Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hodgson backs future of Western Force

Senior Player
    vCash

Hodgson backs future of Western Force

Western Force veteran Matt Hodgson is confident the Super Rugby club will be around for many more years and is planning to help steer it into the future.

A SANZAAR review has led to speculation that an Australian club could be cut from the competition at the end of next year but Hodgson, who has signed a unique contract that allows him another playing year while he moves into a coaching role, says it won’t be the Force.

“I would not have signed on and be putting so much effort into this if I didn’t think we would be here for a long time,” said Hodgson, who is preparing for his 12th consecutive season at the Force in 2017.

“I stopped listening to rumours and gossip in 2006 when I started playing and I wouldn’t be sticking around now if I didn’t feel the same as I did then.

“Obviously we need things to change on field, but if we are playing great football how can they kick us out?”

Hodgson has relinquished the captaincy after four years and tips Wallabies No.8 Ben McCalman as his successor.

Hodgson is expected to step into coaching full-time in 2018, but that will be put on hold if he can play another year.

“I’m not saying it’s my last year, but it’s time to think about life after footy,” Hodgson said.

“As long as I think I’m adding value to the team I’ll stay around, but no promises yet. When I took over the captaincy, I got thrown into the deep end and had to learn through mistakes. I have loved every moment of it, but I felt it was time to allow someone to ease into it.

“Benny would fall into the role. Players look up to him and respect him and you need someone in the engine room, in the middle of it all, to deal with referees.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...hodgson/#page1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    With all that is currently happening here in the West, our demise is becoming less and less likely.

Long live rugby in WA and long live the sea of blue.

Lets make certain by being there next year to cheer our team on.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    We just have to silence the whining from the "luminaries" over east. And the best way to do that is to ignore them and let the players do the talking on the field and us do the talking in the stands! Long live the Force and the sea of blue!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    We just have to silence the whining from the "luminaries" over east. And the best way to do that is to ignore them and let the players do the talking on the field and us do the talking in the stands! Long live the Force and the sea of blue!!
    Our 1st step is to win tomorrow Go the Spirit.. Fill the trophy cabinet.. ( wont say nail in the coffin cose it could back fire)) Go Boys

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Our 1st step is to win tomorrow Go the Spirit.. Fill the trophy cabinet.. ( wont say nail in the coffin cose it could back fire)) Go Boys
    Do you really think that the spirit beating a team full of Shute shield players will silence Papworth? I think it far more likely that, regardless of the result, this game will be more grist for his mill. Most probably something along the lines of "professional rugby players mercilessly beating up on good, honest club rugby players. By the way did you know the force is broke, should move to Western Sydney and the ARU has given them all my (Sorry I mean grassroots rugby's) money"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Time to fight.
    The rugby community needs to unite behind the Force if you want professional rugby to stay in WA.
    The challenge is that the local club scene has as many myopic old farts as the Shute Shield and old school tie brigade from the eastern seaboard.
    Club land would probably be happy to see the Force go.
    Get loud because the decision on the Force will happen in the next 6 weeks.

Controversy corner

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Time to fight.
    The rugby community needs to unite behind the Force if you want professional rugby to stay in WA.
    The challenge is that the local club scene has as many myopic old farts as the Shute Shield and old school tie brigade from the eastern seaboard.
    Club land would probably be happy to see the Force go.
    Get loud because the decision on the Force will happen in the next 6 weeks.
    I am with you 100%

we need to starting hitting the Forums - the big websites.

GAGR
    Foxsports Forums
    maybe even some new zealand and south african websites.

BUT - we have to be smart - We are not here to get banned or pick fights. we are here to garner support. we want the Force to become everyones second team.

We need Facts
    we need to be sure
    we need to be singing from the same song sheet.

anyone else interested in helping?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    We need a petition with 100000 signatures to keep the Force in WA. The Saffers can save us. We need to mobilise the locals and the RSA crowd that wanted a team in WA as a stopover to the East and NZ

Controversy corner

vCash
    Chisel Head loves petitions maybe he could get this show on the road.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy

Controversy corner

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    OK - done the petition

TO: Bill Pulver, Australian Rugby Union and SANZAR

The continued survival of the Western Force as a team based in Perth, Western Australia

There is an opinion that there are currently too many teams in the Super Rugby Competition and that it is not sustainable in its current format. For some the quick and easy solution is to disband the Western Force based in Perth, Western Australia.

This solution is not acceptable to us. The Western Force has had to fight for everything that it has and has cost the Australian Rugby Union virtually nothing to get to where it is, whilst growing the sport of Rugby union on the West Coast of Australia.

The Western Force does not deserve to be the scapegoat of the Australian Rugby Unions mismanagement.

**** Any suggested changes before I submit it?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Australian rugby must stand as the benchmark for development and growth of the sport. Self serving and narrow minded attitudes are ignoring the big picture of growing rugby not only nationally but at the state level like the Force and their members who have a passionate determination to remain an ongoing representation of rugby and what the Force contributes to rugby in Australia.

vCash
    I suppose something to further elaborate that we are Australia's new developmental frontier. And a growing city. Maybe a mention of the South African stopover geography.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    OK - done the petition

TO: Bill Pulver, Australian Rugby Union and SANZAR

The continued survival of the Western Force as a team based in Perth, Western Australia

There is an opinion that there are currently too many teams in the Super Rugby Competition and that it is not sustainable in its current format. For some the quick and easy solution is to disband the Western Force based in Perth, Western Australia.

This solution is not acceptable to us. The Western Force has had to fight for everything that it has and has cost the Australian Rugby Union virtually nothing to get to where it is, whilst growing the sport of Rugby union on the West Coast of Australia.

The Western Force does not deserve to be the scapegoat of the Australian Rugby Unions mismanagement.

**** Any suggested changes before I submit it?
    Perhaps Replace the last paragraph with...

The Western Force employees, players, supporters and the many volunteers putting the hard work into growing WA community rugby, to the benefit of Australian rugby, do not deserve to be the scapegoat of corrupt South African politics and poor SAANZAR leadership.

I thought not mentioning ARU mismanagement might help keep them onside as they are the ones who have to fight saanzar.

vCash
    Focus on positives. Sabre rattling and accusations of mismanagement aren't going to win any support. Development of junior systems, regional development of rugby where it never existed, improving club scene, Perth spirit winning NRC, huge supporter base, lots of rugby expats hungry for professional rugby to support, Force producing wallabies, increasing depth of Australian rugby, more professional pathways for talented juniors instead of going to rugby league, 10 years of investment paying dividends with increasing juniors numbers....dead set
    Not a time to focus on negatives

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast