Thread: Wallabies coach Michael Cheika predicts improved Western Force outfit

Senior Player
    vCash

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika predicts improved Western Force outfit

Nick Taylor
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 3:49PM

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika is confident Western Force will be a big mover and shaker in this season’s Super Rugby competition.
    The Force will be desperate to improve on last year’s two wins and third-bottom finish, and Cheika believes a much-improved side will be on display in Saturday’s season opener against the Waratahs in Sydney.
    “I believe they are going to have a good season,” Cheika said.
    “I can see it in their attitude and that’s coming from good energy from coaching and leadership.
    “That will pay off, I’m sure.
    “It’s not going to go perfectly but I believe there is going to be a lot of positive things coming out of that team on the footy field.”
    Cheika was impressed with the Force’s style and commitment under new coach Dave Wessels in the 27-5 pre-season trial win over Melbourne Rebels.
    “They were playing with a lot more ball involvement. You can see they’ve had a big focus on that,” he said.
    “Obviously Dave’s an excellent defensive coach but they have a young attacking coach (Shaun Berne) who is looking to put his stamp on the game.”
    “You can see a lot of enthusiasm and energy coming out in the players and that comes from the coaches.
    “You’re not always going to win, things are not always going to go your way, but if they can bring everything together at the same time, step up and take opportunities, they are going to have a good season.”
    The Force will start with a new-look backline that includes centre Billy Meakes, who has returned from English heavyweight Gloucester, and former NRL try-scoring machine Curtis Rona. Another code-hopper, Chance Peni, will be pushing for his debut.
    “They are well prepared having come over from league, and they should play without fear once the competition points are on the line,” Cheika said. “In the trial they tried to make the most of every opportunity they were given. Curtis was strong and ran with pace, Chance Peni had good footwork and support play.
    “The more they get a handle on the game the better they will be. They need to go out and enjoy it. They are the kind of guys who can make things out of nothing.
    “Meakes has benefited from his European experience where you have to be more direct, carry the ball and be strong in the tackle, but in the trial he was also ball playing, taking the line and dropping balls off inside outside.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wallabi...-ng-b88391515z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    This is what I saw at the deli this morning. Just found it on the west and perthnow

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!