Thread: Scottish rugby team loses 172-0 as merciful referee ends the game 20 minutes early

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Scottish rugby team loses 172-0 as merciful referee ends the game 20 minutes early

Last updated 12:02, January 25 2017

The president of a Scottish rugby team that lost 172-0 said he was proud despite their humiliating defeat.

Blairgowrie RFC hammered the Howe of Fife 2nd XV in Division 2 of Scotland's Midlands League last Saturday, with the referee sparing the losing players further embarrassment by ending the game 20 minutes early.

Murdo Fraser, president of the Howe of Fife club, revealed they were three players short and 10 of the 12 who played were over 35.

"It was a big scoreline, but I'm very proud of the boys," he told the Daily Mirror.

The Howe of Fife 2nd XV had lost 107-0 two weeks earlier and were thrashed 99-0 in December.

But they have still managed to win five of their 13 games this season.

Injuries, call-ups to the first team and eight young players heading on a gap year meant the team was short on numbers, the Daily Mirror reported.

Fraser said their situation reflected serious issues rugby faced in Scotland.

"This match was a clear example of the struggle that clubs like Howe of Fife are having at this time," Fraser told the Daily Mirror.

"There is a serious lack of player numbers in junior rugby. It is a massive issue and one that the governing body needs to look at.

"All anyone is interested in is money. Clubs at our level lose so many players to the higher clubs where they get paid big wages.

"We find it increasingly hard to keep players but we refuse to go down the route of 'chequebook' rugby football."

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8...-minutes-early

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Last updated 12:02, January 25 2017

"We find it increasingly hard to keep players but we refuse to go down the route of 'chequebook' rugby football."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8...-minutes-early
    One way to make it into the international press I suppose ....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!