Thread: Power to on-field referees in TMO changes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Power to on-field referees in TMO changes

Today at 2:48 PM
    by Beth Newman

SANZAAR has handed reponsibility back to on-field referees, in the announcement of a new TMO policy on Friday.

Super Rugby’s governing body has modified the process of reviewing incidents in game, with on-field referees now required to give their decision to the TMO before review.

Previously referees weren’t able to give an initial decision to the video official, a policy that created plenty of grey areas.

The new process is similar to that of other sports and means that conclusive evidence must be found to overturn an initial decision.

An exception to this is when reviewing foul play, with officials able to go back unlimited phases and refer the incident without a call.

All other issues must be looked at within two phases of occurring, in the interest of expedience.

SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos said the new video process would streamline some of the confusion of years gone by.

“The general consensus is that with the new technology and the protocol of a definitive "on-field call", time is saved and the awkward conversation between referee and TMO that occurs from time to time is eliminated,” he said.

“SANZAAR is confident this will enhance the fan’s match experience. This also aligns our sport’s process with that of almost all the other high performance sports, which use a television replay protocol.”

“In summary, this protocol change makes the process clean and efficient and places accountability for an “on-field call” in the hands of the referee and a review of that decision in the hands of the TMO."

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/02...aar-tmo-review

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I swear I've heard this before somewhere...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I swear I've heard this before somewhere...
    ....and what a series of howlers that became. Sheer pig headedness by the authorities demanded a decision IN EVERY INSTANCE, whether the referee is unsighted or not - for the benefit of non-Mungos.

The critical point is whether the referee can still say "I did'nt have a view of grounding. Try or no try, please."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Bloody Mungos

vCash
    [QUOTE=shasta;423036
    The critical point is whether the referee can still say "I did'nt have a view of grounding. Try or no try, please."[/QUOTE]

In that case the referee should simply say no try as he did not see it! Then the TMO can reverse it if there is conclusive grounding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    In that case the referee should simply say no try as he did not see it! Then the TMO can reverse it if there is conclusive grounding.
    I don't know how much NRL you watch. I'd guess not a lot though? Anyone who does would not think this process is so simple in practise.
    The main problem is the words "conclusive evidence" and the fact that the TMO can not reverse a decision without it. Even when everyone watching can see that the decision was almost certainly wrong.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    You are right Shasta, I very rarely watch League but don't mind watching it, just the Mrs always tells me that it is not my sport!
    But in this case it would not change much then as I am fairly sure that if the TMO could not see a proper grounding he would not award the try.

For me I believe that the solution would be to award a try if the ball has crossed the line, it would eliminate a lot of the time wasted with TMO decisions. I never understood why we have a rule in the open field where a tackler has to release the tackled player but that rule does not exist in the in goal area (Try box). Ready to be grilled on this one but this is my view!

vCash
    Let's get a Bunker

vCash
    I think, by the sound of it, there's a good reason why they put it in a bunker

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Bloody Mungos