Thread: SPIRIT SETTING THE PLATFORM FOR THE FORCE IN 2017

Senior Player
    vCash

SPIRIT SETTING THE PLATFORM FOR THE FORCE IN 2017

After falling at the final hurdle in 2014 the Perth Sprit got their hands on the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship trophy on Saturday night with a thrilling 20-16 win over minor premiers the NSW Country in Tamworth.

Spirit openside flanker Richard Hardwick says the he and the rest of the team are still buzzing from the win and soaking it all up.

“I don’t know how long it is going to take to sink in,” he said. “I’ve still got a smile on my face when I wake up and think about the game.”

The 22-year-old UWA product put in a man-of-the-match performance laying some massive tackles and forcing pivotal turnovers at the breakdown in several key moments throughout the match to be named the inaugural Phil Waugh Medallist.

“It was a surprise when my name was called, there was a lot of emotion going on and I started to think about what I was going to say but when I shook Phil Waugh’s hand it all went out the window because I got a bit star struck.”

“When I was a young kid I watched him play, so to win his medal on such a big day was amazing. As I said on the stage I only won that medal because of the guys on the team, we gelled so well as a team and everyone worked so hard and it showed in that grand final.”

“It was such an impressive defensive effort from all the boys. Everyone had confidence in the defensive line because you had guys on your outside and your inside working just as hard as you.

“We talked about the old cliché that defence wins championships and we were able put them under pressure, capitalise on their mistakes and find a way to win.”

After signing his first full contract with the Western Force earlier this month Hardwick says the Spirit’s Buildcorp NRC triumph is an ideal way to begin preparations for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

“This NRC season has given everyone so much confidence and self-belief heading into pre-season. It has shown that we know how to win, we can win tight games and close out games.”

“Moving into pre-season it gives all of us a good boost, we aren’t going to dwell on it too much but we will definitely use it and learn from it and I think you will see the result of that moving into the Super Rugby season.

“I had a very fortunate year in 2016 and my next goal is to try and secure a place in the match day 23 for the Force every week. It’s not going to be easy, we have some phenomenal backrowers and I have to work really hard but I think that competition is fantastic not only for me as a player but the team as a whole.”

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...orm-force-2017

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well done to a young lad who has a future in Rugby..Stick with your dreams Dickie

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!