Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FORCE NAME SIDE FOR REBELS TRIAL MATCH CLASH

Senior Player
    vCash

FORCE NAME SIDE FOR REBELS TRIAL MATCH CLASH

The Road Safety Western Force have announced a strong starting XV to take on the Melbourne Rebels at Bond University on the Gold Coast this Monday, 6 February.

The Force and Rebels will play four quarters, in which we will see the Western Force’s starting XV play for at least the first two quarters with a host of replacements to take the field to finish the match.

Road Safety Western Force Head Coach Dave ‘Blood’ Wessels says the trial match against the Rebels will be a good test leading into the Super Rugby season proper and gives the team an opportunity to put pre-season training out on the pitch.

“We’ll look to play our game, it’s all very well to do things in training against ourselves but as soon as there’s live contact some of the best laid plans go out the window.

“The Rebels don’t know how our game plan works and we don’t know how their game plan works, that provides us with a great opportunity to test ourselves.”

In the front row we will see the return of club stalwart Pek Cowan since injuring his arm in pre-season, alongside him will be club co-captain Heath Tessmann at hooker and young up-and-coming star Shambeckler Vui will pack down in the tighthead position.

In the locks new recruit Matt Philip will partner with WA local Ross Haylett-Petty, as they look to cement a position for Round One.

At blindside flanker, former Future Force Foundation product Kane Koteka will get an opportunity to impress after a strong showing in pre-season, while on the other side of the scrum fellow inaugural Future Force member Richard Hardwick will start at number seven. Hard running South African Brynard Stander rounds out the forward pack at No. 8.

The backline will look for quality service from their halves with Ryan Louwrens starting at scrumhalf and playmaker Jono Lance will be looking to lock in his starting spot in the flyhalf position.

New recruits Bill Meakes and Curtis Rona will line up at 12 and 13 respectively, and will definitely be a pairing to watch in the centre channel.

We’re sure to see fireworks from the back three, with former NRL recruit Chance Peni on the left wing, Wallaby Luke Morahan on the right wing and current Nathan Sharpe Medallist Dane Haylett-Petty starting at fullback.

With an extended bench named, we are expected to see the likes of Tatafu Polota-Nau, Peter Grant, Matt Hodgson, Future Force Foundation products James Verity-Amm, Mees Erasmus and Onehunga Havili and new recruits Robbie Coleman, Isi Naisarani, Alex Newsome and Michael Ruru.

The Western Force will clash with the Melbourne Rebels at 5:30pm (AEST) at Bond University, the match will not be live streamed, but the game will be tweeted live from the Western Force Twitter account and a full match report will be released post game.

Western Force v Melbourne Rebels
    Monday, 6 February at 5:30pm (3:30pm AWST)
    Bond University

1.Pek Cowan
    2.Heath Tessmann
    3.Shambeckler Vui
    4.Matt Philip
    5.Ross Haylett-Petty
    6.Kane Koteka
    7.Richard Hardwick
    8.Brynard Stander
    9.Ryan Louwrens
    10.Jono Lance
    11.Chance Peni
    12.Bill Meakes
    13.Curtis Rona
    14.Luke Morahan
    15.Dane Haylett-Petty

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    damn nightshift. I was looking forward to these trials before the 10s. got the cheifs and the bulls on thursday at ballymore as well.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder what the injury status of Tet Faulkner and Ben Matwijow are. Is Gus Cottrell out for the season?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    That's a pretty genuine starting team. Adam, hodgo, Benny mac, tets, and tpn would be likely (in some case only possible) starters over the ones named. I'd expect Robbie Coleman to be pencilled in if peni doesn't make the step up quick enough, but apart from that I don't know that there's anything better in the cupboard apart from out of the box thinking.

Havili might be a better option than Stander, but I'd reckon Benny mac has 8 sewn up anyway.

Brache might have a role to play, but I can't see where right now.

I hope Melbourne take up the challenge for at least a quarter and we can see whether we're a mile away or not.

C'mon the

vCash
    Numbers 10-15 is not a bad looking backline by any means. If we can develop some sort of playing system that gives them space and opportunity, should be an interesting season.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's a pretty genuine starting team. Adam, hodgo, Benny mac, tets, and tpn would be likely (in some case only possible) starters over the ones named. I'd expect Robbie Coleman to be pencilled in if peni doesn't make the step up quick enough, but apart from that I don't know that there's anything better in the cupboard apart from out of the box thinking.

Havili might be a better option than Stander, but I'd reckon Benny mac has 8 sewn up anyway.

Brache might have a role to play, but I can't see where right now.

I hope Melbourne take up the challenge for at least a quarter and we can see whether we're a mile away or not.
    yeah, given our history with the rebels, if we can match it against a real team from them i'll be a bit buoyed about our chances come start of season

vCash
    Looks a good side, but hope they get their game together better then last weekends scrabble. Any chance of the trial game being streamed?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Anyone know of anywhere to watch it?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Twitter updates only

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wonder what the injury status of Tet Faulkner and Ben Matwijow are. Is Gus Cottrell out for the season?
    Read in the west but can't find it online that Tet and Daley are good to go but Wessels doesn't want to rush them in.
    Ben Matwijow has gone for the season with a neck injury and has had surgery Gus has a slim chance of coming back towards the end of the year.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Read in the west but can't find it online that Tet and Daley are good to go but Wessels doesn't want to rush them in.
    Ben Matwijow has gone for the season with a neck injury and has had surgery Gus has a slim chance of coming back towards the end of the year.
    Unfortunate about Matwijow as I thought he could have made a really solid lock combination with Coleman. Still have Ross, Philip and Arnold so though so we do have back up. Good to hear Tet and Daley will be alright for the start of the season.

vCash

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    But not such good news about Ben MaC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is Gus Cottrell out for the season?
    Yes he is, sadly :-((

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    What's Gus' s injury- is it the one from last season still?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast