Thread: Pity someone like Kerry Packer doesn't run Fox

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pity someone like Kerry Packer doesn't run Fox

As revealed in his new book A Beautiful Game: My Love Affair With Cricket, Nicholas had been sympathising with the local crowd, and the fielding visiting team, as the icy conditions took their toll. During the break between innings the mobile phone of Nine producer Graeme Koos rang. “Mark, it’s Kerry, for you,” Koos said.

Benaud looked up with interest and Nicholas’s heart began thumping in his chest. He put the phone to his ear.

“Son, it’s Kerry Packer,” said the gravelly voice on the other end of the line. “Son, stop bagging the f***ing game.”

“Pardon, Mr Packer? I’m sorry, I missed that,” replied Nicholas, as he battled with a bad connection.

Packer: “I said stop bagging the f***ing game, son. Celebrate the game, talk it up.”

Nicholas: “But Mr Packer, people tell me I’m too busy talking the game up and that I should toughen ...”

Packer (with raised voice): “I’m not people, son, I’m the boss. You listen to me.”

Nicholas: “I’m trying, Mr Packer. It’s not a great line. I think it’s better here. I think I’ll hear you better now.”

Packer: “Son, stop telling us how f***ing cold it is in Hobart and how the fielders’ are wringing their hands and how people are wrapped in anoraks and having a s*** time. The only people having a s*** time are those of us at home who have to sit here f***ing listening to you. And son, we’re a commercial network. We sell the game. It’s not over till it’s over. I don’t care how far in front the Aussies are, it’s never over. Our business is numbers, son, eyeballs. And another thing, when you’re next in Sydney, come and see me. Ring my secretary and make an appointment.”

Nicholas: “Yes, Mr Packer, when should I ...”

Packer: “Are you f***ing deaf, son? I said come and see me when you are next in Sydney. And son, bring those two other young blokes, (Mark) Taylor and (Ian) Healy, with you.”

Benaud, Lawry and Tony Greig immediately attempted to soften what was a devastating blow.

“He puts a marker on most people who represent the network,” said Greig, while Lawry recalled the time Packer had told him “stop copying Benaud and start f***ing talking”.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Too bloody true.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David