Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Own the Force

vCash
    From Wayne Smith's article in today's OZ. Available with no pay wall on Google News.

There are those, well-placed in Australian rugby, who believe the SANZAAR meeting in London later today will bring about no meaningful change and that the number of teams will remain the same within the remaining three-year term of the current broadcast deal, albeit with some order brought to the current chaotic 18-team competition.

Others, equally well-placed, expect that there will be a massive overhaul, with Australia to lose one team, South Africa to lose two, while the competition will become more a trans-Tasman series with the only crossover games with South Africa coming in the end-of-*season finals. And at least they have something solid to point to by way of (possible) evidence, with the ARU asking all five Super Rugby clubs to suspend their contracting of non-Wallabies until after *SANZAAR has made it decision.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    SANZAAR needs to sort out the SunWolves too, there's something funny going on between the Japanese Top League and the SunWolves outfit; they are reminding me too much of the failed Paris St.Germain in the UK Super League. They started off with the full support of the French RL clubs and had a roster stacked with Frenchmen. The next year, the clubs refused to loan players and the team were full of spare parts, journeymen and foreign players, so the club lost it's following and faded away. It looks like something similar is happening there. It's a shame, because with full support, Japan could be a real boon for professional rugby in this sphere. (Maybe even with more than the one team if done right)

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    From Brett McKays Twitter.......

Hearing a few whispers about a re-jigged 18 team, 3 conference #SuperRugby. Moondogs to AU, Jaguares to NZ.

Could it work? Enough interest?
    Play everyone in your conference home and away, and everyone else once, would make an interesting (and fair) comp. 11 home games a year.
    Probably won't happen as apparently 26 weeks (including eight finalists as suggested by Gigs) is too long to play rugby for professionals. But it would keep Rugby around for most of the year and 11 home games means a good chance to keep Rugby visible in the home cities.

Didn't someone on here point out that it would reduce travel as well.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I've been shouting that shit for everybody to hear from about 15 seconds after they announced the shambolic disaster that is the current model. I want my consultancy fee!

Seems like ARU read TWF, in addition to

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    So given the time difference between London and here is about 7 hours when should we know something that's not speculation from a journo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    So given the time difference between London and here is about 7 hours when should we know something that's not speculation from a journo?
    I'm not holding my breath

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    By August Jargs

The only guarantee is that we will "officially" be none the wiser.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have a theory about the TV Rights deal.

With a population of;

South Africa: 60 Million
    New Zealand: 4.8 Million
    Australia: 24.5 Million

The previous TV deals were based on the numbers of Rugby fans (PayTV subscribers).

It would be very easy to argue that Australias Rugby Community would be the lowest of the 3 numbers.

A TV Rights deal would rely heavily on South African involvement.

A competition featuring only Australian and New Zealand teams not only would be one sided. But would also not be worth any money to a paytv audience of less then 8 million subscribers.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    And seriously?

If the two models up for grabs are
    1 3x6 team conferences
    2 Australia lose 1 and SA Lose 2, to give 3x5 Team conferences

2 HASN'T GOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL!

Australia might vote for it, and SA might be politically prepared to axe the Cheetahs, but there's no way they will support the death of the Kings, that's what started the whole clusterfizzle anyway. so they will vote option 2 down simply because they won't be able to close the Lions, Stormers, Sharks or Bulls without riots in the streets.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    South Africa: 60 Million
    New Zealand: 4.8 Million
    Australia: 24.5 Million

The previous TV deals were based on the numbers of Rugby fans (PayTV subscribers).

It would be very easy to argue that Australias Rugby Community would be the lowest of the 3 numbers.

A TV Rights deal would rely heavily on South African involvement.
    I would argue that of the 60Million South Africans only only about 20 million have access to Pay TV and a further 15 million of those have no interest in Rugby. Football is by far the more dominant Sport in SA. Supersport does however have viewers across Africa which would increase their footprint somewhat but certainly not 60 million people.

vCash
    Given the low exchange rate of the Rand, it would be interesting to see how much of the carve-up comes from the Republic to Oz and NZ.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    I would argue that of the 60Million South Africans only only about 20 million have access to Pay TV and a further 15 million of those have no interest in Rugby. Football is by far the more dominant Sport in SA. Supersport does however have viewers across Africa which would increase their footprint somewhat but certainly not 60 million people.
    I agree completely.

Call it 5-7 Million Rugby Subscribers in South Africa. Call it 2.5 million in New Zealand. and 1 Million in Australia.

According to News.com.au - there are 5.4 Million Subscribers to Foxtel in Australia - I think its a very safe bet that the majority of them are AFL/Mungo Fans, with Futbol and Motorsport F1 and V8Supertaxis and movie watchers making up the numbers before Rugby specific fans get a look in. Based on those numbers - I consider the money we get from the TV Rights is huge.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Western Force to launch Greenbay Packers-style prospectus

by Wayne Smith

The Western Force today will launch their Green Bay Packers-style prospectus to the public as the Perth club attempts one of the most ambitious money-raising ventures ever in Australian sport in a bid to avoid being jettisoned from Super Rugby.

The Force are one of three Australian clubs that could be culled from the southern hemisphere competition as part of SANZAAR’s strategic review — the others being the Melbourne Rebels and the Brumbies. But the franchise has boldly gone onto the front foot to save itself by attempting to raise $5m-$10m in shares.

