Thread: Eddie Jones suggests two Australian Super Rugby sides be cut

vCash

Eddie Jones suggests two Australian Super Rugby sides be cut

As SANZAAR continues to delay a decision on the future of Super Rugby, step up Eddie Jones. England's coach has delivered a typically blunt assessment of Australian rugby, suggesting two teams should be cut.

After a shambolic season in which the Wallabies won six of 15 games, including three losses to the All Blacks, and no Australian team featured in the Super Rugby semi finals, Jones believes the answer is to cull the Western Force and Melbourne Rebels in order to strengthen the Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies.

While less teams mean less players exposed to top flight rugby, those that remain would be forced to scrap it out for starting roles.

With all parties unable to agree on Super Rugby's long-term future, SANZAAR have put off a decision on the structure beyond next year until March. Despite much resistance, the 18-team status quo is likely to be retained.

"The reason Australia wanted to have more than the three Super Ruby teams was to create extra depth so the immediate question that needs to be answered is have those two extra teams strengthened the Wallabies? If they have, then keep them. If they haven't, then they've got to look at whether they should persevere with them or not," Jones said.

In the modern area decisions are made with broadcast deals and financial concerns often placed above on-field results. But with the likes of Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Giteau and Will Genia among Wallabies now plying their trade overseas, Jones remains adamant Australia must adopt a pragmatic approach.

Australian plan: Eddie Jones thinks the Melbourne Rebels and Western Force should be axed from Super Rugby for the ...
    Australian plan: Eddie Jones thinks the Melbourne Rebels and Western Force should be axed from Super Rugby for the betterment of the Wallabies.
    "As a coach I don't get paid to work out the contracts but that's very much part of the equation.

"I've always said Australia is best to have the three teams and the best players playing with each other. That creates hot competition to get into Super Rugby and adds extra to everything that happens in Australian rugby. The Force and the Rebels have done some good things but I don't think it's added considerably to Australian rugby at the moment. They've got to really question whether they continue with them."

Jones is committed to England through to 2019 but post World Cup the 56-year-old reiterated his intention to move elsewhere.

"I'll come to New Zealand mate; I'm waiting for the offer," he laughed.

"I reckon I've probably got one more job left in me. All things being equal and people wanting to give me an opportunity I'd like to coach again after the World Cup. You either go to an established country that needs some help or a tier two country like I did with Japan and try to do something a bit different. Both of those are absolutely rewarding. I'll just wait and see what happens."

Jones was a key consultant ahead of the inaugural Brisbane 10s next year, and is confident the tournament will prove a long-term success.

"I really think the 10s is a great concept because it allows a different sort of rugby. It's basically entertainment rugby and it involves the best players in XVs, where sevens has become a completely different game with different players. That was evident at the Olympics. The 10s retains enough shape of XVs to allow those guys to flourish.

"It's a great way to start a season and gets everyone excited about rugby. You'll see plenty of good attack and desperation on defence."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/eddie-jones-calls-for-australian-rugby-to-axe-two-super-rugby-teams-20161224-gthm2u.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yawn

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    WANKER

Rookie
    vCash
    deformed little fuck

vCash
    I for one agree with Eddie, when you look at what the waratah are able to do with a list of current wallabies, it's obvious that the force and the rebels should give their best players to Queensland.

Without the force, there would be no Dane Haylett-Petty or Adam Coleman. Without the Rebels there would be no Reece Hodge.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "Eddie Jones suggests two Australian Super Rugby sides be cut"

"Rugby supporters suggest Eddie Jones should STFU"

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Player
    vCash
    Only trying to help his own cause as usual.

Good coach but so self centred, will never last long in any gig he takes on because of that fundamental personality flaw.

Common Sense says dropping to 3 Super Rugby Franchises will only weaken the Wallabies depth for selection leading to the 2019 World Cup.
    This will ultimately lead to a weakened Wallabies.

A weakened Wallabies leading into the 2019 World Cup only helps his England cause.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Only trying to help his own cause as usual.

Good coach but so self centred, will never last long in any gig he takes on because of that fundamental personality flaw.

Common Sense says dropping to 3 Super Rugby Franchises will only weaken the Wallabies depth for selection leading to the 2019 World Cup.
    This will ultimately lead to a weakened Wallabies.

A weakened Wallabies leading into the 2019 World Cup only helps his England cause.
    Indeed. Jones calling for Australia to drop 2 Super Rugby franchises is akin to Steve Hansen suggesting the Wallabies best chance of beating the All Blacks is to play locks on the wing and James O'Connor at tighthead

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Steve Hansen suggesting the Wallabies best chance of beating the All Blacks is to play locks on the wing and James O'Connor at tighthead
    Steve Hansen knows he doesn't need to do that. Cheika is renowned for playing people out of position. A centre at flanker, a centre at fullback, a fullback at wing an openside at number 8.its only a matter of time before he starts looking for more mobility out of his front row and starts to consider playing yet another centre there

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Cheika is renowned for playing people out of position. A centre at flanker, a centre at fullback, a fullback at wing an openside at number 8.its only a matter of time before he starts looking for more mobility out of his front row and starts to consider playing yet another centre there
    Just a thought; Cheika knows he's not playing 7s, right?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder if Eddie was suggesting that England scrap two fifths of the premiership rugby clubs after they were knocked out during the pool stages of their own world cup?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Does he have an alternate passport? Can we cancel his Australian one on ideological grounds?