Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NRC Grand Final - Piggies v Eagles

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

NRC Grand Final - Piggies v Eagles

One to Go for the Perth Pigs

By Fraser Smith on Mon 17th October 16 in NRC

Yesterday’s semi-final win over the Sydney Rays at Pittwater Park secured the Perth Spirit’s second trip to the Buildcorp NRC Grand Final in the last three seasons and the men in black and gold are determined to go one better than 2014 and bring the trophy west.

After letting the Rays jump out to a 16-point lead in the opening 10-minutes the Spirit piled on 42-points to eight for a resounding victory and Head Coach Dwayne Nestor says the team is getting closer to a full 80-minute performance.

“I think we went pretty close to getting that 80-minute performance,” he said. Our set piece was pretty good, the forwards have worked really hard on that over the last few weeks and they have done a great job.”

“We speak a lot about winning the collisions and I think we did that fairly well. We got solid go-forward and good support and quick recycle allowed us to put the Rays under pressure and make the most of those chances.”

The Spirit’s focus now turns to this week’s Grand Final showdown with the NSW Country Eagles in Tamworth and Nestor says the team has had a trip to the ‘big dance’ in their sights for some time now.

“The boys have had a countdown over the last couple weeks. The Vikings game was three-to-go, yesterday was two-to-go and already today there have been a couple of boys saying ‘one-to-go’.”

“It was funny when the final whistle went yesterday, the boys celebrated but it wasn’t over to top.

“I think there is an underlying feeling in the team that we aren’t done until the final whistle goes on Saturday. There is a genuine belief and healthy confidence in the group that one more win is well and truly within reach.”

It is clear to see the ‘Perth Pigs’ are not just playing some excellent rugby but they are having a great time doing it. Nestor says a focus on enjoying their rugby is something he looked to drum into the squad from the outset.

“On the very first day that we got together as a squad the main thing wanted to get across was that we want them to enjoy playing the game. We wanted that mentality the spread across the whole squad, it just goes to show if the boys are enjoying being on the field and playing together then anything is possible.”

“We had a good flight back and this week will really be about freshening the guys up and keeping a smile on their dial, because they’re enjoying what they’re doing at the moment.”

With some experts describing the Western Australian side’s semi-final win as a huge upset the Spirit will head into Saturday’s decider as overwhelming underdogs in the eyes of some but Nestor says the team won’t be taking any notice of external opinions.

“They can call us Mary for all I care as long we are holding up the silverware at the end of the day,” laughed Nestor.

“It’s people’s perceptions and people’s opinions but we don’t mind it at all. NSW Country are an outstanding team, no doubt they have been the best team in the competition so far and that’s why they finished first.”

“If they want to call us underdogs then that’s fine, we will just call ourselves the Perth Pigs and see how we go.”

The Perth Spirit will run out against the NSW Country Eagles at Tamworth Rugby Park at 4:45PM AWST on Saturday, 22 October with the match to be broadcast live on Fox Sports 2 (502).

Buildcorp NRC- Grand Final
    Perth Spirit vs NSW Country Eagles
    Saturday, 22 October
    Tamworth Rugby Park, NSW
    Kick-off: 4:45PM AWST
    Broadcast: Fox Sports 2 (502)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...-go-perth-pigs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Can't say as I'll be that upset if they don't win, it's more then enough to see how they've been playing so well and with skill & composure. A couple of times I thought they'd lost the plot but they stayed focused and turned it around. Kudos to every one!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Anyone know why they call themselves 'pigs'??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Focusing on the forwards.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Super Coach Nestor will have them cherry ripe come game time!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I believe it came from Brownie in the ARC days.

vCash
    Do we have a list of the players overlooked by the coach as he prefers this playing group?

Are there any parents out there with a gripe against him for not picking their son/s?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Do we have a list of the players overlooked by the coach as he prefers this playing group?

Are there any parents out there with a gripe against him for not picking their son/s?
    Refer them to "It’s people’s perceptions and people’s opinions but we don’t mind it at all". His track record is looking better everyday. I'm sure there will be plenty of sh*t thrown if they don't win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    I'm sure there will be plenty of sh*t thrown if they don't win.
    And then they'll bring up the under 20s. Who, of course, we're the privileged underachievers that he hand picked because they would pander to his pedantic bullying and ineptitude. Or at least That's what I can remember from most of the diatribes

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yeah a few naysayers have disappeared lately. Pity the poor soul who's getting their shit from them now.

vCash
    He's possibly answered his critics in the best possible way, through doing a pretty good job (so far) and giving himself the opportunity to be the first coach in the history of the franchise to win something meaningful. If he wins the thing I'tll cement the support of a lot of people.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    We've been calling them "The Booze"
    ~smiles~

I'm still waiting for a noun I can cheer..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Tessmann Profiles Perth Spirit Squad
    By Pete Fairbairn, 18.10.16

Perth Spirit have stormed into the 2016 Buildcorp NRC Grand Final, after upsetting the Sydney Rays at Rat Park on Sunday afternoon, and this Saturday in Tamworth against the NSW Country Eagles they’ll have the opportunity to exorcise the demons of losing the 2014 decider to Brisbane City.

Spirit Captain Heath Tessmann didn’t play that game, but as many as nine of those who did remain in contention to be selected for the ‘Pigs’ this week. Their squad this year is yet again a mix of youth and experience, and of professional players and stars from Perth’s Pindan Premier Grade.

We spoke to Tessmann in the lead-up to the game, and asked him to provide the inside knowledge on each of his squad’s players in preparation for the big dance.

Perth Spirit Pocket Player Profiles – By Heath Tessmann

Ainsley, Jermaine (6 games in 2016):
    “Jermaine Ainsley is the future of tighthead props in Australia. I have no doubt he’ll be a Wallaby one day; his mentality, and his focus on scrummaging first and foremost, is something you don’t see in young guys too often.”

Alatimu, AJ (8 games, 6 points):
    “The Iceman, AJ is one of the best kickers off the tee that I have ever seen and he has been a great find in this year's NRC."

Brache, Marcel (5 games, 18 points):
    “Marcel is our eternal optimist; he’s always putting his hand up to do extra work and he’s always making sure that the group stays up and about.”

Burges, Russell (5 games):
    “We call him Conor McGregor; he is one of the real characters of our team and he’s just happy that his talent has finally been discovered, as he told us.”

Cowan, Pek (3 games):
    “Pek is one of the ultimate Rugby warriors, he leads from the front every time he plays and he always gives his all. We’re best mates so I have to be careful not to pump his tyres too much.”

Eden, Manihera (6 games, 14 points):
    “Mani is one of the finds of this NRC; he is an extremely focused young man and a great competitor who has had a big impact.”

Hardwick, Richard (6 games, 12 points):
    “Richie is just making every post a winner this year, and he is really growing into his role as a 7 and has been rewarded with a Western Force contract for next year.”

Havilli, Onehunga (8 games, 6 points):
    “He is starting to learn to love scrums, which I am very happy with, and he is an excellent young prospect wo is going to go a long way.”

Haylett-Petty, Ross (5 games, 18 points):
    “Rainman Ross could be absolutely anything, and he has the focus and determination to be anything. I love playing alongside him.”

Knapp, Grayson (4 games):
    “Grayson is one of the most reliable guys in the squad, who will always do his job and his work which is what you need from a second rower.”

Koteka, Kane (3 games):
    “Him and Richard Hardwick have been pushing each other the whole way through this competition, and hopefully he’ll be right to play this week and we can unleash ‘The Undertaker’ on the Eagles.

Lance, Jonno (6 games, 34 points):
    “He is our backs skipper, and he guides the ship just about better than anybody I’ve ever played with. Obviously he is touch and go with injury to play this week. If he doesn’t get up to play this week, his work with all of our backs this year has been invaluable regardless. He’s done a lot of work with Ian Prior and AJ Alatimu, but even guys all the way out to the wing, helping them out with lines and what he sees.”

Louwrens, Ryan (7 games, 24 points):
    “One of the most explosive and powerful 9’s I have played with; Ryan can turn nothing into something very quickly.”

Masirewa, Semisi (3 games, 12 points):
    “Semisi has some of the fastest feet you will ever see, and he has come back from a tough injury he suffered in the Pindan Premier Grade Final to work his way back into our starting team for the Semi Final.”

Matuauto, Ammon (6 games, 18 points):
    “He is one of the silkiest players I have ever worked with. He is like Ryan Louwrens in that he can create something from nothing very quickly, and he just reads the game so well.”

Meakes, Billy (7 games, 6 points):
    “Billy has been a massive find for the Spirit and the Force in 2017. He has shown his class in this competition, and he’ll be huge for us this weekend.”

Morahan, Luke (4 games, 30 points):
    “He’s just a freak. ‘Moz is gonna Moz’ is what we say! I’ve been lucky enough to play with him since he was seventeen years old, and I think he scored with his first touch in first grade and he has been doing it ever since.”

Mulikihaamea, Laione (8 games):
    “Muli is the heart of our Perth Spirit team. He is one of the most passionate guys in the group, and the energy he brings every game is infectious and goes through the whole squad.”