“A rugby side doesn’t wait to see what the other side is going to do when the whistle blows . we’ve got to go out and play our own game,” said Tony Howarth, chairman both of Rugby WA and the company specially set up to buy the Force, the Western Force Owners Ltd.

The idea of going to the market with an ownership structure based on the Green Bay Packers — the only community-owned franchise in US professional sport — has been a dream of Force CEO Mark Sinderberry since 2015 but by doing it now, when the club’s future is in peril, the club are sending a clear and unmistakable message to the ARU and SANZAAR.

“Effectively, we’re actually asking people to become an owner,” Howarth said. “To that extent, we have to issue a prospectus, we have to have ASIC (the Australian Securities & Investments Commission) have a look at it. So it will sit for a week for ASIC to have a look at it, for the market to have a look at it, and then we can go on and then start to raise the money.”

The intention is to raise a minimum of $5m, which Rugby WA sees as a baseline of public support for the embattled club. If the club cannot raise that amount within four months, it will abandon the attempt. But when the Force first tested the marketplace in a sample poll, just under 5000 supporters indicated they were prepared to literally put their money behind the team.

On average, each supporter indicated they were prepared to purchase 1.7 shares, with each share priced at $1000. That would equate to $8.5m, more if the offer of being a part-owner in a professional rugby team captures the imagination of the Perth public.
    Certainly the Force have one of the most fanatical supporter bases, nicknamed the Sea of Blue, of any team in Super Rugby. When the club was launched in 2006, they stunned east coast clubs with the size and passion of the crowds they were attracting.

“Those 20,000 that were originally members, we start to get some of them back and really build that Sea of Blue again,” Howarth said.
    It is not known how the ownership structure will impact on the Force if and when it is confirmed as a going concern. Would “owners”, for instance, have a vote on who should be the CEO?
    “We’ve got to work that out,” Howarth said. “What we are going to do is create a council, an advisory council, and we would certainly take those key decisions to get input from that council. We want to make it local, We want to engage with the rugby community.”

How this changes the situation regarding the ARU’s decision on whether or not to cull the club is still impossible to say. Although the national body owns the Force, having purchased the intellectual property just over 12 months ago, and even though it was working with them to develop their privatisation model, the ARU was caught completely on the hop yesterday when the club decided to launch its perspective today. Accordingly, it made no statement.
    The Rebels are Australia’s only privately owned club at present, after the ARU sold them to the Imperium Sports Management group in June 2015.

No one knows what criteria the ARU is using to evaluate the relative strengths of the three endangered clubs but it may be that the Force, if they are able to realise their targets, will have removed “financial sustainability” from the list of factors weighing them down.
    Indeed, it may be that their case for retention is becoming more airtight given that 43 per cent of their matchday 23 used for the club’s last game, against the Brumbies, were home-grown in Western Australia. “We’ve always said that about the west … part of our strategic driver has been the determination to create Wallabies,” said Howarth.

Champion
    vCash
    And in The West

Force sells shares to fans in fight for survival
    Nick Taylor

Western Force have launched their radical multi-million dollar fan ownership scheme aimed at securing the club’s Super Rugby future.
    The Own The Force campaign, currently on track to raise $7 to $8 million, comes on top of a $6 million four-year sponsorship deal with the Road Safety Commission, and would make the club the strongest financially in Australian Super Rugby.
    The huge injection of cash will add weight to the club’s fight to avoid extinction as speculation swirls about the possible axing of an Australian side at the end of this season.
    The move, first mooted by Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry more than a year ago, will see the club issue $1000 ownership certificates.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88423319z

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Dear Member,

Now, more than ever in our history, we need you to stand up and support the Road Safety Western Force.

As you will no doubt be aware from the media coverage, we are fighting to retain the pathway for our kids to play professional rugby in Perth – and to see the world’s best rugby players play right here at nib Stadium.

And that is why we need every single Road Safety Western Force supporter to commit to our ‘Own The Force’ scheme so we can send the clearest message possible to the ARU that Super Rugby is here to stay in Perth.

A number of you, understandably have said that you are waiting to see what happens to the Road Safety Western Force before you invest. The reality is that we need you to help us make it happen now and we can’t wait to see what the outcome is. We need people to commit now to demonstrate to the ARU we have the local financial support to maintain the team.

Two key questions that have recently been asked.

1.The process is a bit daunting?

a.There are two stages to the share purchase, firstly complete the application form https://westernforce.thereachagency.com

b.Once you have completed and lodged the form you will receive an email with BPAY details to make the payment - the payment does not need to be finalised until 14th July.

2.What happens if the $5million is not raised and the licence is therefore not secured.

a. All investors will receive 100% of their money back

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call the office on 08 9387 0727

Kind regards

Mark

Ps look forward to seeing you out at nib stadium on Saturday night for 7:55pm kick off against the Lions

Logo

Mark Sinderberry
    Chief Executive Officer | Road Safety Western Force
    203 Underwood Ave, Floreat, WA 6014 | PO Box 146, Floreat WA 6014
    T +61 8 9387 0729| F +61 8 9387 2804| M +61 438 011 588
    westernforce.com.au | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Fixtures |

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast