Thread: Shanice Parker Signs With Aussie 7s

Champion
    vCash

Shanice Parker Signs With Aussie 7s

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/10...sevens-signing

Shanice Parker's swift Sevens rise has culminated in a national contract, with the 18-year-old the newest addition to the 2016-17 squad.

Parker switched to sevens from rugby league in 2014, making the national youth Sevens team and winning a Youth Olympic gold with the team.

The WA talent has been scouted in the 13-player game as well, training with rugby league's Jillaroos before making a permanent commitment to rugby.

Sevens coach Tim Walsh said Parker's adaptability made her a tantalising prospect for the program.

"Shanice has a been a promising Rugby Sevens talent since she made her debut for Western Australia at the National Youth Sevens Championship in 2014," he said.

“Shanice has worked hard when called upon to train with the Aussie Sevens team and has shown that she has what it takes to be a part of this squad.

“A jack of all trades and a master of some; her speed, footwork and contact skills will make her a valuable asset to this team.

“She is a versatile player and possess the attributes to be an Australian Women’s Sevens player.”

Parker is the only West Australian in the Sevens group, but she doesn't want to be the last.

"Hopefully the up and coming WA girls will be able to join me in the future," she said.

"I just never thought I'd be here."

"At first I thought twas going to be scary [playing with Olympic gold medallists] but they make it so much easier. They always pick us up."

The Aussie women will feature in the Oceania Sevens next month, before the 2016-17 World Series begins in Dubai on December 1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bloody Mungo.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David