Thread: Polota-Nau’s injury a lucky break for Force

Senior Player
    vCash

Polota-Nau’s injury a lucky break for Force

Nick Taylor
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 6:09AM

A broken arm was not good news for Wallaby Tatafu Polota-Nau but it had a silver lining for Western Force who pulled off a major coup when they lured the veteran hooker for the coming season.
    The injury re-routed the 68-Test veteran’s planned move to Bristol and left the door open for negotiations with Force coach Dave Wessels.
    Polota-Nau had an operation on his broken right forearm in March last year​,​ having broken the same ​arm in 2013, but it never healed and after ignoring​ pain for several months while playing for Australia and the Waratahs he had more surgery.
    Moving to the Force from the Waratahs where he amassed 168 appearances in 10 seasons brings an added bonus for Australia as he will be available for Test selection.
    But he’s not thinking that far ahead just yet.
    “That’s all a bit distant. I’m just trying to get back to full health and back to what I know best. Good wholesome footy,” he said.
    “I definitely needed the seachange to shake things up but more importantly it doesn’t deter me from being the best I can be.
    “It’s not really a new beginning, more so a continuation of what I have learnt in my rugby career in a different location. I have a really good feeling here. There will be fierce competition for the starting spots.”
    Polota-Nau, said he was impressed with the Force pre-season and new coaching team of Wessels, Shaun Berne and Joe Barakat.
    “The biggest factor has been the intensity in training. It’s something that I’ve been used to with the Wallaby set-ups but to have it at the Force is quite impressive,” he said.
    “The coaches are great. You just listen to them and go out and perform. You just listen and do it.
    “We know what’s required. It’s getting everyone across the same page.”
    Polota-Nau, who is known for his kamikaze style of play, is also keen to impart his knowledge of the dark recesses of the scrum to the young Force front-rowers.
    “It is a very young front row and it’s great that I can pass some of my grey-haired wisdom onto them. Once we give the detail they embrace it,” he said.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88362197z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Met TPN for the first this week. What a top bloke. Loves his local club rugby.
    Play well big fella

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Heard he's been signed up by Palmyra.

Champion
    vCash
    You know, he's the sort of player that should not allocated but be some kind of ambassador (naff word I know but I couldn't think of anything better) to float around the clubs doing his work. He really does love his club rugby - just look what he did at Parra.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The impression I get from afar, and seemingly confirmed by wholetruth, is that he'd probably rather be part of a single local club. Likely to want one of the less 'silver spoon' options as well.

C'mon the

vCash
    I'm not so worried about his arm. It's his history with concussion that I'm apprehensive about.
    I appreciate he'll be an asset to the club but it's not worth him doing permernant damage to himself. I wonder if he should have given it away, or looked again for a spot in a less violent competition.