Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who will be the new Western force captain?

vCash
    The captain should be (for me) a player who is one of the inked-in names on the team sheet, has been here long enough to know the club, and likely to play 80 minutes (forgiving front-rowers this requirement). Therefore, the choices seem to be:

Props: Pek might split time with Ben Daley, and Tet doesn't seem to be putting his hand up - no-one stands out as captain.
    Hookers: Tessman might find himself splitting time with Rangi or Scoble and is 32, so not a long-term choice.
    Locks: Coleman is the only inked-in lock (the other being Matwijow/Phillips/RHP?). Will be calling line-outs, too, but Sharpie did both. Just turned 25.
    Flankers: With Cottrell injured the 6 could be RHP (22 years old), although Stander and Naisarani have played there. Hodgson will probably lock down the 7 jersey unless injured when Hardwick and Koteka will fight for it. No-one stands out as captain.
    No. 8: McCalman - does seem quiet, but then so did Hodgson when he took over the captaincy.
    Halves: We may only have Grant for 1 more year, and Lance is more likely in the 10 jersey. We might start either Prior or Lowrens depending on the opposition, as neither has truly out-shone the other. I don't like halves as captains as they have too many other decisions to make on the field.
    Centres: Meakes and Coleman have only just joined and Tapuai has only been here a year. Brache has been here longer, but is a bench player.
    Wings: Have less control over a team from out on the wing, although it doesn't rule them out. Morahan would be a left-field choice, but could legitimately claim to fit all the criteria.
    FB: Full-backs see more of the game than the other positions, but are that bit removed from the action, too. DHP also fits the criteria, though.

So I can see it's a choice of: Tessman (short-term), Coleman, McCalman, Lance (possibly), Morahan and DHP.

Coleman's age shouldn't be such an issue if he plays alongside Hodgson for another year, but McCalman has the seniority (28 years old, 90 games for the Force and 50 for the Wallabies).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    The smart money is on Coleman.

DHP for vc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I am really a Palmyra troll.

Player
    vCash
    Well thought out Sheikh amd on the money. Maybe Benny Mac captain, with Coleman as VC for a year or two then Coleman takes over. Hodgo gets to help Coleman develop into the role without Coleman having the full responsibility.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Coleman has to learn calling the line-out; I think he's going to end up with that role for the Wallabies, too.

So we could go with Tessman for a season (or two) while waiting for Coleman to be ready for the captaincy, or McCalman takes over the captaincy permanently. I'd agree with Darkness for either Morahan or DHP as vc (or back's captain)

Of course, not everyone wants to be captain. Has anyone actually asked the players if they are happy taking on that responsibility?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Rookie
    vCash
    McCalman for captain
    DHP for VC

Veteran
    vCash
    I also see coleman as trying to fill an enforcers role as well. Not the person to be talking to the ref too often...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3