Thread: Brumbies in talks with ARU over forming an Alliance

Champion
    vCash

Brumbies in talks with ARU over forming an Alliance

The Australian Rugby Union is negotiating with the Brumbies to enter into a financial partnership with the Super Rugby franchise, stopping short of a takeover.

The national governing body formed an “alliance” with the *financially struggling Western Force earlier this year, buying the club’s intellectual property rights for $800,000.

The same offer has been put to Australia’s four other Super Rugby franchises — the Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels — who are all experiencing financial challenges to varying degrees.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said the Brumbies were yet to take up the offer of an alliance, but they were in deep discussions.

“There is some pretty detailed dialogue going on,” Pulver said. “I met with Rob Kennedy (Brumbies chairman) and Phil Thomson (interim chief executive) a couple of days ago about the Brumbies’ *environment. They are looking hard at the opportunities. I’d like to think so. I think the arguments we are putting forward are pretty compelling.

“Essentially, no one cares about administration. What people care about are their clubs and their teams and their Wallabies and their Wallaroos and their men’s and women’s sevens teams.

“That’s what people love about rugby. You don’t need a whole lot of expensive administration. So why not streamline all of that in a way that delivers the best possible outcome from a high performance perspective and let people focus on what they love about the game. It’s not the administrators.”

Unlike, the Force, it is understood the Brumbies, or more spe*cifically the ACT Rugby Union, are unwilling to sell their intellectual property rights to the ARU, which would effectively result in a takeover.

“Not that we wouldn’t, but that’s not the sort of conversation we are having,” Pulver said. “It’s about how we are allowing them to focus more energy with our support on their high performance community. There are three key functions: your community engagement, your professional rugby environment and your commercial outcomes.

“We need to deliver the best possible result in each of those areas by minimising the cost of the administration. ACT Rugby Union is a wonderful enterprise, but we think it could operate even more effectively with a slightly closer *relationship with us.

“In terms of a timing perspective we are probably further down the track with the ACT than we are with the others.”

Pulver said he would continue to talk to the Waratahs, Reds and Rebels about forming an alliance with the ARU.

“I’m talking to every Super Rugby club,” Pulver said. “The Western Force alliance is a good example. We managed to take a fair bit of cost out of the enterprise. Stuff that really didn’t add value to their enterprise. They are leaning more heavily on our high performance capability, which will help. It’s a more logical way to run the business.

“We have been caught in this federated model for a long time. These are opportunities for enhancement that I’m putting in front of every state union. I’d love to think the vision for the future is we are collaborating a lot more *effectively, avoiding expensive duplication and cutting costs and taking advantage of all those areas where you can approve high performance outcomes.

“We are also talking to Queensland and NSW and every state about opportunities to operate more effectively together.”

Pulver described the financial state of Australian rugby as “okay”, but admitted the Super Rugby franchises were still a concern.

“We did a terrific broadcast deal, which took us from a really troublesome financial environment to one that is far more stable,” Pulver said.

“Overall, it’s okay is how I would assess it. We still have some financial challenges, particularly in Super Rugby.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...36b08a7564b840

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Good thing i copied the article, the link goes to their subscription page.

vCash
    Hmmmm. Every organisation needs administrators. I object to their dismissal as unnecessary baggage in some of those quotes.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Perhaps they took note of Peter O'Meara's comments on the need for an investigation of the Brumbies finances - in another post. It only needs one person to start the ball rolling. Let's hope he has done that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Hmmmm. Every organisation needs administrators. I object to their dismissal as unnecessary baggage in some of those quotes.
    No question about it, but if it's done properly one centralised admin team can handle some of the doubled up duties (payroll/super, HR/IR, RUPA stuff) while keeping recruitment and other individual club activities separate & avoiding a conflict of interest.
    We cant have one team (based in the same building as the tahs) looking after recruitment for all 5 franchises.

I think the brumbies have been highlighted at the moment because the stuff with the force is already done, & as a result of the legal issues they have had this year. I'd wager there is more to this story. if only the ex CEO didn't sign an NDA!

if the ARU is looking to centralise some administration functions in a way that makes it more cost effective across the board for everyone i'm all for it - in principle.
    reducing the indirect costs for a rugby organisation would be almost impossible, so any opportunity to do something about it needs to be looked at.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I found it baffling that with all the millions that the ARU has given to the Reds, Tahs, Brumbies and the 10s of Millions thrown at the Rebels.

Yet the Force ask for 800k - and give up our intellectual property rights for it - We are the ones that are labelled financially struggling.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    I agree with Jono, there are too many clingon's who have jumped on the gravy train and won't get off. They justify their leeching existence with bullshit and smokescreens, this had to happen.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Because our on field performance gave them an easy story to run with, without having to dig into their own prejudices.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I found it baffling that with all the millions that the ARU has given to the Reds, Tahs, Brumbies and the 10s of Millions thrown at the Rebels.

Yet the Force ask for 800k - and give up our intellectual property rights for it - We are the ones that are labelled financially struggling.
    Was the $800k to the Force a loan or a handout?

The money given to the QRU has been paid back and they expect to announce a profit for this financial year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post
    Was the $800k to the Force a loan or a handout?

The money given to the QRU has been paid back and they expect to announce a profit for this financial year.
    It was like a mortgage over our Intellectual Rights....or better described as a subpoena

A subpoena as our learned legal friends will tell you is a combination of 2 latin words ie sub meaning under or beneath and poena meaning penis, therefore "under the penis" or "by the balls".

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    From what I read it was a purchase of the IP with an option to be able to buy it back.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Correct Wholetruth

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby