Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ashes Test Unlikely To Open New Perth Stadium

vCash

Ashes Test Unlikely To Open New Perth Stadium

The chances of an Ashes Test opening the new Perth Stadium appear to have been bowled over by the Barnett government's claims its pet project won't be finished in time.

Months of speculation has centred around which sport would open the 60,000 seat stadium at Burswood, which is nearing completion, but it now appears the Ashes is off the table.

After Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland met with WA Premier Colin Barnett in June, there were strong rumours an Ashes Test – believed to be played in Perth from December 14-18 next year – would open the $1.4 billion stadium.

Even last month, WACA CEO Christina Matthews said she was working with the Barnett government to get the stadium ready for the prestigious Australia and England Test match next December.

A Western Derby has been touted as the most likely event to open the stadium in 2018.

But WA Sports Minister Mia Davies squashed any hope of an Ashes test being the curtain raiser for the stadium saying it won't be ready in time.

"Construction of the stadium is currently over 65 per cent complete and remains on track to allow the venue to open, as scheduled, in time for the start of the 2018 AFL season," she said.

"At the moment the December date for the 2017 Ashes Test is before the expected date the Stadium will be ready.

"If there is an opportunity to get an event such as the Ashes to open the Stadium we would welcome it but not at the expense of design and construction quality or operational planning and efficiency."

A Socceroos friendly has been touted as a possible curtain raiser at the stadium.

Ms Davies wouldn't say which event would open the stadium but it is looking more likely a Western Derby will be the first event in early 2018.

Outgoing West Perth president Brett Raponi even flagged traditional WAFL rivals the Falcons and Royals should kick-start the stadium off with a Perth Derby.

But WAtoday understands Football Federation Australia hasn't given up hope of holding an international friendly at the Burswood site early in the new year.

"Whatever event opens the Stadium, it will be tremendous," Ms Davies said.

A spokesman for Cricket Australia said it had a strong "desire" to be the first sport to open the stadium.

Cricket Australia denied it had given the Barnett government a December "deadline" for when the stadium would be complete or the Ashes Test would be moved to the WACA.

"There's no firm deadline in place, we are in constant dialogue about progress of the construction," he said.

"Tickets to the series don't go on sale until May next year.

"If we get to a situation where it won't be completed in time we will host the series at the WACA.

"Our CEO is on record about our desire to be the first sport to host in the new stadium."

Australia and WA cricket legend Dennis Lillee bounced the Barnett government in his new autobiography claiming the overall cost will blow out to $2 billion.

"I believe the originally stated billion-dollar cost for the new Perth Stadium will at least double by the time it is complete," Lillee said.

"I also believe WA cricket cannot possibly keep the WACA and hire the new stadium as well as make the money necessary for grassroots cricket."

The fiery fast bowler quit as WACA president after 11 years in 2015 because he disagreed with the board's plans to move Tests to the new stadium at Burswood.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/wa-s...05-gt439u.html

Am i being too cynical here in thinking this is a preparation article for another capital works project in WA missing it's scheduled completion deadline?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

Am i being too cynical here in thinking this is a preparation article for another capital works project in WA missing it's scheduled completion deadline?
    The PCH will set a new record (about two years late) for delays, clearly surpassing The Arena. The PCH delays were very predictable two years ago, but they (John Holland) kept it very, very quiet.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    PCH?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Perth Children's Hospital

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Have to say, I had the same first thought. I wouldn't say it was beyond the realms of possibility that halfway through next year they could find they'd put asbestos in the place. I'd certainly be profoundly unsurprising if they discovered the place was contaminated, or the playing surface hosting dangerous pathogens. Both have happened before on reclaimed dump sites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    The PCH delays were very predictable two years ago, but they (John Holland) kept it very, very quiet.
    What makes you say that TIF?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I was (in a previous life) involved with the Internal Atrium Façade and attended many programming meetings. Trust me, they knew it was never going to be on time, the more recent issues have only compounded the problem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Have to say, I had the same first thought. I wouldn't say it was beyond the realms of possibility that halfway through next year they could find they'd put asbestos in the place. I'd certainly be profoundly unsurprising if they discovered the place was contaminated, or the playing surface hosting dangerous pathogens. Both have happened before on reclaimed dump sites.
    As well as with imported construction goods.
    Which for the record - is always a 'nice' surprise to break open a piping joint to find

vCash
    I was (in a previous life) involved with the Internal Atrium Façade and attended many programming meetings. Trust me, they knew it was never going to be on time, the more recent issues have only compounded the problem.
    Heard they knew and didn't care as well I believe?

vCash
    They always cared Jono, just not very much.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They always cared Jono, just not very much.
    The old "it is what it is"

Champion
    vCash
    Anyone involved with the Children's Hospital from the tendering process to design and construction should be the subject of a public enquiry.
    The whole thing has been a massive stuff up and a massive drain on the taxpayers dollar.

There is a crew of guy's there right now replacing a huge amount of apolic cladding which had rust stains on it when it was being first installed. Holland's were made aware of it and the attitude was 'just get it in and we'll deal with it later.

Good honest subcontractor's have lost everything because of Holland's dodgy non payment of work completed.
    A subbie took his own life after getting screwed for about a million dollars.

Yes a public enquiry would be welcome but won't happen because the state government bludger's won't give up their own kind, too many heads would roll due to gross incompetence.

Speaking of, a fish rot's from the head down, here's looking at you Barnett.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    When the Government (or their architects) refuse to listen to contractors regarding materials appropriateness for the application, there is always going to be issues. It is not apolic (brand name) or aluminium composite cladding in any form, that is what it should have been, it is easy to replace, does not rust and is cost effective. What is installed is Vitreous Enamel, like your old camping mug, cannot be altered once it's made, very susceptible to damage in transit and the damage cannot be repaired, a whole panel needs to be replaced, any chips will rust. But try telling an architect. They had too put them in as there were no replacements and it had to be closed up to commence internal works.

Everything else 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGzT-4Cyho

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 05-12-16 at 14:54.

Champion
    vCash
    Your description of the panels is spot on. After my investigative nature was aroused I made a phone call and have deduced that the panel dimensions are 3.2 metres high by 1500 mm's wide, there are approx 1500 panels to be replaced. Who cop's that.

Interesting to note that Fiona Stanley Hospital came in 6 months early and on budget.Everyone made a quid, Union built. Not hard to work it out

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Your description of the panels is spot on. After my investigative nature was aroused I made a phone call and have deduced that the panel dimensions are 3.2 metres high by 1500 mm's wide, there are approx 1500 panels to be replaced. Who cop's that.

Interesting to note that Fiona Stanley Hospital came in 6 months early and on budget.Everyone made a quid, Union built. Not hard to work it out
    I am assuming Yuanda the supplier of the façade will be trading off that cost with JH.

Is that the same Fiona Stanley that had all the hot water pipes burst and had to have the whole emergency entrance re done because they could fit enough ambulances under cover?

Union has sweet FA to do with any of it comrade

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast