Thread: Larkham to Transition to Full-time Wallabies Role

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Larkham to Transition to Full-time Wallabies Role

October 28, 2016

Wallabies assistant and Brumbies Head Coach Stephen Larkham will move permanently into the Wallabies coaching team at the end of the 2017 Super Rugby season after signing a new three-year contract with the Australian Rugby Union.

Larkham, who joined the Wallabies coaching team in February 2015 and has occupied dual roles as Wallabies Attack Coach and Brumbies Head Coach for the past two seasons, will relinquish his role with the Brumbies at the end of the team’s 2017 campaign.

The 102-Test former Wallabies flyhalf is now locked into Michael Cheika’s Wallabies coaching team until the end of the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Larkham said he was looking forward to continuing to work with the young Wallabies backline, as well as the next crop of players coming through the ranks in Super Rugby.

“I have really enjoyed working with this current Wallaby group, as well as the national coaching group,” Larkham said.

“I hope we can continue to grow to be where we know we can be, and I’m looking forward to being part of that.”

Larkham, who has led the Brumbies to the Super Rugby finals in each of his three seasons at the helm in Canberra, said he is committed to helping the club transition to a new Head Coach for 2018.

“It will be very tough to leave but I will continue to be based in Canberra and involved with the Brumbies.

“I will be totally committed to having a successful 2017 with the Brumbies, and support the club in its recruitment of a new Head Coach for 2018 and beyond,” he said.

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika said: “Stephen is on his way to becoming a world class coach and I know he is very passionate about his coaching and the Wallaby Jersey.

“Having coached both last year (a Super Rugby team and the Wallabies) I know it’s a difficult task and I’m pleased for Stephen that he has sorted out his future and obviously, I personally am pleased that he’s going to continue with us beyond this year.”

ARU General Manager, High Performance, Ben Whitaker said: “Stephen will continue to work with the Brumbies across Super Rugby and the emerging player programs.

“To enable him to focus on the Wallabies in a full-time capacity is a great coup for Australian Rugby, while he will still have a strong influence in his home town.”

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...allabies-role/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hmmm, nowhere in that article do I read the line
    "Brumbies rumoured to fold in the light of a massive financial loss, boardroom mismanagement and now the loss of the Head Coach"

Am I wearing too much tinfoil?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    People on the Roar are using this, and our signing of Robbie Coleman, as proof that SANZAAR have decided one Australian franchise is to be culled, and the ARU have decided it is to be Canberra. It's only a matter of time before they suggest the Force should fall on their sword to protect the fine old club of the Brumbies.

Ho hum.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    People on the Roar are using this, and our signing of Robbie Coleman, as proof that SANZAAR have decided one Australian franchise is to be culled, and the ARU have decided it is to be Canberra. It's only a matter of time before they suggest the Force should fall on their sword to protect the fine old club of the Brumbies.

Ho hum.
    Bugger that! If there is a club in Australia that deserves to fold more than the Brumbies it can only be the Rebels. THey have had less success per dollar spent than even the Waratahs!

C'mon the

vCash
    End of Quade in yellow, end of Brumbies ... please!
    A franchise in Canberra is a luxury with Sydney & Melbourne a hour either side of concrete
    End of Cheeks as the ARU can now bin him for a popularist choice if too many clown references get made ...

... or Stuart Lancaster finally gets a Super Rugby gig !

vCash
    I'm expecting Muddy to come on here and have a meltdown if this rumour gets any legs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    End of Quade in yellow!
    I don't think Quade has played for Brisbane City in the NRC

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think it makes sense for Larkham to be full time assistant coach and not have 2 roles but the question is, is he actually any good as a coach? He hasn't really proven himself so far.

vCash
    SR Semi Final, SR Quarter Final, RWC Final......I guess he really needs to lift his game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I think it makes sense for Larkham to be full time assistant coach and not have 2 roles but the question is, is he actually any good as a coach? He hasn't really proven himself so far.
    Well, he has been the backs coach for one on the most brutal forwards packs in Super Rugby

C'mon the

vCash
    Id suggest they start winning. Considering his background, the backline has been a joke.

Controversy corner