Thread: Peni Drops with Western Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Peni Drops with Western Force

The Western Force have continued to add strength to their backline with the signing of former Western Force Academy member and Wests Tigers Rugby League young gun Chance Peni for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

After two years with the Tigers the former Junior Kiwi and capped Cook Islands rugby league representative says he is excited to return to his home state and begin the next chapter of his young career with the Western Force.

“I’m really happy now that I’ve made the decision to come back to rugby union with the Western Force and I’m pretty excited to see how it all turns out,” he said.

“I always said that I was going to come back to union someday. I didn’t think it would happen so soon but when the offer came I was excited to make the switch and it’s good that I can do it back where it all started.”

Born in New Zealand, raised in Perth the 22-year-old began his rugby career in Western Australia with Wests Subiaco (now Wests Scarborough) and played West Australian Schoolboys alongside current Western Force youngsters Luke Burton, Harry Scoble, Kane Koteka and Richard Hardwick.

“It will be good to play again with some of the boys that I used to play with. We used to do pretty well together and we mixed really well so it’s exciting to be back playing with some of the boys that I pretty much grew up with.”

Standing at 190cm and weighing in at 97kg the former Aranmore Catholic College student possesses explosive speed and strength in contact and despite playing in the centres in the 13-man code is being touted as an exciting outside back prospect for the Force.

“I’ll play anywhere to get my head back into that union mindset, I’m pretty comfortable on the wing or in the centres so I’ll play wherever Dave (Wessels) wants me to play.”

“For now I’m just really looking forward to getting stuck into pre-season, it’s always good to get started again after a long offseason, I can’t wait.”

Western Force Head Coach Dave Wessels says the club is ecstatic to have added such a high quality young player to the squad.

“It’s funny how things work out, Chance was actually a Development Officer here at the Force a few years ago so he is a rugby man through-and-through. He is excited to be coming back home and we are excited to have him.”

“He is very athletic, he’s a very big outside back and from everything I’ve heard he is an incredibly hard worker so we are very pleased to bring him home.”

“It’s a good win for rugby union to lure players back from league. In both Chance and Curtis Rona we have two very good rugby league players who have strong union backgrounds and they are going to make a big impact next season.”

Western Force Attack Coach Shaun Berne says the coaching staff can’t wait to see what the young gun can do in the blue jersey.

“How can you not be excited with a guy like Chance, who doesn’t love watching a big, strong, fast guy who scores tries?”

“With his physique and his size and skill he brings so much excitement to the game and anytime he gets the ball the opposition feel threatened and it excites us as coaches and I’m sure the supporters too.”

Name: Chance Peni
    Born: 17/01/1994, Invercargill, New Zealand
    Position: Wing
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 97kg
    Representative Rugby: West Australian Schoolboys (2011), Perth Gold (2011), Force A (2011), Junior Kiwis Rugby League (2014), Cook Islands Rugby League (2015)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/peni...-western-force

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Great to have him back, the rumours started a while back, and good to see it come to fruition

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    What competition were Perth Gold playing in in 2011?

Last edited by chibi; 04-11-16 at 00:49.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    A better option by far than Tapuai. This guy runs the ball so hard, saw him a couple of times when he was 17. Doubt that would have changed.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Very good pick up, things are looking on the up.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Maybe Taps wasn't liking the look of the new talent coming through.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Maybe Taps wasn't liking the look of the new talent coming through.
    probably made any release request made by Taps a lot easier for the Force to make knowing this guy was coming over anyway

vCash
    When I read that the deal was good for both parties, I'd hoped it might be a swap deal, with Bath sending us a player (possibly on loan). That might also tally with the General's post about surprise signings in the coming weeks.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    When I read that the deal was good for both parties, I'd hoped it might be a swap deal, with Bath sending us a player (possibly on loan). That might also tally with the General's post about surprise signings in the coming weeks.
    Leroy Houston?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Or maybe the force were looking at a fringe role for taps given the number of quality signings in the centres and wanted to free up the salary. He might have been tapped on the shoulder

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Leroy Houston?
    Pfft. We have the Wallaby incumbent, so why would we want the pretender to his throne.

Actually, saw a black Focus with the reg 'Benny Mac' at the WACA today. Thought of taking a photo, but noticed he was parked in a no parking area and didn't want to get him* into trouble

[* if it was him]

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Such a narcissistic rego doesn't sound at all like 'our' Benny Mac

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Benny drives a black Holden SS ute

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    So the festiva must belong to benoit Mackenzie arbuthnott.

C'mon the