Prior, Ian (5 games, 26 points):
    “Ian Prior is our little general, and nobody has a feel or read for the game better than him. Whether he is playing 9 or 10, his performances are amazingly consistent.”

Rangi, Anaru (4 games, 6 points):
    “The Axe Murderer brings huge energy, and he loves the physicality which is exactly what you want from any front rower in this competition. He keeps turning up week in, week out, and putting in some big hits.”

Ruru, Michael (7 games):
    “Michael is our half back, but also our half forward, as he has played flanker for us as well this year. He can create something out of nowhere, and he has one of the best halfback kicking games in the competition.”

Scoble, Harry (5 games):
    “Rusty is our workhorse, and he has had a great year with both the Piggys and the Force. You always know exactly what you’re going to get from him; he’ll always do what’s asked of him, and he’ll always do it really well.”

Stander, Brynard (7 games, 12 points):
    “Brynard is our battering ram, and he is one of the hardest guys you will ever have to tackle. He performs for 80 minutes every week and is uncompromising in everything that he does, and he’s been huge for us every game this year.”

Stringer, Kieran (8 games):
    “Kieran weighs about 75kg ringing wet, but he plays like he is 115kg! He has answered the call for us in a big way, as we were pretty short of locks this year. He works a twelve-hour day and then turns up at training every night, never complains and then just rips in and gets the job done.”

Tapuai, Ben (8 games, 6 points):
    “Taps is just rowing and growing every time he plays in this competition. He’s another guy I have played with and against for many years, and he still surprises me with some of the skills that he applies to different situations on the field. The way he and Billy have worked together in the midfield is a great sign for us this weekend.”

Vasukicakau, Eric (7 games, 14 points):
    “Some of the biggest hands you will ever see! He’s another one of the Club guys who have been a real find, and I think he should be somebody who is in the Australian Barbarians team at the end of the season. He is a great finisher, and his defensive reads have been sound all year.”

Vui, Shambeckler (8 games, 6 points):
    “Shambeckler is somebody I would hate to have to tackle! He loves his contact, he loves being physical and he loves putting his hand up to run with the ball (and through things more often than not!) He has a big future, and a strong name!”

http://www.rupa.com.au/rupa-news/sto...h-spirit-squad

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Nice write up from GnGR by NICK WASILIEV

Relevant section from http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-tuesday-top-5-32/

PERTH SPIRIT THE PRIDE OF WA RUGBY

Well, come finals, and the Spirit sure know how to spring a surprise. They did it in 2014 to the Melbourne Rising, and once again, they’ve come up trumps against the men from Sydney, winning 42-24. The men from the west (who have now become affectionately known as ‘The Piggies’) had to dig deep to grab their first ever win against a brave Rays outfit at Rat Park, but their performance shows how far the team has come from their twenty-point loss against the same side at a soaked North Sydney Oval nearly seven weeks ago. The Spirit now has amassed five wins from their last six games, and look dangerous. Really, really dangerous.

It’s time for a bit of context with rugby in the west. For many fans of the Force, it has been a woeful year. Financially, the club was taken over by the ARU to stay afloat, and they amassed a paltry two wins all year (their second worst season performance in their history, but hey at least it wasn’t the Lions back in 2010). But, if there is any sign to stick with the Force, it has what has come afterwards. Yeah, their search for a coach never left the carpark and has been given to David Wessels, but Wessels looks like he’s taking the job seriously: his coaching selections have been excellent so far, with the Force taking on Ulster assistant coach Joe Barakat as forwards coach, Leinster elite development coach Shaun Berne as attack coach, and Alan Gaffney, who has worked at the Waratahs, Munster, Saracens and Leinster. His player selection has been solid too, with the likes of Billy Meakes, Isi Naisarani, Chris Rona and a bunch of promising local talent joining the Force’s ranks (If only they could bring back the Badger too).

This year in the 10-man format of the game, the Force were crowned World Club 10s Champions in Mauritius (with a squad comprised of mostly local talent). Now, the Spirit (with a hefty number of players from the Pindan Premier Grade), find themselves in the NRC grand final for the second time in three years! And that was all them; they got to those finals by hard slog, and winning against more favoured opponents. The Spirit are the epitome of why we need to keep rugby in the west! Regardless of whether they win or lose in Tamworth next week, the Spirit have more than shown the value of Western Australian rugby. Now, if only the Force can replicate that success…

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Looks like there's some sort of member's get-together at the Wembley for the final, they might be trying to get Foxtel to come there and cover it.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast