didn’t know anybody at the age of 21.

“It was a bit scary once I got there but it was an amazing experience, great for my rugby, learning from so many stars and we had a great team, lots of guys playing international rugby. I played a lot of footy, which you need when you’re young, so it turned out to be a good move.

“Playing a different style probably rounded out my game, made me a bit more comfortable. When it rains now in Super Rugby I’m not bothered.”

More often than not the Western Australia franchise are one of the first names mentioned when it comes to suggestions of how to trim down Super Rugby’s ever-expanding shape.

Unsurprisingly Haylett-Petty disagrees, and with a number of credible reasons why the Force deserve their place. Those discussions however are not being ignored by the players either.

“For the first time we have had to take note because SANZAAR have relooked at the competition. There have been positives with sponsors jumping on board and good signings, so we do feel like we are building,” he states.

“Although no doubt we have underperformed. In a lot of years, we could have done well but lost tight games. Now we have a squad with good talent and experience to convert those close losses into wins.

“If they were to reduce the competition, we feel like we have a better case than quite a lot of teams.

There is a great market in Perth for rugby and a lot of support. We have a few challenges over in the west away from everyone else, but it gives us motivation.

“With the Australian market, we are in an AFL state, and we are one of the most travelled teams in world sport which is one of the issues.

“I suppose there are a whole host of issues, with other teams having bigger budgets and so on. It is not always ideal, but from our point of view there is no point making excuses.”

An undoubted positive for the Force however is having Haylett-Petty leading the charge going into 2017.

Considering that prior to last year Haylett-Petty had not even been part of a Wallabies training camp, let alone pushing for a start, the fact that he started all of Australia’s 14 Tests highlights not only Cheika’s faith in his performances, but how swiftly he adapted to playing at the top.

Which makes the big question, what changed in his approach?

“Over the last two years I have focussed a lot on the mental side, which doesn’t get enough attention,” he added.

“Most players and teams focus so much on small percentages from the physical and skills side. But working with the psychologists I made huge gains over the last two years.

“It set me up to perform at international level and made me feel like I had the tools to do my job. That was the biggest thing that changed from previous years when I was inconsistent.

“I felt like on certain days I was at the level to take the next step, but on others I wasn’t. It was the consistency that I focussed on. Taking positives one week and trying to grow into the next.

“When I was younger I didn’t quite have the tools to deal with the ups and downs of each week. Now I do.”

Whatever challenges the Force face this year, and there are bound to be many with those sceptical of their future in the competition monitoring their progress, Haylett-Petty’s perseverance has set an example to follow.

The more Force players that can follow his lead the better

Planet Rugby

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    The West also reporting today that Dane's re-signing is close at hand and may even be today.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Expect some news about DHP extending his contract with ARU/Force later today

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Dane Haylett-Petty Re-Signs Until End of 2019

By David Berrie on Tue 21st February 17

The Road Safety Western Force today announced the re-signing of star fullback Dane Haylett-Petty until the end of the 2019 season.

Haylett-Petty had a remarkable 2016 season, taking out the Nathan Sharpe medal for the most valuable player, made his Wallabies debut and played a further 13 caps and took out the Wallaby Rookie of the Year Award.

The 27-year-old says he is thrilled to stay in the West and admits that the green and gold jersey helped make his decision.

“I’m very excited to be staying home and playing for the Force, obviously the draw card of trying to get back into that Wallabies team was a large part of my decision,” he said.

“I really enjoyed last year, the challenges week in and week out, watching my game grow and the Force were a big part of that and I feel like we’re really heading in the right direction and we have a great group of young men with a bright future.”

Haylett-Petty says the work going on off the field in the organisation was a big contributor to his decision.

“I think other parts of the club are heading in the right direction too, with a great sponsor on board (Road Safety Commission) and the fans really showing their support for the team with the ‘Own the Force’ initiative.

“So, it’s really exciting times here in the West, and I’m much happier playing at home with my friends and family in beautiful, sunny Perth.”

Road Safety Western Force Head Coach Dave Wessels says the signing of Haylett-Petty is fantastic news for the team and commends his decision to stay in Western Australia.

“This is fantastic news for Australian Rugby and the club too,” he said. “Importantly for us is that Dane is a local player and everybody in Western Australia is proud of what he achieved this year.

“Although, I think more than that with the club’s future in question for a player of his calibre to commit himself so publicly to us, just shows Dane’s character and how much he cares for this club and wants to see it succeed.”

Haylett-Petty is set to line up against the NSW Waratahs in Round One of the Vodaphone Super Rugby competition on Saturday, 25 February.

Dane Haylett-Petty Profile:

Height: 190cm
    Weight: 100kg
    Date of Birth: 18/06/1989
    Place of Birth: Durban, South Africa
    Nickname: DHP

Rugby Career
    Juniors: Cottesloe
    School: Hale School
    Senior Club: Cottesloe
    Western Force Player #: 49
    Super Rugby Debut: 2008 v Chiefs, Perth

Representative Honours
    2007: Australian ‘A’ Schoolboys
    2007-2008: Australian Sevens
    2008-2009: Australian Under 20s
    2016: Wallabies

Career Statistics
    Western Force: Caps 43 Points 30 (6t)
    Super Rugby: Caps 43 Points 30 (6t)
    Tests: Caps 14 Points 20 (4t)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...until-end-2019

vCash
    He is the first to sign beyond 2018

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Even Ian Payton is calling it a huge statement of support in the Franchise, thank you Dane.

We need to keep believing

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks Dane, a huge vote of confidence in the Force and WA Rugby. You epitomise why we support Rugby here in WA.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Thats great news. Thanks Dane!

vCash
    Very clever move by Dane, if he's negotiated his contract correctly he opens up the possibility of suing for breach of contract if the force fold, might cost the ARU enough to actually argue our case if enough good Players do the same thing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Very clever move by Dane, if he's negotiated his contract correctly he opens up the possibility of suing for breach of contract if the force fold, might cost the ARU enough to actually argue our case if enough good Players do the same thing.
    I'm sure it's covered in the "fine print" GIGS

vCash
    I HOPE it's covered n the fine print.

I'd also be looking for the right to break his ARU contract if the force move away from Perth.

Who would want to be forced to play their rugby in a western Sydney start up franchise?

C'mon the